Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/12, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by lawman
The three best things about this car besides the engine is 1) the Torsen T2r differential 2) the Barton Shifter and bracket. 3) The Koni Yellows. If i could only do three things that would be it.

Test drive on mountain road revealed to me the world of power oversteer. The incredible confidence this gives you in the twisties cannot be overstated. Many of the people *****ing about their tranny's wouldn't be *****ing if they turned off the skip shift and got a barton shifter and bracket. It solved all my "tranny" problems. Everyone who drives my car is in love with it. No grinding, forcing, missed shifts etc . . I have modded several cars but I am not an expert. All I am relating is my experience. There could be other shifters and brackets as good or better. But for me the Barton has served me well.
That is with their new 2 post shifting bracket? I have been hearing GREAT things about it.
Old 5/19/12, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow it just kept climbing, thats awesome. Congrats on an amazing mustang
Old 5/19/12, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a beast
Old 5/19/12, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your car sounds like a prime candiate for the carbon drive shaft from DSS. They use one CV and one universal joint and NO slip joint, that eliminates vibration issues, and alignment issues inherent in the double universal joint shafts with slip joints.

I've driven my Tiger Racing hood in pouring rain not the slightest issue except cleaning up the engine compartment the next day.
Old 5/20/12, 08:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Your car sounds like a prime candiate for the carbon drive shaft from DSS. They use one CV and one universal joint and NO slip joint, that eliminates vibration issues, and alignment issues inherent in the double universal joint shafts with slip joints.

I've driven my Tiger Racing hood in pouring rain not the slightest issue except cleaning up the engine compartment the next day.
I hear you on the Carbon Fiber driveshaft. If i were to get a driveshaft i would definitely get it from DSS given that they can actually test their shafts at high rpms. Aluminum would be okay as well given the design differences you mention, but once bitten twice shy. I would have to drive one to be convinced.

As to the Tiger Racing Hood, I could care less about rain because i live in Southern California. It hardly rains since Global Warming and i don't drive it in the rain. And if I did, a little water never hurt anyone. The only problem with the hood is that it is a racing part and while fully functional, does not fit that great. Still looks great though.

Last edited by lawman; 5/20/12 at 08:23 AM.
Old 5/20/12, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

You have officially started the downfall of my marriage LOL

I see we have the same suspension setup minus the relocation brackets. Which brackets are these? Any figment issues with the rear sways? Ate the rear sways his adjustable ones? Picture would be great.

Last edited by devildog1679; 5/20/12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 5/20/12, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lawman
I hear you on the Carbon Fiber driveshaft. .....
I have an aluminum one but since my car is SC I use 6000 rpm red line. The carbon excells when the rpm goes up because the natural harmonics of the material is higher. But the aluminum would probably be fine too.

Yes my carbon Tiger hood quality is pretty poor but I live with it for the cooling and aero.

By the way according to the global warming exponents we're supposed to get more rain especially in places like the Peoples Republic of California. As the oceans warm up more water evaporate causing more rain. Of course the oceans aren't cooperating with the alarmists and they are cooling.
Old 5/21/12, 12:12 AM
V6 Member

Pictures of Black and Blue full Alcantara Interior

Theme of the build was to make the car look as if the President of Ford ordered his special vehicle team to build a special edition mustang just for him. That is why I don't have a body kit or any aftermarket ricer looking stuff on the car. I wanted to give this American car an Italian feel inside, so I went to Milan via Gulf Coast fabric in Florida and ordered several yards of black and blue Alcantara Suede as well as some perforated Alcantara to cover the speakers. I designed the layout I wanted and brought it to a local upholstery shop to do the seats front and back, the doors, the center console and made a removable dash cover.

I also went above and beyond in dynamat and foam throughout the vehicle. Car is only 20lbs heavier than stock because of all the weight I took off in other areas. This car is very loud on the outside, but inside very civilized. . . .like a German car with a manlier American Growl! The pictures do not do the interior justice, In person, the colors are much richer. my digital camera washed out some of the interior shots. Others are closer to real life. But this interior should be felt as well as seen. take a look https://picasaweb.google.com/1101894...52/2011Mustang

BTW Don't kid yourself 908ssp, global warming is real. I am not giving up my car though until the Hollywood stars who make commercials about conservation give up their private jets! I might be a democrat, but I am not an idiot liberal.

