Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2012 V6 to Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/13, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 V6 to Coyote

Let me start off by saying that if you're going to tell me to just buy a V8 or just install a procharger, you may as well stop reading and move on to the next thread. That being said...

I bought my 2012 Base V6 automatic last March for $21.5k, and it will be paid off in March of this year. I have over $14k in mods on it, so I'm not willing to give the car up just to get a V8 with no mods.

I was originally planning on finding a 2010 V6 and swapping in a pushrod stroker motor with dual quads into it, but not counting the cost of the car, I'm looking at close to $30k to make that happen (counting the cost of the car). Besides the cost, it would be "problematic" and a downright hassle to get it inspected every year. So much for Plan A.

Plan B is to swap a Coyote engine into my existing car. I know I can get a new crate motor for about $6500, and I can get one from a salvage yard for a lot less. My question is what else do I need to change out for the swap to be complete? I have the following list, but I'm sure it's not complete:

Engine (assumed to be complete)
Transmission (I was gonna get a Tremec 5-speed)
Driveshaft
K-member
Motor mounts (?)
Transmission mount
Accessory brackets
Alternator
Radiator & hoses
Engine harness
Fuel pump (???)
Exhaust system
ECM (??? - can I use the one that's already in the car?)
Tuner

I know that the brakes will need to be upgraded, but that's not directly related to the engine swap, and my suspension has already otherwise been improved (Eibach sway bars and springs, and Koni struts/shocks).

Anyway, can anyone comment on anything I might have missed as far as what's required? Thanks in advnace.
Old 2/1/13, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a rather decent plan. Keep us updated. There are plenty of Coyote swaps out there in Fox bodies and such so yours isn't a big deal but that's jut my HO. I say go for it. As far as what you will need....What are you doing about exhaust? Are you going to get LT headers and everything behind that? I don't know if what you have will work or if the angles are different in the V6 versus the 5.0. Car looks great and soon it will sound just as great.
Old 2/1/13, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Sounds like a rather decent plan. Keep us updated. There are plenty of Coyote swaps out there in Fox bodies and such so yours isn't a big deal but that's jut my HO. I say go for it. As far as what you will need....What are you doing about exhaust? Are you going to get LT headers and everything behind that? I don't know if what you have will work or if the angles are different in the V6 versus the 5.0. Car looks great and soon it will sound just as great.
I figure the swap will be pretty simple as far as electrical goes (just need a new engine harness (?) and a tune.

Regarding exhaust, I was going to go with OEM GT cats (don't want/need inspection hassles) and stainless pipes, and OEM GT500 axlebacks. According to everything I've read, it should be a direct bolt-up as far as the axlebacks are concerned. Since the rest of the exhaust will be OEM, there shouldn't be any issues. Of course this could all change by the time I get around to this, but right now, that's the plan.

Last edited by jsimmons; 2/1/13 at 08:39 AM.
Old 2/1/13, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consider buying a totaled ( preferably running ) 5.0 with the MT-82 trans. You will be chasing down tons of little parts if you don't start with a complete donor car. In the end I think this will save you a lot of time and money.
Old 2/1/13, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Feb/March of last year I was at the dealership talking about ordering a new 13 GT or buying a new 12 Shelby on the showroom floor...best price on the Shelby the dealer was willing to go was around 48.

No flames here...but why put so much into a base model when you could have had the best of the best for about the same price? Is it the build it yourself aspect? Your car looks great but the VIN associated with it will never yield anything on the secondary market. I am not trying to tell you how to spend your money...just interested in your total build for the car. If this is a car you are wanting to keep "forever" why settle for just a 5.0 motor swap?
Old 2/1/13, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Definitely keep us posted
Old 2/1/13, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n4agoodtyme
In Feb/March of last year I was at the dealership talking about ordering a new 13 GT or buying a new 12 Shelby on the showroom floor...best price on the Shelby the dealer was willing to go was around 48.

