Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/12, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I remember from 5.0 M&FF that the oil pump on the 5.0 doesn't need to pump as much as the 4.6L 3V because the TiVCT is more cam torque actuated - less hydraulic. Whereas the 3V VCT is all hydraulic.
And the comment was that with a slight step down in oil pump, that yielded less parasitic drain.
Since the squiters have been removed on lawman's, I would think that helps maintain proper pressure/flow IMO.
Also, with an OHC, and pressure/flow issues at high rpm typically result in some valve rattle - long before any real damage is done.
SO a new oil pump isn't as necessary as with the 3Vs ... Very interesting! Once again you taught me something
Old 5/21/12, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so jealous. Any particular reason you didn't switch out the stock seats for aftermarket? Love the car.
Old 5/22/12, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
I am so jealous. Any particular reason you didn't switch out the stock seats for aftermarket? Love the car.
Good question. The interior was one of the first things I did. I did not realistically consider pulling the fronts for Recaros or Corbeaus because I did not want to lose the side airbags and easy motorized adjustability of the front seat. At that time I was not considering tracking the car.

After I drove it for a while I realized that I just had to take it to the track. Aftermarket seats would be great for that, but I am not gonna pull these. I will live with it.

That being said, the Alcantara is very tacky. It grips you. It is not like leather where you slide around in your seat. Not as good as deep bucket Recaro's but much better than OEM pseudo leather and vinyl.

The idea was to create a European feel inside the cabin. Like you were in an Aston Martin or something, instead it's a Ford with Ford colors and logos. I wanted the car to be superior to a BMW in every way. I consider BMW's to be the bane of my existence not because of the car but because of the hairy armed jack *** foreigners who drive them as status symbols.

We in parts of Southern California are afflicted with a subspecies of alien who have come to this country primarily to commit various kinds of fraud and use the dollars that they steal from us Americans to buy high priced German cars which they then drive too fast and aggressively.

They look down on us Americans as stupid doops and they would never lower themselves to drive an American car. The German cars for them represents perfectly the superiority they feel over us "Stupid Americans".

Therefore they must be vanquished and made to feel stupid for wasting so much of their hard stolen money on a German vehicle that just got walked by a lowly Ford. I'll take care of them on the road and in the parking lots of LA. Hopefully, the police will take care of the rest of the problem.

By the way. I am the son of immigrants and a Democrat. So if I feel this way, I can't imagine how the rest of you, in more conservative parts of the country would feel. Because these guys are really chapping my hide and need to be thrown out of the country. I may even vote Republican.
Old 5/22/12, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lawman
..... I may even vote Republican.
Absolutely unless there is a chance the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson can get elected.
Old 5/22/12, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Good question. The interior was one of the first things I did. I did not realistically consider pulling the fronts for Recaros or Corbeaus because I did not want to lose the side airbags and easy motorized adjustability of the front seat. At that time I was not considering tracking the car.

After I drove it for a while I realized that I just had to take it to the track. Aftermarket seats would be great for that, but I am not gonna pull these. I will live with it.

That being said, the Alcantara is very tacky. It grips you. It is not like leather where you slide around in your seat. Not as good as deep bucket Recaro's but much better than OEM pseudo leather and vinyl.

The idea was to create a European feel inside the cabin. Like you were in an Aston Martin or something, instead it's a Ford with Ford colors and logos. I wanted the car to be superior to a BMW in every way. I consider BMW's to be the bane of my existence not because of the car but because of the hairy armed jack *** foreigners who drive them as status symbols.

We in parts of Southern California are afflicted with a subspecies of alien who have come to this country primarily to commit various kinds of fraud and use the dollars that they steal from us Americans to buy high priced German cars which they then drive too fast and aggressively.

They look down on us Americans as stupid doops and they would never lower themselves to drive an American car. The German cars for them represents perfectly the superiority they feel over us "Stupid Americans".

Therefore they must be vanquished and made to feel stupid for wasting so much of their hard stolen money on a German vehicle that just got walked by a lowly Ford. I'll take care of them on the road and in the parking lots of LA. Hopefully, the police will take care of the rest of the problem.

By the way. I am the son of immigrants and a Democrat. So if I feel this way, I can't imagine how the rest of you, in more conservative parts of the country would feel. Because these guys are really chapping my hide and need to be thrown out of the country. I may even vote Republican.
A little trick I learned in my RX-8. Push the seat back a little, pull on shoulder strap to tighten the lap portion, the shoulder will retract a bit. Then pull really fast on it. This will cause it to lock, now keeping pressure on it to keep it locked pull your seat forward. This locks the seatbelt in a tight locked position on both lap and shoulder. Helps a great deal.
Old 5/22/12, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Car looks amazing in those Picasa photos. What did you finish the center console with?
Old 5/22/12, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by devildog1679
A little trick I learned in my RX-8. Push the seat back a little, pull on shoulder strap to tighten the lap portion, the shoulder will retract a bit. Then pull really fast on it. This will cause it to lock, now keeping pressure on it to keep it locked pull your seat forward. This locks the seatbelt in a tight locked position on both lap and shoulder. Helps a great deal.

