Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/13, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do, anyhow as they promised AIRAID overnighted me the cover.

Its made out of thin aluminum ( nice finish ) came protected by white film. Comes with instructions and hardware and is a 30 min install or less...

Great CUSTOMER EXP with them! Very happy customer!

Old 7/24/13, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13
Will do, anyhow as they promised AIRAID overnighted me the cover.

Its made out of thin aluminum ( nice finish ) came protected by white film. Comes with instructions and hardware and is a 30 min install or less...

Great CUSTOMER EXP with them! Very happy customer!
Can u post installed pics.
Old 7/24/13, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com
What's a hydro lock
Water gets sucked into intake .. ends up in cylinder. On the Compression stroke air can compress but water cannot ... end result .. BOOM.
Old 7/25/13, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheReaper
That's kinda hard to do with 2 exhaust valves.
that makes zero sense.
Old 7/25/13, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
that makes zero sense.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 7/25/13, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Me too..............
Old 7/25/13, 04:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Hey everyone, thank you for all the prompt responses. After dealing with this issue first hand I am very please how AIR AID industries handled the issue.

Ben from AIR AID addressed my concerns, definitely was familiar with the behavior, and according to their great customer service i will have my AIR COVER ( piece they made for this issue ) free of charge and next day delivery.

They also suggested that I drill a little hole on the bottom of the housing to let the water drip.

As of the issue, yes the filter got soaked from heavy rain trough the left heat extractors, causing the engine to pick up water and not run right until it dried out that night.

No further issues with the car, its running great!
Thanks for sending me contact info for airaid... I contact them. They overnight send me the rain shields... I m all set...awesome customer service....definitely recommend them...
Old 7/25/13, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

One question that wasn't asked...

GBStang13, Was the Airaid box seal installed with its blade curving outward or inward (toward the filter)? If it was inward, that may have been part or all of your problem. I've seen various Airaid box seals (in forum thread pics) that were installed backward. I found that out when I initially installed mine. It didn't seal against the hood mat very well at all. I turned it around and it sealed a lot better and stopped leaks from car wash water pressure. Since then, I've driven through, and the car has sat through, near blindling rain storms with no water on the filter or in the box. High pressure car washes doesn't phase it either.
Old 7/25/13, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
One question that wasn't asked...

GBStang13, Was the Airaid box seal installed with its blade curving outward or inward (toward the filter)? If it was inward, that may have been part or all of your problem. I've seen various Airaid box seals (in forum thread pics) that were installed backward. I found that out when I initially installed mine. It didn't seal against the hood mat very well at all. I turned it around and it sealed a lot better and stopped leaks from car wash water pressure. Since then, I've driven through, and the car has sat through, near blindling rain storms with no water on the filter or in the box. High pressure car washes doesn't phase it either.
Wow. I just checked mine. It is curving inside. I hv changed it now...hope this resolves. I don't like how the shields look.
Old 7/25/13, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow. I just checked mine. It is curving inside. I hv changed it now...hope this resolves. I don't like how the shields look.
Just thought I would mention it. I'm bad about merely browsing instruction sheets, then relying on my mechanical knowledge to get the job done. When I ran my jewel through the car wash (after installing the Airaid CAI, I opened the hood and the filter and box interior was wet. I grabbed the instruction sheet out of my trash can and saw (in a photo, STEP #14) that the seal blade faces outward, not inward. That explained the problem I had getting the aft inboard corner to sit right on the box.

http://www.airaid.com/InstallationPDF/450-264.pdf

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 7/25/13 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added instruction sheet link
Old 7/26/13, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

After detailing my baby today, I got curious... I dropped the hood most of the way closed and inspected the hood vent in relation to the airbox and filter. To my surprise, the damned vent drains right on top of the filter. Guess I'll have to get a rain shield too. IMO, that will kill the appearance.
Old 7/26/13, 09:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

^i too love the look of open CAI than a closed one... but did you try out Missouri Hoss recommendation
Old 7/26/13, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

^i too love the look of open CAI than a closed one... but did you try out Missouri Hoss recommendation
Now that I have a shield on the way from Airaid, I'm going to scout around and find a rounded or curved shield that has a flange on it that would utilize the existing filter clamp. I don't mind water getting into the air box, because it appears to drain out the intake passage, but I don't want it to run on the filter itself. I may even pick up an Airaid pre-filter. It's supposed to be water resistent, but I don't really care for the wrinkled sock look. As a last resort, I may have a shield made by one of my local metal fabricating friends.
Old 7/29/13, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I received the Airaid Water Shield today. After looking at its design and the photos in the installation instructions, I wont be drilling holes in my airbox to install it. Maybe I'm just too particular, being that I'm a retired Aviation Structural Airframes Mechanic, but the shield looks like something a shoe cobbler fabricated. As much as I hate to restrict engine bay heat extraction to any degree, I'll be installing one of these, while I search for another alternative in protecting the intake from water intrusion:

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=518

Here's a photo from the Airaid Water Shield installation instructions:
Attached Thumbnails AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE-airaid-shield-001.jpg  

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 7/29/13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 7/29/13, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
I received the Airaid Water Shield today. After looking at its design and the photos in the installation instructions, I wont be drilling holes in my airbox to install it. Maybe I'm just too particular, being that I'm a retired Aviation Structural Airframes Mechanic, but the shield looks like something a shoe cobbler fabricated. As much as I hate to restrict engine bay heat extraction to any degree, I'll be installing one of these, while I search for another alternative in protecting the intake from water intrusion:

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=518

Here's a photo from the Airaid Water Shield installation instructions:
This looks more like a "true" CAI now....that shield helps block out more of the engine heat, and has it use the cooler air intake of the stock plastic tube that runs forward to the grill area.
Old 7/29/13, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
This looks more like a "true" CAI now....that shield helps block out more of the engine heat, and has it use the cooler air intake of the stock plastic tube that runs forward to the grill area.
IMO, the appearance is degraded. As far as blocking engine heat and the filter drawing more outside air, I would agree if the shield closed the airbox at all, but it doesn't. It does nothing more than cover the filter itself.
Old 7/29/13, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The more I study the picture, the more I seem to see it blocks/restricts a good 60% of the filter itself. I'd go back to using the stock box. They flow as good as most CAI's sold for our Mustangs.
Old 7/29/13, 05:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That was my issue with getting their CAI when it came out. It looked like crap with that add on deflector. Shame they haven't corrected that yet
Old 7/30/13, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE: After installing the Shield and taking off with my Fiancé for out baby moon. We were bombarded with some heavy rain. JFYI - NO MORE TROUBLES! Even a high pressure car was did not do anything.... Problem Solved!
Old 8/11/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So yesterday I started on detailing/waxing the car and before I did the washing I decided to cover the whole filter with like 4-5 bounty paper towels. I have the JLT foam plug installed. After I was done with washing and drying the car, I opened up the hood and checked the filter. The paper towels were all soaked in water, no dry spot anywhere. There might be a small difference between rain flow, and just hose going over the vents when I'm washing off the suds, but Im not going to risk it.

I'm going to call Airaid today or tomorrow, and get my own shield. I don't care it looks ugly or what not, I'm not going to risk damaging the whole engine, just so the filter can look all pretty inside, rather be safe then sorry.

Someone needs to design this, a cover that you attach over the vent( tub shape with open back), it would slope down towards the back, so all water that would flow away from the filter. Attached by glue or some strong double sided tape.

Quick Reply: AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE