Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Bama tune and airaid cai issues

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/14, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
Maybe you could be more specific as to what parts you personally purchased that were 75% cheaper than AM's selling price. Not saying it's not possible but I'm curious as to what those parts were. I've purchased from them in the past and with the forum discount their prices have always been competitive plus they ship fast and they have excellent customer service. But if you, personally, believe you're being marked up for being a "sucker" the solution to your "problem" is to shop somewhere else. This thread was started by someone who has a problem with a part he may have installed incorrectly. It also appears that he never contacted AM about his problem. After receiving some helpful advice along with the requisite AM bashing, an AM rep jumps in with trouble shooting advice and offers to have someone from AM call him directly. What more would you have them do?
He didn't say 75% less. He said 3/4 the price listed. That means 25% less. And I agree. Lots of parts are less elsewhere. I'll agree that they ship fast. But their CS is pretty bad. The reps on the phone have ZERO product knowledge. BAMA has ZERO clue how to tune. And the reps on forums are hired for one purpose. To give away the world in effort to distract from the problem.

Good companies don't need reps on boards to "save" customers. Do you ever see the steeda rep giving away stuff? Or a bobs motorsports rep at all? How about Hypermotive, has anyone seen them give away stuff? No, bc they don't have problems.

Last edited by typesredline; 8/2/14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 8/2/14, 09:24 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
He didn't say 75% less. He said 3/4 the price listed. That means 25% less. And I agree. Lots of parts are less elsewhere. I'll agree that they ship fast. But their CS is pretty bad. The reps on the phone have ZERO product knowledge. BAMA has ZERO clue how to tune. And the reps on forums are hired for one purpose. To give away the world in effort to distract from the problem.

Good companies don't need reps on boards to "save" customers. Do you ever see the steeda rep giving away stuff? Or a bobs motorsports rep at all? How about Hypermotive, has anyone seen them give away stuff? No, bc they don't have problems.
Thanks for the correction - what you said is what I meant.

I still would like to see some examples of non-sale items 25% less than AM. At that price I'd shop there also.
You can always find a cheaper part and I always shop around but if AM has a part for the price I want to pay I have no hesitation using them. As far as I know they are the only company that warranties their tune against the cylinder #8 issue. Whether you think their tunes are crap or not that's peace of mind and there are plenty of people who are happy with a BAMA tune.

As far as giving stuff away - how can that possibly be a negative? The fact that other companies don't do it proves nothing imo. That's AM's business model and if it makes a customer happy and using AM again then it makes sense to me. I don't know of anyone who complains about getting something for free as an apology for any inconvenience they suffered.
Although I don't know this for a fact I believe AM is one of the largest Mustang vendors out there. Every vendor can screw up but because of AM's size their problems get magnified.

My initial response to this thread wasn't as an AM fanboy. It was a response to people jumping in to bash AM when, based on what I've read so far, it may have been an installation problem.
Old 8/2/14, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I researched and shopped a dozen places before I bought my grilles, gauges/pod and wheels. With a couple of different discount codes, the parts came in cheaper than all other sites.
AM is the same as any other website, some parts are cheaper and others are more expensive.
Old 8/2/14, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OP--Did you get your issue sorted out?
Old 8/2/14, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
Not sure why a few like to bust AM's ***** all of the time. I never had an issue with them, I'm a happy customer.
Yea. There must be some history that I/we don't know about. AM has been good to me. I have bought a half dozen things from them and they are at the house the next day most times. Prices are competitive and any questions I have asked have been promptly answered. Let's not forget they are in business for one reason...to make a profit. Treating customers well increases the likelihood of that. So far... so good. YMMV of course.
Old 8/3/14, 06:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
One of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. Thank you.
Lololol! Or trying to give him massive amounts if free stuff bc they love to help aka give away the business.
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Meh... My problem is, I look through their catalog, pick out a part I like, google it and find it for 3/4 the price AM has it listed for. I don't really appreciate being marked up for being a "sucker." "AM is always here to help" unless that help is finding a reasonable price.
Lol. Nice to know you guys feel the same. Just sick of their charades. Maybe TunerBoost works for AM? Lol.

Originally Posted by Len
After receiving some helpful advice along with the requisite AM bashing, an AM rep jumps in with trouble shooting advice and offers to have someone from AM call him directly. What more would you have them do?
Your quote above here is the problem. AFTER. Is the key word. AFTER I point out their charades. AFTER I point out that he specifically told him to "call bama directly". AFTER he said that, I responded calling him out, and what did he do? Now he goes into an explanation that IF he called AM he would have helped. Ummm ok. How about offering to answer his questions NOW? Instead of directing him to the tuner? Hey, you sell the product right? You better be able to answer questions and provide direct support, at least initially.

