Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

BBK 85mm TB any good?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/15, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
BBK 85mm TB any good?

Hoping I can get some insight.
I was given a BBK 85mm throtle body from a guy that just traded in his car.
It says you do not need a tune to run it, and there is a 10+ H.P. gain?
My question is I have a Procal tune, GT 500 mufflers and drop in K&N filter, could I run this? Will ther be any gains? Could it hurt anything?
It was free so I will try it if there is no chance of hurting anything!
I just know from back in the 90's when I put one on my first stock 1988 5.0 it made no difference!
Any insight would be great!
Thanks!
Old 2/5/15, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm sure there's hardly any difference on a stock N/A engine. Might make a difference if you're supercharged...
Old 2/6/15, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
if its free than nothing to loose. I dont think you will see and HP to speak of. But it is safe to install. If you want to donate it I can help :-)
Old 2/6/15, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll see no gains from it and it's waste of time to put it on. Even if it was free.

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 2/6/15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2/7/15, 05:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day you're still running the stock MAF housing, so it won't screw up the tune since the amount of air going in will still be correctly metered. Should be able to run it with no ill effects. I can't comment on whether you'll make any power from it. I don't know the diameter of the MAF housing off-hand. If it's bigger than the stock TB, then you've got a chance to feed in a little more air and make a little more power, but if it's the same as the stock housing or smaller, then that TB likely won't do anything performance wise.

Although, it will ramp up the effective throttle mapping a bit since it'll flow more air at a given throttle angle than the stocker due to the larger diameter. But ultimate power is going to still be limited by the size of the tube leading up to it.
Old 2/7/15, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Please install it and let us know what you think.
Old 2/7/15, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A waste of time,you wont see any performance gains with what you have now,none!
Old 2/7/15, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will put it on in the next few days and report back my finding!
Old 2/8/15, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I will put it on in the next few days and report back my finding!
Yup. Don't listen to the haters, just give it a go. If it doesn't work, only real loss is some wrench time...which isn't a loss in my books. Its therapy.
Old 2/9/15, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

we are not haters,we are stating fact!
Old 2/9/15, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponywars
Ty Webb: You take drugs, Danny?
Danny Noonan: Every day.
Ty Webb: Good. Then what's your problem?
Danny Noonan: I don't know.

Sorry that came to mind when I saw your name. Caddy shack

BK Performance Power Plus Series throttle bodies for the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Mustang GT, Boss 302, and 3.7L V6. Also the 2011-14 F Series Trucks with the Coyote 5.0 and 3.7L V6 & 3.5L Eco Boost powered vehicles. CNC machined from high quality 356 aluminum castings to ensure perfect OEM quality and fit every time. Installs in minutes, providing an 30-40 horsepower gain while maintaining OEM drivability and reliability by using factory style electronics and drive motor assembly. This throttle body is a direct replacement but is not simply a bored out factory unit. It's an all new BBK designed 356 aluminum casting that is then fully CNC machined.

It really said 8 to 12hp I would expect maybe a 3 to 5hp gain which you won't feel and you might get a little better throttle response.

OP please check your current miles per gallon before you swap things around please
Old 2/9/15, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an '06 GT with tune, CAI, and axlebacks when I added a larger diameter BBK throttle body. After installing the throttle body, and loading another tailored tune, I noticed an improvement in throttle response. I can't speak for HP/TQ gains, but the throttle was, without a doubt, more responsive. Additionally, it sounded sweet at WOT. 😎

You've got nothing to lose by trying it out. Let us know how it goes!
Old 2/9/15, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

YES! I take drugs everyday!!
Old 2/10/15, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
At the end of the day you're still running the stock MAF housing, so it won't screw up the tune since the amount of air going in will still be correctly metered. Should be able to run it with no ill effects. I can't comment on whether you'll make any power from it. I don't know the diameter of the MAF housing off-hand. If it's bigger than the stock TB, then you've got a chance to feed in a little more air and make a little more power, but if it's the same as the stock housing or smaller, then that TB likely won't do anything performance wise.

Although, it will ramp up the effective throttle mapping a bit since it'll flow more air at a given throttle angle than the stocker due to the larger diameter. But ultimate power is going to still be limited by the size of the tube leading up to it.
I found out the stock MAF housing is about 88mm (measured mine), the stock TB is 80mm, so there is a chance there for some benefit !
Old 2/10/15, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I installed the new BBK TB tonight, took about 30 min. taking my time.
I wii try it out tomorrow on my drive to work.
I drive the same rout everyday 45 mi. round trip mixed driving and over a 2 day period I have been averaging 21 mpg.
So test 1 will be seeing if there is any mpg change over the next 2 days.
Then test 2 this weekend I will open it up and see if I feel any power difference!

On a side note, I have a Moroso oil separator, and with the TB off I was able to check the inside of the intake manifold. Wow does that thing work!
The intake was completely clean, nothing inside after 8K miles! The car this TB came off from did not have a separator and the back of the TB and intake manifold was covered with carbon and oil residue! ( it had 14K mi. On it)
So +1 for the oil separator!
Old 2/12/15, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well after 2 days of testing the mpg difference with the new TB Iam happy to say I have picked up +1.3 mpg.
I averaged 21.1 for 2 days of the exact same drive and the only change was the TB.
Iam now getting 22.4 mpg.
Once I got home and finished my mileage test I went out and got on it some,
I can not notice any power difference!
But my idle seems to be smoother than before and there is a slight change in intake sound! (sounds good!)

In 2 weeks I will bring it to the drag strip to see if there is any noticeable difference there!
Old 2/13/15, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
But providing no technical background on which your "facts" are based. Quite simply, if the MAF housing is bigger than the TB there's an opportunity to flow more air. How much effect that has depends on a lot of things, but at the end of the day, there is no downside, because he didn't spend any money. So he can't lose by giving it a shot.
Old 2/13/15, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Well after 2 days of testing the mpg difference with the new TB Iam happy to say I have picked up +1.3 mpg.
I averaged 21.1 for 2 days of the exact same drive and the only change was the TB.
Iam now getting 22.4 mpg.
Once I got home and finished my mileage test I went out and got on it some,
I can not notice any power difference!
But my idle seems to be smoother than before and there is a slight change in intake sound! (sounds good!)

In 2 weeks I will bring it to the drag strip to see if there is any noticeable difference there!
Great writeup. Keep us posted on this, sounds like a nice mod to grab used for a basic bolt on build. Interested to see timeslips, though even those can be skewed by you being more experienced with the car, track prep and weather.

Also relieved to hear how effective your oil sep is. I bought mine based on your reconmendation and have been very happy. I've only pulled off the hose to the TB for a look on mine and it was always dry, but knowing yours is doing so well with 3 times the mileage gives me a lot of peace of mind.
Old 2/13/15, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Also relieved to hear how effective your oil sep is. I bought mine based on your reconmendation and have been very happy. I've only pulled off the hose to the TB for a look on mine and it was always dry, but knowing yours is doing so well with 3 times the mileage gives me a lot of peace of mind.
I can't believe everyone does not have a air/oil seperator!
Best preventive mod you can do on these cars!