Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/15, 03:29 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?

Does anyone out there have experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit? One version offers a 1/2 inch drop, and the other offers a 1 inch drop. Are the improvements worth the price? ($1399) I'm not really concerned with the drop distance because I'm kinda over dodging driveways, speed bumps, and gutters. Thanks!
Old 3/31/15, 11:46 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I believe the 1 inch drop is the same as what is installed on the Roush Stage 2 & 3. I have a 2014 Stage 2 and there are no real issues with speed bumps, normal driveways, and gutters. Lower, but not too low. If the curb is higher than normal when parking you will need to watch, but most are fine. Car does handle very nice, stiff, and tight. I have not driven much of the stock suspension, just a test drive compare before I ordered mine. Roush definitely hugs the road a better. Love the way mine feels. You will need to have decent tires to go with the suspension change.
Old 4/1/15, 04:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I believe the 1 inch drop is the same as what is installed on the Roush Stage 2 & 3. I have a 2014 Stage 2 and there are no real issues with speed bumps, normal driveways, and gutters. Lower, but not too low. If the curb is higher than normal when parking you will need to watch, but most are fine. Car does handle very nice, stiff, and tight. I have not driven much of the stock suspension, just a test drive compare before I ordered mine. Roush definitely hugs the road a better. Love the way mine feels. You will need to have decent tires to go with the suspension change.
X2 for the decent tires. I have the ford racing suspension pack and drove for a season on the factory tires. Just this past week got a new whewl/tire package and wow what a difference.
Old 4/1/15, 05:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I would say its as good as some of the other packages out there. STEEDA also you may save a few bucks by going with Koni shocks and struts along with some Steeda springs.
What all comes with the Roush package?
Old 4/1/15, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve been running the Roush 1/2” drop kit in my ‘14 GT base model for the past 8,000 + miles which IMO is a nice handling improvement while maintaining ground clearance and ride quality. This kit can be upgraded with the Roush wheel hop kit and the Roush LCA's, both which are rubber bushed for NVH.

Originally Posted by Glenn
What all comes with the Roush package?
Here you go: http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2014.html
Old 4/1/15, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
I’ve been running the Roush 1/2” drop kit in my ‘14 GT base model for the past 8,000 + miles which IMO is a nice handling improvement while maintaining ground clearance and ride quality. This kit can be upgraded with the Roush wheel hop kit and the Roush LCA's, both which are rubber bushed for NVH. Here you go: http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2014.html
I didn't know you had this kit! Can you post some pics? I've been recommending this kit to those who don't necessarily want to lower their car, but want better handling. I'd love to see how much it actually lowers...
Old 4/1/15, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I didn't know you had this kit! Can you post some pics? I've been recommending this kit to those who don't necessarily want to lower their car, but want better handling. I'd love to see how much it actually lowers...
Patrick, I had the kit installed with just 500 miles on my brand new ‘14 GT. Pics I’ve posted on TMS in the past were all with the 1/2” drop kit. Nobody notices the drop because it’s minimal and unassuming. Here’s a couple of camera phone pics and I’m running 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 tires.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?-20150401_081737_resized-2-.jpg   Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?-20141222_080724_resized_3-2-.jpg   Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?-wt2-copy.jpg  
Old 4/1/15, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Patrick, I had the kit installed with just 500 miles on my brand new ‘14 GT. Pics I’ve posted on TMS in the past were all with the 1/2” drop kit. Nobody notices the drop because it’s minimal and unassuming. Here’s a couple of camera phone pics and I’m running 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 tires.
Looks good John! The bigger tires help fill in the wheel wells.
Old 4/1/15, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
If your not looking for a drop at all just adding better sway bars improves things nicely. As far as shocks and struts go I went with Konis and never looked back. Lifetime warranty I think you can get a set right now non adjustable for around 375 and sway bars for 450- 500. The springs on your car right now are great for an everyday driver. I would say the Roush stuff is a little high price wise.
Old 4/5/15, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've been eying the Roush Track suspension kit as well. I have a few questions though.

Does anyone know who makes the front struts, and if they are adjustable? Also where can I get the replacement struts? I looked on Roush performance website and I could only find the rear shocks. Thanks for any info on this!
Old 4/5/15, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I've been eying the Roush Track suspension kit as well. I have a few questions though.

