Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Attention Evo Performance: MT drivetrain questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/10, 08:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Evo Performance: MT drivetrain questions

How many clutches have you gone through?
Did you happen to weigh the stock flywheel when you replaced the clutch? How much did it weigh?
Are you re-using the original flywheel? If so, did you resurface it? The OE piece is a dual-mass unit, correct? Can it be resurfaced?
If you're not using the OE unit, what aftermarket flywheel are you using? How much does it weigh?

And...
How is the shifting action of the transmission during high rpm load? Is it balky at all? How about the h-pattern? I don't have any experiencing drag racing mustangs, but my best friend's wife had an 06 GT for a couple of years, and from what I recall the horizontal separation in the 2>3 shift was abnormally long.

thanks for the feedback
Old 5/11/10, 11:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo performance, I would also like to know all of your blood types.. lol
Old 5/13/10, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

2-day bump. Come on Evo, help out the community.
Old 5/13/10, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt they'll say anything, they have repeatedly mentioned that all the info will be in the latest 5.0 Mag, holding out here boosts sales there (until someone scans the article)
Old 5/13/10, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

I understand that is likely the shop's stance, and I can even understand it(somewhat) regarding topics like tuning. But disclosing the weight of the factory flywheel and if it can be resurfaced or not doesn't really help any one.

I predict that one of the first things that I'll do (whenever I get the car) will be to replace the clutch. However, I don't want to go with a lightweight flywheel if I can help it. I've already done that once, and it's not something I would like to do again. That's the reason I asked if the stocker could be resurfaced. The stock flywheel in the g35 is a dual-mass setup, and most have stated it cannot be resurfaced. I would like to know if that is a property common to dual-mass setups, or just that one unit.
Old 5/13/10, 12:45 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
I predict that one of the first things that I'll do (whenever I get the car) will be to replace the clutch. However, I don't want to go with a lightweight flywheel if I can help it. I've already done that once, and it's not something I would like to do again. That's the reason I asked if the stocker could be resurfaced. The stock flywheel in the g35 is a dual-mass setup, and most have stated it cannot be resurfaced. I would like to know if that is a property common to dual-mass setups, or just that one unit.
Someone who has access to the 2011 factory service manual should also be able to answer your question.
Old 5/13/10, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by t-ray
I understand that is likely the shop's stance, and I can even understand it(somewhat) regarding topics like tuning. But disclosing the weight of the factory flywheel and if it can be resurfaced or not doesn't really help any one.

I'm sure when JJ from WMS gets his he'll be more then happy to share info with the community. The cloak and dagger responses from Evo so far have been underwhelming. I realize they are working with 5.0 mag but still it would be nice if they were more forthcoming.
Old 5/13/10, 05:42 PM
GT Member

I understand completely that EVO can't divulge all the info we would like to have right now. Wish they would, but I understand why they don't.

On the topic...my main questions are drag racing related....to wit...how is the MT82 for powershifting? Can 5th be powershifted?
Old 5/13/10, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
I'm sure when JJ from WMS gets his he'll be more then happy to share info with the community. The cloak and dagger responses from Evo so far have been underwhelming. I realize they are working with 5.0 mag but still it would be nice if they were more forthcoming.
I will have our 2011 GT in my hands tomorrow morning. Driving it back from NC. Call me tomorrow.

I plan on sharing alot of information with everyone.

JJ
Old 5/13/10, 09:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
I will have our 2011 GT in my hands tomorrow morning. Driving it back from NC. Call me tomorrow.

I plan on sharing alot of information with everyone.

JJ
Sweet, talk to you tomorrow!
Old 5/13/10, 11:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The 3.7 and 5.0 have single plate clutch. Only the 5.4 has the dual plate.
Old 5/14/10, 04:53 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by ManEHawke
The 3.7 and 5.0 have single plate clutch. Only the 5.4 has the dual plate.
Correct, single plate clutches, but now both have DUAL-MASS flywheels.