No flames here...but why put so much into a base model when you could have had the best of the best for about the same price? Is it the build it yourself aspect? Your car looks great but the VIN associated with it will never yield anything on the secondary market. I am not trying to tell you how to spend your money...just interested in your total build for the car. If this is a car you are wanting to keep "forever" why settle for just a 5.0 motor swap?
I think people are missing the point of mods on a car. When you buy a Shelby, you get an awesome car. But you get a Shelby that looks just like every other Shelby. I'm definitely not putting the car down. It's an incredible car. But the nice thing about buying a base model is you can build a head turner and unique car. Nobody should mod a car with resale value in mind. They should mod it with what reactions in mind that you're going to get at the mall when driving tomorrow with it. Again, not to say that a Shelby isn't a head turner because it is. But it's not a unique car in the sense that it doesn't have a personal build done to it.
Old 2/1/13, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope you pull it off, that said this will probably end up a ton of money and never get done or be right.
Old 2/1/13, 05:46 PM

I like what good Tyme said about a different motor. And don't get me wrong I love the 5.0 best motor I have had so far but if you are gonna start this build and keep the car then why not get some that is more unique. I have no idea what would fit but I'm sure there are some other motor that would work or you could custom to fit. IMO I would try and see what kinda crazy beast I could come up that would be unique.
Old 2/1/13, 05:48 PM

I'm really interested to see how it works out for ya.
Old 2/1/13, 06:22 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ambitious project and I understand your thinking. who cares about vin if you're doing it for you. Keep us all posted on the progress. I hope to see this thread updated with pics good luck.
Old 2/1/13, 06:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I say this is awesome. You've already done all these cosmetic mods, you have the car you want, just put in the motor you want. Can't wait to see it at Bass Pro Shops this year.
Old 2/1/13, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Or....?

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...FUKd4AodU1AAVA

Old 2/1/13, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

http://bit.ly/WkFj16. Check this engine out.
Old 2/2/13, 05:08 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah - until you see the price of the motor. If I win the lottery, definitely.

So regarding my list of "things to change", can anybody think of anything else that will be needed? Remember, suspension and brakes aren't part of the actual drivetrain swap, so those don't count.

Last edited by jsimmons; 2/2/13 at 05:13 AM.
Old 2/2/13, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

I made as detailed a list as I could of the parts required, using salvage, OEM, and custom components into the following categories:

- Engine
- Exhaust
- Cooling
- Transmission
- Driveshaft
- Drivetrain Electrical
- Fuel System

Then, I totaled up, averaged, and round up (to cover incidentals) costs, to come up with the following:

- Mostly from salvage - $9k
- Mostly new (including custom) - $16k
- Average - $13k

The reason I average it out was because I figured the mix between salvage and new/custom would drop the overall costs. I based the salvage prices on roughly 50% of the cost of new/custom, so salve costs are essentially a WAG.

Here's the key point - if you're about to get a new Mustang, and you're thinking about getting a V6 base instead of a V8 base, with an eye on putting a V8 into the car one day, SAVE YOUR MONEY and get the V8. Unless you find absolutely screamin' deals on the big stuff (engine/transmission), it's going to cost you more to convert to V8 than the difference between the cost of the two cars (generally about 8k). If you already have the V6, you have to ask yourself if you'd rather do the work, or sell your car for less than it's worth in order to move up to a used/new V8 and go even further into debt.

That being said, I already have the V6, it's almost paid off, and I hate being in debt. I still want to do this swap.

Last edited by jsimmons; 2/2/13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 2/2/13, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

when doing engine swaps to a larger more powerful engine many people forget to upgrade everything it drives and uses. I do not know enough to know what the difference is in the build of the drive train and support systems and such between the 6 and the 8. I do know from experience by even beefing up an engine other thing not designed to take the power will begin to fail. What about the cooling system and front suspension. I bet there are many other things to look at. Do your research and ask the right questions. Maybe people here can answer some of those questions.
Old 2/2/13, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
when doing engine swaps to a larger more powerful engine many people forget to upgrade everything it drives and uses. I do not know enough to know what the difference is in the build of the drive train and support systems and such between the 6 and the 8. I do know from experience by even beefing up an engine other thing not designed to take the power will begin to fail. What about the cooling system and front suspension. I bet there are many other things to look at. Do your research and ask the right questions. Maybe people here can answer some of those questions.
I've got a list of things I think I need to change. I'll try to format it and post it in this thread. You'll see that I did put thought into everything you stated (and more), including sourcing the necessary parts, and the costs involved.

Stay tuned.
Old 2/2/13, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I've got a list of things I think I need to change. I'll try to format it and post it in this thread. You'll see that I did put thought into everything you stated (and more), including sourcing the necessary parts, and the costs involved.