You know, everytime I call their bs, now they chime and essentially say "hey...that's not what I meant, I really meant xxxxx...". Lol it's hilarious. Because of me, I recall someone getting a free wheel. And now, hopefully with my calling out of AM, the OP gets some customer service and support from AM. I consider that a success.

But as I stated before, they'll never get my business. Ever. (Had personal experience/history in the past...never again)

He didn't say 75% less. He said 3/4 the price listed. That means 25% less. And I agree. Lots of parts are less elsewhere. I'll agree that they ship fast. But their CS is pretty bad. The reps on the phone have ZERO product knowledge. BAMA has ZERO clue how to tune. And the reps on forums are hired for one purpose. To give away the world in effort to distract from the problem. Good companies don't need reps on boards to "save" customers. Do you ever see the steeda rep giving away stuff? Or a bobs motorsports rep at all? How about Hypermotive, has anyone seen them give away stuff? No, bc they don't have problems.
Eggggggsactly. Nothing more to add here. Perfectly said.
Old 8/3/14, 07:59 AM
Len
GT Member

Your quote above here is the problem. AFTER. Is the key word. AFTER I point out their charades. AFTER I point out that he specifically told him to "call bama directly". AFTER he said that, I responded calling him out, and what did he do? Now he goes into an explanation that IF he called AM he would have helped. Ummm ok. How about offering to answer his questions NOW? Instead of directing him to the tuner? Hey, you sell the product right? You better be able to answer questions and provide direct support, at least initially.

You know, everytime I call their bs, now they chime and essentially say "hey...that's not what I meant, I really meant xxxxx...". Lol it's hilarious. Because of me, I recall someone getting a free wheel. And now, hopefully with my calling out of AM, the OP gets some customer service and support from AM. I consider that a success.

But as I stated before, they'll never get my business. Ever. (Had personal experience/history in the past...never again)
Obviously I'm missing something. Is your issue that the AM rep told him to contact Bama to resolve his problem? My understanding is that Bama is American Muscle. When you go to Bama's webpage you see "powered by American Muscle" and when you click on the tuner link you are taken to AM's site. So what's the problem with the AM rep having him contact Bama since obviously it's a Bama tune? You'll note in the AM reps sig that phone numbers for both Bama and AM are given which appears to confirm that they are the same. So unless you feel that all troubleshooting should be done in this forum, the AM rep pointed him in the correct direction - before your post.
If you want to take credit for AMs second response, go ahead but it's the same advice the OP would have received had he called Bama and/or AM directly which is probably what he should have done in the first place.

Also - the OP states he put the MAF in backwards (#6). Are you going to blame AM for that too?

I think any reasonable person would conclude that AM acted responsibly up to this point. We may never know the outcome since the OP seems to have abandoned the thread.

My issue from the beginning has been the unwarranted bashing of AM as it relates to this thread only. Your issue appears to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that you had a problem in the past with AM that was so severe that you intend to knock them any chance you get.
Old 8/3/14, 10:34 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
Obviously I'm missing something. Is your issue that the AM rep told him to contact Bama to resolve his problem? My understanding is that Bama is American Muscle. When you go to Bama's webpage you see "powered by American Muscle" and when you click on the tuner link you are taken to AM's site. So what's the problem with the AM rep having him contact Bama since obviously it's a Bama tune? You'll note in the AM reps sig that phone numbers for both Bama and AM are given which appears to confirm that they are the same. So unless you feel that all troubleshooting should be done in this forum, the AM rep pointed him in the correct direction - before your post. If you want to take credit for AMs second response, go ahead but it's the same advice the OP would have received had he called Bama and/or AM directly which is probably what he should have done in the first place. Also - the OP states he put the MAF in backwards (#6). Are you going to blame AM for that too? I think any reasonable person would conclude that AM acted responsibly up to this point. We may never know the outcome since the OP seems to have abandoned the thread. My issue from the beginning has been the unwarranted bashing of AM as it relates to this thread only. Your issue appears to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that you had a problem in the past with AM that was so severe that you intend to knock them any chance you get.
Not worth getting into the why's etc. Hey if you love AM and bama, great for you. Good luck.

I'm not going to explain my situation to every forum member that isn't familiar. If you want to know, search. And read. You'll find tons of info about my situation and many many many many many many, oh and many other folks who had a sour AM experience.

You sound like a decent and smart guy. So read up, research, and get informed.
Old 8/3/14, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Was probably already mentioned but I am not reading the entire thread..
I metioned to airaid I didnt like the water dripping the the filter.. They sent me a water proof pre filter cover, and a metal gaurd.. I only used the prefilter, zero problems ever
Old 8/3/14, 04:02 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Not worth getting into the why's etc. Hey if you love AM and bama, great for you. Good luck.
Never said I loved anyone. What I love is the lowest price and if AM has it I buy from them and will continue to do so until they or any other vendor I use, and I've used a bunch, gives me bad service. So far I've been lucky - no problems with anyone.

