Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2nd mod opinions

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/13, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd mod opinions

Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase my second mod just wanted to take a vote on here for what everyone thinks is a good choice. I'm choosing between GT500 AB's - 4.10 Gears - JLT intake. I have an auto btw if it makes a difference.
Old 9/15/13, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GT500 axle backs sound okay but will net you zero horsepower. The JLT intake isn't as good as the factory CAI. 4.10's are too much gear. If you want to do a mod that will make a significant difference but won't cost much get a converter.

What are your plans for the car?
Old 9/15/13, 04:09 PM

GT500 Axle backs would purely for sound not looking for net gain in those, a converter would be nice, didn't think of it. Would that require tuning? And I just want to make it in the 9s but still have a street ability if possible
Old 9/15/13, 04:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.10's would be a big mistake.

Converter isn't cheap but it will give more performance gain than any other mod short of FI. It will require a tune to take full advantage of it as well as traction mods and drag tires.

Do all that though and you would be in an 11 second GT.
Old 9/15/13, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes a converter requires a retune. 9's? You got a long way to go and so far every mod you suggested will hinder you not help you.
Old 9/15/13, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Axle backs make the car more enjoyable to drive in my opinion. Couldn't stand the fact my car made almost no sound when I got it. That is the only non-performance enhancement I will likely do to the car though. I would recommend them.

Aside from that it depends what you want to do with the car. Daily driver vs drag strip vs track vs show
Old 9/15/13, 04:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
9's? You got a long way to go

Yeah, 9's? Don't know what you're talking about there, if 1/8 mile your car will do 9's already, if 1/4 mile then you are looking at a crap load of mods to get there.
Old 9/15/13, 05:58 PM

There's plenty of mid ten cars right now with little mods and nitrous, would 9 really be that hard, I have about 700 every month of unspent money, I paid for my car out right so no car payments just insurance.
Old 9/15/13, 06:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
There's plenty of mid ten cars right now with little mods and nitrous, would 9 really be that hard, I have about 700 every month of unspent money, I paid for my car out right so no car payments just insurance.
You'll need about 750 rwhp to get into the high 9's in the 1/4 mile. That's about 880 flywheel hp. You'll need forced induction to run 9's, and lots of supporting mods if you want the car to do so repeatedly.
Old 9/15/13, 06:20 PM
GTR Member

Put a big bottle on it and maybe, maybe it would run in the 9's if you can hook it up, at least until the crank goes bouncing down the track...
Old 9/15/13, 06:32 PM

Lol, I appreciate the insight guys this is the first time I've tried doing stuff myself, got the money just need the know how
Old 9/16/13, 06:32 AM

So if I do FI what's a good supercharger to go with then and should I forge the internals? I'm a couple months from being able to get one. Average price I seen was about 6500.
Old 9/16/13, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow... that was big move.. from GT500 AB's to supercharger....
Old 9/16/13, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Suspension, chassis and braking are all good mods you can do first that will help with any power setup. I would consider exhaust if you want the sound as well. I know that's probably going to be high on my list of mods. If you have no car payment but approximately $350 a month, have you thought about a loan on the car for about 1/2 the value and buy all your mods at once??? That's probably what I would have done if I could buy the car outright. Actually, I probably would have put a big chunk down on a GT500 and been happy to have that car payment
Old 9/16/13, 09:20 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
So if I do FI what's a good supercharger to go with then and should I forge the internals? I'm a couple months from being able to get one. Average price I seen was about 6500.
If you are serious about how fast you want to go a built motor is almost an imperative.

As for the FI, the hellion twin turbo will get you more power than you will ever be able to use, the single turbo setup would also work well.
Old 9/16/13, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CiniZter
wow... that was big move.. from GT500 AB's to supercharger....
Im easily persuaded and currently have the budget for it right now, no payments, little bills, no kids, and the wife makes great income on top of what I make in the Navy. So yea I guess it is a big move but if it gets me going fast I'll do it.

Originally Posted by mustang5o
Suspension, chassis and braking are all good mods you can do first that will help with any power setup. I would consider exhaust if you want the sound as well. I know that's probably going to be high on my list of mods. If you have no car payment but approximately $350 a month, have you thought about a loan on the car for about 1/2 the value and buy all your mods at once??? That's probably what I would have done if I could buy the car outright. Actually, I probably would have put a big chunk down on a GT500 and been happy to have that car payment
I really considered the GT500, Ive been saving for quite some time to buy my car outright so when I went to the dealer with cash in hand they obviously tried to put me in it and the Boss 302, however I can drive manual but would rather be in an auto. I'm no expert driver so I stuck with 5.0 and saved some change. Plus the wife can drive it now too. When I'm on deployment of course. Never gonna ride passenger in my car.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
If you are serious about how fast you want to go a built motor is almost an imperative.

As for the FI, the hellion twin turbo will get you more power than you will ever be able to use, the single turbo setup would also work well.
Man thanks for being patient and helping me line this out. As I said before I'm new into all this modding business and I don't know much. However my budget is good for whatever and I want to take advantage of that before a little one comes along. Still got my 2007 avalanche and she's got a 2014 Charger R/T so we are good on 4 door cars. This is going to be my ultimate toy. Just need guidance from you experienced fellas.
Old 9/16/13, 12:16 PM

Ltngdrvr - IF (notice there is an if in there for anyone thinking I'm doing this right away) I go with forced induction will I need to worry about long trips home, as I am military when I get leave (its a myth ) Ill be driving home to see my wife and family. Also I'm getting deployed soon so I'll be sending it home where she will be my lady in wait. I definitely want to go this route and make some power, but I would like to build a good platform first. Suspension, brakes, built motor... etc.. just whatever I need to support it and have nice contributing mods. Again man thanks for being kind and patient with a know nothing like me. Someday if I get this where I want it. Ill definitely hit you up and let you test drive her, lol. Gotta get my trip to wherever the Navy sends me done first.
Old 9/16/13, 01:38 PM
GTR Member

With a properly setup tune and FI, you would be able to drive it anywhere with no worries.

It will act very much like a stock motor at cruise speed, won't be outrageous until you plant your right foot.

Best thing for you to do is read and learn all you can before you decide to buy anything or start modding.

Don't be over-anxious to do anything, take your time and do it right the first time.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 9/16/13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 9/16/13, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
With a properly setup tune and FI, you would be able to drive it anywhere with no worries.

It will act very much like a stock motor at cruise speed, won't be outrageous until you plant your right foot.

Best thing for you to do is read and learn all you can before you decide to buy anything or start modding.

Don't be over-anxious to do anything, take your time and do it right the first time.
Will do thanks, for your time!
Old 9/16/13, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
You'll need about 750 rwhp to get into the high 9's in the 1/4 mile. That's about 880 flywheel hp. You'll need forced induction to run 9's, and lots of supporting mods if you want the car to do so repeatedly.
VMP tuning was able to get into the 9's on a 600HP GT, full weight. JPC was also able to get into the 9's on a N/A Mustang. Its not about HP.

Quick Reply: 2nd mod opinions