Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Base Mustang Gt. What is it missing?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/12, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too bought a Base model since I had plans to modify her to be MY car, unlike any other one out there. I upgraded to the GT500 steering wheel, Shaker 500 Headunit, Leather Seats, Flowmater Exhaust, billet upper and lower grilles, projector headlights, 4 pedestal wing and a unique stripe package. This coming weekend it is a short throw shifter and Steeda shift bracket. By my count, I did all this and still came out over $2,000 LESS than if I had bought a Premium trim car and did not have to pay to have the standard item removed. It is a personal choice in fits but I like having a project car, even if it is brand new!
Old 1/29/12, 10:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
Nothing the Only options you need are

Brembo pkg

Perfect car.

The only things Ill add are OEM Recaro seats and alcantara steering wheel.
Amen to that. Just the performance options. All u need. And my 08 was fully loaded. Leather interior lighting ect......cloth seats hold u in the seat better than the leather. Just my .02 though. Had both and like the cloth seats more
Old 1/30/12, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
16 gallons X 8lbs/gal = 128lbs of fuel
That wasn't what I was asking about, but I'll use 6.1 lbs/gal if I weigh with a full tank
Old 1/31/12, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Biggest thing the base gt is missing is resale value......by the way, cloth seats are foreplay, but leather is sex!
Old 1/31/12, 10:23 AM

I personally prefer cloth seats to leather, always have. One of many reasons I got a base over a premium. If they offered some of the options you can only get with premium on the base as well, it would be nice and I might consider some of them.
Old 1/31/12, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Then only thing I am adding to the base interior is the Premium steering wheel, which I found a brand new one on EBAY for $89. Don’t need most of that other stuff, plus I like how the dash color matches the center console better than the Premium which has the bright silver dash then the gray on center console….may add a different shifter **** at some point but I think just adding the Premium wheel will be all it needs….the base wheel really was ugly.
Old 1/31/12, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen Brother - that plastic insult was the first thing I replaced. Good luck fighting the addiction to making mods - MMAS is a hard thing (on your wallet) to deal with LOL! MMAS = Mustaing Modification Addiction Syndrome
Old 1/31/12, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
Biggest thing the base gt is missing is resale value......
Probably might get a grand or two more if you go through a private buyer who would want to buy your car but with a dealer forget about it. They give you "auction price" and not kbb or nada trade in value which is way lower. At least thats what alot of dealers do around here in FL.
Old 2/4/12, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Overtorqued
Anybody know what weight difference there is between a base and typical premium optioned car? Probably not, but just curious. When I'm not feeling lazy I'll put my base GT on my scales, and I need to time it so it's either with a full fuel tank or on empty so I know how much fuel weight there is.
I weighed my base GT today. Manual trans, no options at all other than front plate bracket. Everything still in the car (floor mats, spare tire, etc). With a full tank of gas it weighed 3608 lbs.
Old 2/4/12, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kona stang10
Biggest thing the base gt is missing is resale value......
Depends if the car will ever be for sale.

I personally prefer cloth seats to leather, always have. One of many reasons I got a base over a premium. If they offered some of the options you can only get with premium on the base as well, it would be nice and I might consider some of them.
Agreed
Might have been nice to have the Shaker sound systems as an available option.
Old 2/4/12, 05:33 PM
Cobra R Member

That wasn't what I was asking about, but I'll use 6.1 lbs/gal if I weigh with a full tank
6.15 to be exact lol. that's the average but it depends on the temperature
Old 2/4/12, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
I too bought a Base model since I had plans to modify her to be MY car, unlike any other one out there. I upgraded to the GT500 steering wheel, Shaker 500 Headunit, Leather Seats, Flowmater Exhaust, billet upper and lower grilles, projector headlights, 4 pedestal wing and a unique stripe package. This coming weekend it is a short throw shifter and Steeda shift bracket. By my count, I did all this and still came out over $2,000 LESS than if I had bought a Premium trim car and did not have to pay to have the standard item removed. It is a personal choice in fits but I like having a project car, even if it is brand new!
Could not have said it better.
Old 2/5/12, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a base 2012 GT auto my Son has a 2011 Premium CS GT. I like my base model over all the whistles and bell that are in his CS. I'm not into all the electronic gadgets.
The difference between him and I are. He won't mod his and I'm modding the hell out of mine. No need for navigation, leather, shaker 1000 and ambient lighting to get down the 1320.
If I wanted a street cruiser, I would have bought a premium.