I'm not going to explain my situation to every forum member that isn't familiar. If you want to know, search. And read. You'll find tons of info about my situation and many many many many many many, oh and many other folks who had a sour AM experience.
No offense but I don't need to know what problems you or anyone else has with AM. I've been in this forum and others for years and have read the complaints - and the resolutions - with AM and other vendors. I've also seen many satisfied customers.
My entire point is that AM did nothing wrong in this thread so there was no need to bash them here. It added nothing to the conversation. If the OP comes back with a horror story then I would rethink that position.

You sound like a decent and smart guy...
Now we agree on something!
Ride safe.
Old 8/3/14, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

allfordmustangs recently instituted an anti vendor-bashing policy to avoid useless discussions like this one. As is so often the case the original issue, along with the OP, have gotten lost in the midst of all the diatribe. FWIW it is not possible to install the MAF sensor backwards because the holes won't line up. It may be possible to not seat the sensor properly. If you haven't already done so I would return everything to stock, confirm that it runs properly, then reinstall the part. It is amazing how may times simply R&R'ing something solves a problem.
Old 8/4/14, 04:39 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
allfordmustangs recently instituted an anti vendor-bashing policy to avoid useless discussions like this one. As is so often the case the original issue, along with the OP, have gotten lost in the midst of all the diatribe. FWIW it is not possible to install the MAF sensor backwards because the holes won't line up. It may be possible to not seat the sensor properly. If you haven't already done so I would return everything to stock, confirm that it runs properly, then reinstall the part. It is amazing how may times simply R&R'ing something solves a problem.
I agree with this! It is getting real old seeing people bash AM in every AM post they can find. Please leave regular post alone and start your AM bash of the day thread.

It could be a simple as he forgot to plug in the MAF sensor, did it one time. The car starts and dies as soon as you touch the pedal. Will throw the wrench just like mentioned. Hope he found the help he needed in this mess of a thread.
Old 8/4/14, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I was going to mention that I was surprised that mods allow vendor bashing, but I figured I would get the response "its a public form".
Old 8/4/14, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

You guys realize that you have spent more time and made more "off topic" posts complaining about the bashing than there was actual bashing?

If we want to be on topic, let's do that.
Old 8/5/14, 03:46 PM

OP, did you get the problem sorted out?
Old 8/5/14, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Lololol! Or trying to give him massive amounts if free stuff bc they love to help aka give away the business.

You guys realize that you have spent more time and made more "off topic" posts complaining about the bashing than there was actual bashing?

If we want to be on topic, let's do that.
I count 8 bashes of which 25% are yours.
I count 8 supporters.

What tune are you currently using?
Clearly you have a knowledge base that is beyond that of us simpletons.

You need to start a thread of your own extolling the virtues of your tune over others.
If you choose to do so please provide empirical rather than anecdotal data.

Thanks
Old 8/5/14, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I count 8 bashes of which 25% are yours. I count 8 supporters. What tune are you currently using? Clearly you have a knowledge base that is beyond that of us simpletons. You need to start a thread of your own extolling the virtues of your tune over others. If you choose to do so please provide empirical rather than anecdotal data. Thanks
I've seen enough of their errors and numerous attempts to fix it to no avail to know what I need to know.

I've tuned cars using AEM to Hondata to COBB for over 10 yrs. The issues that Bama has and the length it takes them to fix it is ridiculous and consistent with tuners that have no clue. This is no different of an observation than an experienced detailer looking at paint after someone else's detail and pointing out what was done wrong.

I'm not selling tunes. I don't have any to even sell. But I know experience when I see it...or don't.

Now clearly, you don't want to be on topic. You'd rather be witty about the 8 v 8 comments. Maybe you should start a thread to complain about the "non-simpletons".

Last edited by typesredline; 8/5/14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 8/5/14, 09:26 PM
GT Member

I've seen enough of their errors and numerous attempts to fix it to no avail to know what I need to know.

I've tuned cars using AEM to Hondata to COBB for over 10 yrs. The issues that Bama has and the length it takes them to fix it is ridiculous and consistent with tuners that have no clue. This is no different of an observation than an experienced detailer looking at paint after someone else's detail and pointing out what was done wrong.

I'm not selling tunes. I don't have any to even sell. But I know experience when I see it...or don't.

Now clearly, you don't want to be on topic. You'd rather be witty about the 8 v 8 comments. Maybe you should start a thread to complain about the "non-simpletons".

I will ask again.
What tune are you using?
Old 8/5/14, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I will ask again. What tune are you using?
I answered you. I don't run one. I don't see how that's relevant. PS...you're still off topic. That count is getting further in my favor.
Old 8/5/14, 09:34 PM
GT Member

I answered you. I don't run one. I don't see how that's relevant. PS...you're still off topic. That count is getting further in my favor.
Okay.
You have no firsthand experience with any 5.0 tune.
That will do.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Bama tune and airaid cai issues