DEVILDOG: bought both adjustable sway bars from Strano, however rear sway bar kept banging into my exhaust pipe. I just took it off and put the original rear sway that came with the Brembo package. I did not put a super thick rear sway because I love the balance of the car right now as is. I have a little over steer and with the Torsen T2r,that is exactly what I want. I cannot tolerate parts that make noise. Porsche's don't make noise. My car has to sound solid. My friends have r8's and ferrari's I am not going to be embarrassed by a rattle trap when I am trying to prove to them that my American Muscle can destroy their effete european pooper cars. I do not care how great a pat is. If it makes noise it is poorly designed for street application and it comes off. Unless of course it is my engine which is the exception!

Last edited by lawman; 5/21/12 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 5/21/12, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice numbers, Sounds great too, Congrats.
Old 5/21/12, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautiful car, excellent job just shows what you can do when monies not an issue. BTW that link for the interior pics doesn't seem to be working.
Old 5/21/12, 09:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Beautiful car, excellent job just shows what you can do when monies not an issue. BTW that link for the interior pics doesn't seem to be working.
Works now, sorry. forgot to edit the viewing parameters.
Old 5/21/12, 09:58 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Man the good ol' days are now. I remember when getting 500+ hp required a stout big block for good daily driving because a small block was running on the ragged edge. Very nice lawman.

Last edited by bob; 5/21/12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 5/21/12, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Pic link doesn't seem to work?

Car sounds badass. Perfect setup for Willow Springs. I'd love to check it out sometime.
Old 5/21/12, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Scruffy281
Pic link doesn't seem to work?

Car sounds badass. Perfect setup for Willow Springs. I'd love to check it out sometime.
Had to reedit the viewing parameters to full public. Should have worked before. does work now. I built it for Willow Springs. Have a track day set up and everything. What I really want to know is how fast this thing could do Laguna Seca in the hands of a professional driver. Great driver in a Boss did 1:39. This car has everything the Boss has plus about 160 hp,, I am thinking 1:34-35? I know it's speculation but my mind does go there.
Old 5/21/12, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome car All motor
Old 5/21/12, 03:28 PM
GT Member

Wow man that is awesome. All motor! That will kick some serious *** at the road course and drag strip. 520 HP at 7,800 rpm is lot different than 520 HP at 6,800 rpm. You'll have so much speed on that thing coming out of corners and shifting into the next gear it must be sick to drive.
Old 5/21/12, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice!!! Mind me asking how much money you spent to get there?
Old 5/21/12, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

How Much $.

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Very nice!!! Mind me asking how much money you spent to get there?
The engine alone: cam/ intake/ shortblock/ heads/ springs/ labor/tune will run close to 12k I don't care who is doing it.

As to everything else: I have probably put as much into the car as what it cost new. And it is still a deal because to get 600+ hp and an Alcantara interior on any other car would cost me over 150k.

All this stuff about the oil pump . . . .I think the stock one, especially if it is the same one as the Boss which has been proven stable at 8400 rpm is good enough. I am not hoisting that engine again. If it blows it blows. I don't think it will. oil pump could blow, water pump could blow? Steeda Ball joints could sheer, valve could splinter, piston could melt, spring could pop, tire could come apart, i could drive it into a tree. Of all those scenarios the most likely is that I would run it into a tree. Thus driving lessons before oil pump.
Old 5/21/12, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
So far I havent been able to find the article about the new 5.0 and if it has the same oil pump as the Boss
Old 5/21/12, 06:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
So far I havent been able to find the article about the new 5.0 and if it has the same oil pump as the Boss
I remember from 5.0 M&FF that the oil pump on the 5.0 doesn't need to pump as much as the 4.6L 3V because the TiVCT is more cam torque actuated - less hydraulic. Whereas the 3V VCT is all hydraulic.
And the comment was that with a slight step down in oil pump, that yielded less parasitic drain.
Since the squiters have been removed on lawman's, I would think that helps maintain proper pressure/flow IMO.
Also, with an OHC, any pressure/flow issues at high rpm typically result in some valve rattle - long before any real damage is done.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/21/12 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!