Stay tuned.
That is great. I would hate to see you put all this effort in and have something go terribly wrong. Good luck and update us when you finish.
Old 2/2/13, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Arrow

Here's a reasonably detailed breakdown of everything I think I'm going to need to make this swap happen. I know I haven't thought of absolutely everything, but I think I got a big chunk of it (considering my lack of familiarity with the V6 vs V8 platforms). As you can see, the list is extensive, and does not include a Tuner.

Primary sources of parts are:
  • Tousley Ford (for OEM stuff)
  • American Muscle (for custom stuff)
  • Ford Racing (for custom stuff)
  • Summit Racing (for custom stuff)
  • Salvage yard (for used OEM stuff)
Major categories (an asterisk indicates an optional/custom component with an acceptable OEM counterpart)

Engine
  • Coyote 5.0 crate engine
- Tousely - $5600 (how complete is it?)
- Ford Racing/Americamn Muscle - $6500
- Salvage yard special - $3000?
  • Engine Cradle (are they different between the V6 and GT?)
  • Engine Mounts
- Salvage - $?
- Tousley Ford - $78 (do I need two of these?)
  • K-member (do 2011+ even have these?)
  • accessories brackets - $?
  • * (optional) Ford Racing oil cooler - American Muscle - $139

Exhaust System
  • Exaust manifolds (already on a crate motor)
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $165 (left), $194 (right)
  • Catalytic Converters
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $282 (right), $293 (left)
  • Catback
- OEM (from Tousley)
- Front pipe
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $123
- Pypes XPipe - American Muscle - $134 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-xpipe-2011gt.html
- Exhaust Pipe Clamps
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $38 each (two required)
- Exhaust Pipe
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $247 (right), $143 (left)
- GT500 Mufflers - Ford Racing - American Muscle - $309 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-g...ck-2011gt.html
- Gaskets
- Exhaust manifold - Tousley - $36 (pair)
- Cat Converter - Tousley - $33 (pair)
- Flowmaster - American Muscle - ($785) - [ur]http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-american-catback-1112gt.html[/url]
- Hangers and clamps
- Salvage - $?
- Tousley - $100 (if needed)

Fuel System
  • Fuel Pump - Tousley Ford - $190
  • Fuel Pump Controller - Tousley Ford - $45

Drivetrain Electrical
*PA Performance Premium Power Wire Kit - American Muscle - $50 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/powerwire-0509.html
  • Engine wiring harness
- Salvage - $200?
- Tousley - $?
  • ECM (depends on 4-character code)
- Salvage - $?
- Tousley - $215
  • MAF (on the motor?)
- Salvage - $?
- Tousley Ford -$100
  • Ignition Coil
- Salvage - $?
- Tousley - $38
  • PCM (do I need to change this out?)
  • Oxygen sensor upper (on the engine?)
  • Oxygen sensor lower (on the engine?)
  • Camshaft position intake sensor (on the engine?)
  • Camshaft position exhaust sensor (on the engine?)
  • Crankshaft position sensor (on the engine?)
  • Speed sensor (on the transmission?)
Cooling
  • Radiator - Keep original?
- Mishimoto 3-core aluminum - American Muscle - $260 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishim...ator-2005.html
- Tousley Ford - $151
- Salvage - $?
  • Radiator Hoses
- Upper - Tousley Ford - $38
- Lower - Tousley Ford - $29
  • Cooling fan
- keep original?
- Mishimoto 14-inch fan - American Muscle - $85 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishim...iator-fan.html
- Tousley Ford (with shroud) - $132
  • reservoirs
- * (nice to have) Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank - American Muscle - $160 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/moroso...tank-1112.html
- Keep original V6 tank?
- Tousley Ford - $55
Transmission
  • Bellhousing - ($410 American Muscle, or Ford Racing M6392-M46)
- Ford Racing M7003-58H (26-spline input 31-spline output)
- Summit Racing - $2300 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...r58h/overview/
  • Transmission Mount
- salvage yard - $?
- Tousley Ford - $51
- Tousley Ford - $
- Salvage yard - $?
- trans to bell housing
- nuts/bolts for motor and trans mounts
Driveshaft
  • Drive shaft
- salvage - $?
- Tousley - $650
Final not - if the motor and/or tranny are salvage parts, it would be downright stupid to put then in the car before having a mechanic go over them to make sure nothing is broke, so you can add at least $100 to the cost if that needs to be done.

Last edited by jsimmons; 2/2/13 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 V6 to Coyote