Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Barton or MGW

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/13, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barton or MGW

Yes I have used the search function and have read all the posts regarding the 2 shifters but I still need reasurance as to which one to purchase.
I have taken my car to the dealer for the hard 3rd gear shifting issue and was told there is nothing wrong with it but there is a TSB for cold weather...Bla Bla Bla

So in short I want to change out the shifter to see if that really helps.

Im leaning more and more on the MGW shifter at this point but would like to here any benefits to getting the Barton shifter with the 2 point bracket.
1. Do you have to do any install work under the car like the MGW? (not an issue just would like to know)
2. Hows the build quality compared to the MGW?
3. What made you purchase one brand over the other?

Thanks
Old 2/28/13, 11:48 AM
V6 Member

I went with the MGW because of the rave reviews everyone has given it. Honestly, at first I was very disappointed with it. It was very clunky, loud, and required a lot of effort to shift. However after ~500 miles the shifter has worn in and now shifts MUCH smoother than after the initial install. I've also noticed that it gets better as the car warms up (although that's most likely due to the transmission fluid warming up, the stiff resistance in the cold fluid is just more pronounced with this shifter). Hard shifts under power from 2nd to 3rd are leaps and bounds better than stock.

The shifter is still pretty loud for my taste, however, for me that's due to the fact that I was ran out of time during the install and wasnt able to use the dynamat or put on the heat shield. I plan to complete it next weekend and I'll let you know how it changes the NVH. Even without it though, it's easy to drown out the noise with light music.

Install tip: take your time with the shift boot - it's a real pain in the a** but it's important to keeping the noise down, so do it right.
Old 2/28/13, 02:26 PM
V6 Member

MGW and you wont be sorry at all.
Old 2/28/13, 02:26 PM
GT Member

My $.02...
I installed the SR Shifter (Steeda Copy) and the Steeda Bracket at 200 miles. This was also done with a fluid change out to BG Syncro shift II. While it totally changed the dynamics of speed shifting, I would still get 3rd gear lockouts. The design of the MT-82's gates forces you to "push" up into the 2nd to 3rd shift, no "helping". Last week I installed the MGW (at 10340 miles), and feel this should have been the first mod, not the SR/Steeda. Having put 500 hard miles on it, it was worth every penny and drop of blood installing it. The centering spring has enabled me to shift it as hard as I want, literally slamming in from 2nd to 3rd with no lock outs or missing the gate. The engineering that went into the MGW is miles above the current selection of shifters. Now with that said, if you do not plan on racing, open tracking or any aggressive driving the Barton setup will do. My original SR/Steeda was fine for daily driving, but didn't cut it when I wanted to open it up or race. As far as fluids go the BG Syncro Shift II or Redline MTL both are 100% better than the factory fill.
Old 2/28/13, 02:32 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my research is complete and I'll also be upgrading to the MGW with a fluid change to the redline mtl. My car rolled off the assembly line in April, I plan on the MGW upgrade as a birthday present. I can get away with that as I'm also an April boy...
Old 2/28/13, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a MGW will be on a shelf in my garage before my car gets here (ETA of 3/27).
Old 2/28/13, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Both great shifters!
Old 3/1/13, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I will be getting a MGW as well. Never heard on bad thing about it. Shortened throws and can be adjusted as well.
Old 3/1/13, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the responces, It appears the very first mod I will be puttiing on my CS will be the MGW shifter. Now I just have to break out the credit card and place my order.

1 last question about the MGW.

They show 2 handles for it, the OEM size or the MGW size.
Are the diameter of the shifter ***** the same size for both or is one larger than the other? Im not sure if I should just go with the OEM size or MGW!!
I mean a shifter ball is just a shifter ball. Does one or the other really matter?

My car has the ugly leather handle which is comfortable but doesnt really give the car a sports car look if that says anything.

I should add that when ordering I will be going with the Black Rally Ball with the Silver stripes without a logo to match the Exterior of my car

Last edited by TORMENTOR; 3/1/13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
Thanks for the responces, It appears the very first mod I will be puttiing on my CS will be the MGW shifter. Now I just have to break out the credit card and place my order.

1 last question about the MGW.

They show 2 handles for it, the OEM size or the MGW size.
Are the diameter of the shifter ***** the same size for both or is one larger than the other? Im not sure if I should just go with the OEM size or MGW!!
I mean a shifter ball is just a shifter ball. Does one or the other really matter?

My car has the ugly leather handle which is comfortable but doesnt really give the car a sports car look if that says anything.

I should add that when ordering I will be going with the Black Rally Ball with the Silver stripes without a logo to match the Exterior of my car

That is the thread size, 2 diff threads are available, I got the thread that is differnt than stock, more **** choices.
Old 3/1/13, 11:40 PM
GT Member

I will be placing my order on Monday for the MGW shifter and their Rally shifter ball along with placing an order for the Borla S type exhaust.
Old 3/2/13, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I love my Barton. No regrets at all
Old 3/2/13, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Why spend all your money on a shifter that only replaces the top part and then you have to bolt on a separate bracket? Spend the extra 75.00 and buy a complete kit.
Old 3/2/13, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a barton 2 post bracket on my stock shifter and love it!
Old 3/2/13, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fake
Why spend all your money on a shifter that only replaces the top part and then you have to bolt on a separate bracket? Spend the extra 75.00 and buy a complete kit.
I thought the MGW was the complete kit!!
Old 3/2/13, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

He was talking about the Barton. You are right - the MGW does replace the whole she-bang.

I'm also considering the Borla S-type axle backs. They seem like a nice middle ground.
Old 3/2/13, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

This isn't even a question MGW
Old 3/2/13, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the complete Barton shifter kit although mines on a 2010 gt.
Old 3/3/13, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
MGW nuff said !!
Old 3/3/13, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I got a good deal on an un-used Steeda Tri Ax so once Barton came out with the improved 2 post design I pulled the trigger.

I prefer the easier installation, MGWs are awesome but the Steeda/Barton combo is a really great improvement.

Quick Reply: Barton or MGW