Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2012-5.0-6MT-CAI?-Tune?-Tech Warning

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/11, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012-5.0-6MT-CAI?-Tune?-Tech Warning

Ford just came out with a new TSB concerning tuning, flashing, SCT etc etc that 'could void the warrenty' under certain conditions.

Spoke with a Ford Dealer Tech concerning the TSB. Was told while it's unlikely you are going to have a problem using a CAI, SCT etc when using it for 'spirited ' driving, he said the warning is there and Ford is keeping much closer track of ANY mods that come to a dealer with problems.

Latest edition of 5.0 had a two page article on a AIRAID install that was done with NO TUNE since the air tube restricture was put in place which the MAP has no problems handling.The dino pull showed about a 20hp, 20 lbs torque from the install with no tune.

To be on that safe side, and until this TSB gets a little more age on it, has anybody installed the AIRAID CAI that required no tune . . . and if so was the extra pull worth it. Were there any negatives except for the extra sound . . . if that's a negative.
Old 7/8/11, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

There are already several posts about this as it's been discussed heavily since 7/1/11

Last edited by fake; 7/8/11 at 06:21 PM.
Old 7/8/11, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by fake
There are already several posts about this as it's been discussed heavily since 7/1/11
Then discuss it some more, maybe the guy has been out of town / vacation or whatever.

To OP, the reputable tunes are safe bro.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-5.0-6MT-CAI?-Tune?-Tech Warning-img_20110530_135912-1.jpg  
Old 7/8/11, 10:02 PM

Nope, not out of town or vacation . . . just assumed incorrectly that the info (TSB) was too new combined with Airaid + no tune would have no posts. Wrong . . . will search.

PS 2012 GT- thanks for the brief on the no tune subject
Old 7/9/11, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They actually showed +20 hp from a CAI with NO tune?!

Pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical...
Old 7/9/11, 10:19 AM

10 or 20 orwhatever

Yup, now have seen some articles on results with and without the tune where the results vary by 100+%.

I'm sure part of the problem is related to which dyno used, temp/humidity level etc etc. I think I would put more creditability in some of the independent pulls vs those results coming from the manufactures.

Like any of the add-ons, a lot of the results seems to depend on marketing, smoke and mirrors plus specific results. Seems some of the perceived results come from the sucking sound the intake does vs what the upgrade really does.

FWIW.
Old 7/9/11, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20 hp from an intake change with the same size MAF is mathematically impossible.
Doesn't matter what kind of fancy tube you put behind it you still haven't changed the MAF size to affect anything.
Old 7/9/11, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by retiredf5
Ford just came out with a new TSB concerning tuning, flashing, SCT etc etc that 'could void the warrenty' under certain conditions.

Spoke with a Ford Dealer Tech concerning the TSB. Was told while it's unlikely you are going to have a problem using a CAI, SCT etc when using it for 'spirited ' driving, he said the warning is there and Ford is keeping much closer track of ANY mods that come to a dealer with problems.

Latest edition of 5.0 had a two page article on a AIRAID install that was done with NO TUNE since the air tube restricture was put in place which the MAP has no problems handling.The dino pull showed about a 20hp, 20 lbs torque from the install with no tune.

To be on that safe side, and until this TSB gets a little more age on it, has anybody installed the AIRAID CAI that required no tune . . . and if so was the extra pull worth it. Were there any negatives except for the extra sound . . . if that's a negative.
I have the Airaid CAI and a 91 octane race tune. I removed the tune recently and installed the restrictor in the Airaid. The car still pulls hard and to be honest I can't notice much if any difference in absolute power output.
In my opinion the tune was a waste of money. Others will surely disagree.
Old 7/9/11, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I have the Airaid CAI and a 91 octane race tune. I removed the tune recently and installed the restrictor in the Airaid. The car still pulls hard and to be honest I can't notice much if any difference in absolute power output.
Whos tune? And Ill give you $50 for that handheld
Old 7/9/11, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by slostang
Whos tune? And Ill give you $50 for that handheld
No thanks, for $50 I'll keep it as a reminder of how not to waste money.
The tune will remain anonymous but let's just say it is one of the more popular ones out there.
Old 7/9/11, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why not let people know so that they dont end up as un-happy as you are...hmmm?
Old 7/9/11, 10:03 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
If you think the tune was a waste, then go ahead and take the Airaid CAI off...You'll see how much of a waste that is.
Old 7/10/11, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bama tune with no CAI made an obvious difference...I mss it.
Old 7/11/11, 05:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a tune with the Airaid CAI and when i go back to stock with the Airaid only there is a big difference in power decrease. I had a tune only and it was a huge improvement over stock. The Airaid without a tune is said to give 13rwhp according to Airaid themselves.
Old 7/11/11, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So "minor piston damage" is cited in the TSB...

The problem with this is that we don't know if there is in fact minor piston damage happening to these cars from running even the "safe" tunes. Until there is a catastrophic failure or until people start burning oil at 25,000 miles, we won't know unless someone decides to do a engine tear down on a presumably healthy motor.

When I had my tune installed, I ran a "91 octane performance tune" on 93 octane fuel...and I felt a bit better...but knock events are not really predictable (in the real world) nor noticable...and one good knock is all it takes.

Yes, I am super cautious and ****...but this car represents a large portion of my dicressionary spending...so I'll be damned if I don't take care of it. :O
Old 7/11/11, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I daily drive my 2011 with the steeda intake/tune and have not had a single issue with the car thus far. The TSB from ford is just for covering their asses. I have no plans to de-tune my car just because of a random TSB talking about "possible" damage. There's a possibility your engine will grenade on the factory tune as well.
Old 7/11/11, 02:00 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I see this is a good thread to remind people of the language filter. If you have to go out of your way to bypass you will most likely will have your account suspended for 10 days. Now get back on topic.
Old 7/11/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by The Sheriff
Is your Mustang a daily driver & how many miles have you put on it, since your tune was installed?
I installed the tune at 1,200 miles and now have over 3,000. Best thing that I could have done to the car.
Old 7/11/11, 05:19 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
That's real good coming from a guy whose avatar reads, " I don't give a ****". Lead by example hypocrite! Is that ok for your language filter? Now, back to topic....
You realize he's a moderator, right? The quotes below the name are usually an inside joke or something sarcastic having to do with the person. Given his efforts at enforcing the language filter, I'd say it fits...

Edit: Looks like he already got you. lol.
Old 7/11/11, 05:24 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You realize he's a moderator, right? The quotes below the name are usually an inside joke or something sarcastic having to do with the person. Given his efforts at enforcing the language filter, I'd say it fits...

Edit: Looks like he already got you. lol.
Pretty sure he knew it and didn't care. I cleaned up this thread a bit as well.

Quick Reply: 2012-5.0-6MT-CAI?-Tune?-Tech Warning