Thanks, that is why i am here, for little helpful bits of information like that.

SCRUFFY 281: "Car looks amazing in those Picasa photos. What did you finish the center console with."

Alcantara suede on the side and a dash kit from I think it was "New York City Dash" or something like that. It has been a while. I know there are several of these dash kits available on the internet.
Old 5/23/12, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen to the shady foreign business people who drive BMW's trying to fraud the rest of us. My fiancé has a BMW 328 convertible and I have a small Audi a3 hatch, and Mercedes, but we work hard for these things and if I had to give them all up to keep my ford I would.

So I'm reading through what you've done and it sounds like a very fast yet reliable car with some luxury thrown in.

My question is: do you think someone with a boss could do similar work and have a bit of an advantage being that many of the parts are already on?

Last edited by Johnny5alive; 5/30/12 at 11:43 PM.
Old 5/23/12, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

Boss Build would be a lot cheaper.

Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Amen to the shady foreign business people who drive BMW's trying to fraud the rest of us. My fiancé has a BMW 328 convertible and I have a small Audi a3 hatch but we work hard for these things and if I had to give them all up to keep my ford I would.

So I'm reading through what you've done and it sounds like a very fast yet reliable car with some luxury thrown in.

My question is: do you think someone with a boss could do similar work and have a bit of an advantage being that many of the parts are already on?
Yeah definitely. I still think you need to get your heads ported because even though the Boss heads flow better than stock, I don't think they flow better than mine and you will need cams. That is pretty much it. The bottom end is strong enough. You already have valve springs capable to 8000+ so Boss owners are good to go. Plus the Boss has a huge advantage as it's ECU will allow it to spin past 8000!!! This is a cheap build for a Boss. But few people want to tear into a Boss. No one feels bad about tearing into a 5.0. My car might have a little more reliability because of the heavier duty forged bottom end. But the Boss has it all over me on the engine control system and software which is critical to allow for the high rpms.
Old 5/23/12, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Funny, why would anyone feel bad about improving the Boss? For me I would just want to make sure it was done right, so finding the right people would be key. I would love to have your setup... Lighter and better balance/weight distribution than a gt500, but with similar power and a wider power band. I'm sure there are plenty of P car owners in your area that will soon be humbled on the track on the straights and the bends.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind as I think about making more reliable NA power.
Old 5/24/12, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Lawman, I sent you a visitor message, did you get it?
Old 5/24/12, 08:08 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Amazing. I just got my newsletter from StangTV, and YOU are the main story! Great job, enjoy it.
http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-...-makes-522rwhp
Old 5/24/12, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Car looks really good! Did you paint yourself or did you have the calipers painted at a shop? What was used? I want to paint my brembo's but don't want it to look bad . . .
Old 5/24/12, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

Calipers

Originally Posted by 99mstng
Car looks really good! Did you paint yourself or did you have the calipers painted at a shop? What was used? I want to paint my brembo's but don't want it to look bad . . .
Just regular car paint sprayed on. Brembo stickers put on and then a coat of clear over that. Did not powder coat. Didn't want to subject the calipers to that sort of heat. So far it's holding up great.
Old 5/25/12, 01:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Where's the pics of the interior?!
Old 5/25/12, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Very cool, nice car!
Old 5/25/12, 12:59 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put this up on StangTv.com.... Impressive
Old 5/25/12, 03:04 PM
GT Member

Don't want to hijack a thread but hell it's crazy and people need work. Here's how I see - It's immoral to hire them because it's slavery and drives down real labor wages and offsets the economy.

Your family and most of ours were immigrants, but the major difference is that our families assimilated and became Americans, some even changed their names to become more Americanized.

Eisenhower deported a good deal back in the day - it takes very little effort and very little money... because once your start they just leave on their own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

Maybe we have too many cry babies and bleeding hearts. Anyone who is politically correct is a red communist -IMO.
Old 5/25/12, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you paint the louvers in the hood a different color than Kona or is that just the shadow?
Old 5/25/12, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why the T2R over the T2? Just curious. I've heard the high bias ratio isn't the greatest for everyday driving. I might go the same route as you though except I'll be using MMR for my longblock. Sounds like you've got a great car though. Congrats

Quick Reply: 522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!