Does anyone know who makes the front struts, and if they are adjustable? Also where can I get the replacement struts? I looked on Roush performance website and I could only find the rear shocks. Thanks for any info on this!
There are two different suspension kits, the performance kit (1/2” drop) and the track kit (1.0” drop). I can only comment on my performance kit ... the struts are proprietary, non-adjustable and came with a individual replacement part number list using Roush part numbers. The kit is not kept in stock, but is assembled to order at the Roush warehouse, boxed up and shipped out which takes an extra couple of days. (same deal with their phase 1/2/3 supercharger kits) I would surmise that the Roush track kit is handled in the same manner.
Old 4/6/15, 06:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe tokico is the manufacturer
Old 4/6/15, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
There are two different suspension kits, the performance kit (1/2” drop) and the track kit (1.0” drop). I can only comment on my performance kit ... the struts are proprietary, non-adjustable and came with a individual replacement part number list using Roush part numbers. The kit is not kept in stock, but is assembled to order at the Roush warehouse, boxed up and shipped out which takes an extra couple of days. (same deal with their phase 1/2/3 supercharger kits) I would surmise that the Roush track kit is handled in the same manner.
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I believe tokico is the manufacturer
Thanks guys. I'm getting more interested in this kit, particularly since I live 5 miles from Roush facility here in Michigan. It would be nice to get a whole kit, and get it installed by the manufacturer. I just wish there was an option for adjustable shocks.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/6/15 at 10:58 AM.
Old 4/6/15, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ford racing kit I used in my tag tag line is adjustable. It's the same kit used on the boss 302S.
Old 4/12/15, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Thanks guys. I'm getting more interested in this kit, particularly since I live 5 miles from Roush facility here in Michigan. It would be nice to get a whole kit, and get it installed by the manufacturer. I just wish there was an option for adjustable shocks.

Let us know if we can help you out!

In all honesty, Sway bars are the very last thing you should do to this suspension. First would be the dampers and springs, the struts and shocks are really lacking.

The whole kit works very well with one another. If you're not going to be road coursing your car you'll be good to go. We found that running Toyo R888's are any conti slicks they would outperform the Roush suspension.

For the street, its a great setup and will be a good upgrade over stock. I would, however, look into upgraded Strut mounts or CC plates. You could easily get your car back within spec without using CC bolts but if you have the desire to run negative camber CC plates would be needed. If not, a quick flip of the strut mounts and you're golden. Any alignment shop can get you back within spec.

If you have any questions just give us a shout!
Old 4/21/15, 02:32 PM

I noticed that the Roush Suspension kits do not have a pan hard bar included. Is it safe to assume you won't need a bar or watts link for this suspension because it does not shift the axle after lowering?
Old 4/22/15, 12:38 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Roush and therefore the Roush suspension, as you say they have the stock pan hard bar. There is a slight offset of the rear, but I only notice this because I measured it, to the eye it looks fine and I only measured it after reading about it on these forums.
I doubt they could sell their cars if they looked out of wack especially with the premium price they command. There is no way for me of telling by driving it either.
If I were looking to modify a stock Mustang I would check out all of the options and look for the best value for my dollar, as I said I have the Roush but other suppliers do packages as well, I would talk to them and make my choice after that. Personally I like the look of the Steeda packages, I know there are others that if I was looking I would investigate as well, one of them will easily be able to meet your requirements with out having to pay for the 'name' as well.
Hope this helps.

P.S. I can't compare the Roush to a stock ride as I have only ever driven the Roush, it does ride firm but I like that as that was what I was buying, a sport car ride and not a cruiser. It looks low but for me still has good ground clearance, your mileage my vary.
Old 4/22/15, 01:48 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the pics silverstate. Looks great. I am getting 1/2 inch drop springs only due to budget. Just hoping to reduce nose dive and squat for now. Any comments as to springs only? I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 4/22/15, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rs999
I noticed that the Roush Suspension kits do not have a pan hard bar included. Is it safe to assume you won't need a bar or watts link for this suspension because it does not shift the axle after lowering?
I use the factory non-adjustable panhard bar and haven’t noticed any alignment, driveability or visual issues with the Roush 1/2" drop kit. The Roush 1.0" drop kit would probably require an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 4/22/15, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
Thanks for the pics silverstate. Looks great. I am getting 1/2 inch drop springs only due to budget. Just hoping to reduce nose dive and squat for now. Any comments as to springs only? I'll keep y'all posted.
You’re welcome. IDK about springs only as I never tried it. With the 1/2” drop on 18” wheels, my measurements are: 28.0” (front) & 28.50” (rear) and you can see the factory rake/stance is still present. Larger wheels will help close up the wheel gap.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?-roush-kit-ride-height-copy.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience with the Roush Performance Suspension Kit?