Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Aluminum driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/11, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum driveshaft?

Who has one? How much lighter is it than the 2 piece stock unit? Is there any noise after completing this mod? all input appreciated from people that know the benefits for the 11/12's with this mod. thanks
Old 7/2/11, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I like mine and didn't really notice any more noise. I did notice a little more pep and a little better mpg's. The 2012 shafts are expensive arn't they?
Old 7/2/11, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

What year do you have? 11/12's are the same. Why did they go to a 2 piece unit anyways?
Old 7/2/11, 03:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
What year do you have? 11/12's are the same. Why did they go to a 2 piece unit anyways?
Mustangs have had a 2-piece driveshaft since the 2005 model year for reducing noise, vibration, and harshness.
Old 7/7/11, 02:00 PM

No problems with my Shaftmasters.
Old 7/8/11, 01:05 PM
GT Member

I heard safety was an issue & that the 1 piece should have a safety loop, where the 2 piece doesn't require one.
Old 7/9/11, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

I thought that was more so mandated by track officials/safety regulations at any drag strip. Not really a necessatiy fro daily driving.
Old 7/10/11, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Mustangs have had a 2-piece driveshaft since the 2005 model year for reducing noise, vibration, and harshness.
If the 2 piece unit reduces NVH, then why buy a 1 piece? Glenn said he didn't notice anymore noise and got slightly better gas mileage. I wonder why they just didn't put this on from the factory. I bet the price difference wouldn't be that much.
Old 7/10/11, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
If the 2 piece unit reduces NVH, then why buy a 1 piece? Glenn said he didn't notice anymore noise and got slightly better gas mileage. I wonder why they just didn't put this on from the factory. I bet the price difference wouldn't be that much.
Somebody once said they suspect for safety reasons based on where the fuel tank resides on the 2005+ Mustang. Kinda makes sense, but I'm sure the NVH argument plays in as well, as the cars has to be below a certain decibel at highway speeds.

I remember my 1-piece aluminum driveshaft in my 1984 Mustang, and while the cars wasn't too loud, that driveshaft sure made some pinging noises from time to time. Never enough to annoy you, just enough to remind you it was there.
Old 7/10/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My installation did not result in more noise or vibration. Its been on for 12k miles so far. Because it was installed concurrent with the 3.73 gears, I can't seperate the effect on acceleration. However the effect of them both was noticable. Larger than the effect of the cai and tune. All together, this gt is very different than when I drove it off the dealers lot.
Old 7/10/11, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I believe people who buy the 1-piece do it for removing weight and rotational mass more than anything, especially for drag racing.

The S197 Mustang has a longer driveshaft than the previous generation. My understanding of what Ford did was to combat some of the driveline clunk and "whiplash" from the SN-95 days was to have that big weight in the middle to counter some of the windup. Recall the driveline weights that people would take off the SN-95 Mustangs at the rear of the shaft? There is a possibility that the removal would result in a little more jerky feeling upon acceleration. I've experienced that firsthand in my 2001 Bullitt, especially since it is supercharged, when I changed out my driveshaft from stock to a Ford Racing aluminum one. The driveline weights were removed upon the finding the new part was balanced.

Also, I thought I had read somewhere about the change in the pinion angle playing a factor. When you go to a single piece, I believe that can be affected because the of the angling of the 2 pieces vs having a single piece.

In Ford's literature for the 2005 Mustang, it was generally advertised that improving the NVH characteristics was the reason for the change.

I think people's experiences vary, based on the manufacturing variations among different products.
Old 8/1/11, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Who has one? How much lighter is it than the 2 piece stock unit? Is there any noise after completing this mod? all input appreciated from people that know the benefits for the 11/12's with this mod. thanks

if youre really considering a 1 piece, id look into dynotech engineering. they have all types of driveshafts, from aluminum to carbon fiber in 3" and 3.5". they can also do custom driveshafts. in terms of weight, youll save 20-25 pounds going with a one piece depending on what matieral its made out of. obviously carbon fiber weighs less then aluminum and can handle excessive amounts of horsepower. also when installing a 1 piece its recommened a driveshaft saftey loop be installed. i recommend BMR suspension. they just released their new one for the 2011+ mustangs. hope this helps! best of luck
Old 8/3/11, 07:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
if youre really considering a 1 piece, id look into dynotech engineering. they have all types of driveshafts, from aluminum to carbon fiber in 3" and 3.5". they can also do custom driveshafts. in terms of weight, youll save 20-25 pounds going with a one piece depending on what matieral its made out of. obviously carbon fiber weighs less then aluminum and can handle excessive amounts of horsepower. also when installing a 1 piece its recommened a driveshaft saftey loop be installed. i recommend BMR suspension. they just released their new one for the 2011+ mustangs. hope this helps! best of luck
20lbs of rotating mass is a serious improvement.
Old 8/3/11, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Aluminum driveshaft alone shaved 2/10ths off the Steeda car in the 1/4.
Old 8/3/11, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
20lbs of rotating mass is a serious improvement.

ya its pretty impressive. in my opinion, a 1 piece driveshaft should be one of the first mods a person does on a mustang. not only are they pretty simple to install but your 1/4 mile times will improve, youll drop a little bit of weight and the overall driveability of the car improves. you should look into it my friend.
Old 8/3/11, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ya its pretty impressive. in my opinion, a 1 piece driveshaft should be one of the first mods a person does on a mustang. not only are they pretty simple to install but your 1/4 mile times will improve, youll drop a little bit of weight and the overall driveability of the car improves. you should look into it my friend.
Absolutely...
So what impact does this have on the all to common wheel hop issues?
Old 8/3/11, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Absolutely...
So what impact does this have on the all to common wheel hop issues?

well the 1 piece driveshaft is more for performance and strength, the wheel hop issue is usually solved by suspension upgrades and bigger, stickier tires
Old 8/3/11, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

well the 1 piece driveshaft is more for performance and strength, the wheel hop issue is usually solved by suspension upgrades and bigger, stickier tires
I have absolutely 0 wheelhop on my base GT.
Old 8/3/11, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have absolutely 0 wheelhop on my base GT.

then youre one of the lucky ones. ive been hearing alot of people complain about it lately. obviously im not 100% sure of the circumstances cause im not in the car with them but even a bone stock GT shouldnt have as bad of suspension problems as ive been hearing about.
Old 8/9/11, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Yea, this and GT 500 axleback is next. After Gus told me that their aluminum piece shaved 2/10ths off of their car, I figured this is one of those must have mods that won't effect daily drivability.

Quick Reply: Aluminum driveshaft?