Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2010-2013 Aftermarket Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/12, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010-2013 Aftermarket Manual Transmission

Just wondering if there is an aftermarket transmission that is a direct replacement for the MT-82? you hear a lot of complaints about the factory transmission (albiet somewhat exaggerated in comparison to the total # of cars produced/sold) i was wondering if tremec or someone offered an alternative that was a direct fit. And if so, how well do they work?
Old 4/6/12, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jac70ss
Just wondering if there is an aftermarket transmission that is a direct replacement for the MT-82? you hear a lot of complaints about the factory transmission (albiet somewhat exaggerated in comparison to the total # of cars produced/sold) i was wondering if tremec or someone offered an alternative that was a direct fit. And if so, how well do they work?
There's been talk of one but I don't think anybody's gone ahead and done it - remember, this transmission has been around for barely two years now. For the most part, it works great and I look forward to the day we stop having threads about it constantly.
Old 4/6/12, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes there is, but it requires a different shifter and and driveshaft.

The Tremec T-56 Magnum, or known as the TR6060 in OEM applications, will work in place of the MT82.

The only problem with the T-56 is the gear ratio's inside the T-56. Almost all variations , you would need 4.30 rear gears to make these work well with the extended rpm range of the Coyote 5.0. Most Tremec have been used in engines that top out in the low 6,000 rpm range, since the Coyote 5.0 runs up to 6,800 in stock tuned up to 7,400, you have to use lower rear gears to multiply the ratio's back down to reasonable speeds per gear.

As for the driveshaft, the MT82 uses a remote style shifter, which negates the need for an extended tail housing on the transmission, which requires the need for a longer driveshaft. On the Tremec, it uses a tail housing thus requiring a shorter driveshaft.

The shifter will not be the same as the MT82, as stated the MT82 uses a remote style shift that is not directly integrated into the tail housing of the transmisssion. If you get the direct fit T-56 Ford model from Tremec, I believe it comes with a shifter, but you may want to pop for the Hurst or MGW shifter instead.

The cost of a NEW Tremec T-56 is about $2900. Add-in another $800 or so for a nice new clutch and flywheel, and another $800-1000 for a nicely balanced, lightweight, low NVH driveshaft.

Last edited by kn7671; 4/6/12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 4/6/12, 11:59 AM

"Yes there is, but it requires a different shifter and and driveshaft.

The Tremec T-56 Magnum, or known as the TR6060 in OEM applications, will work in place of the MT82.

The only problem with the T-56 is the gear ratio's inside the T-56. Almost all variations , you would need 4.30 rear gears to make these work well with the extended rpm range of the Coyote 5.0. Most Tremec have been used in engines that top out in the low 6,000 rpm range, since the Coyote 5.0 runs up to 6,800 in stock tuned up to 7,400, you have to use lower rear gears to multiply the ratio's back down to reasonable speeds per gear.

As for the driveshaft, the MT82 uses a remote style shifter, which negates the need for an extended tail housing on the transmission, which requires the need for a longer driveshaft. On the Tremec, it uses a tail housing thus requiring a shorter driveshaft.

The shifter will not be the same as the MT82, as stated the MT82 uses a remote style shift that is not directly integrated into the tail housing of the transmisssion. If you get the direct fit T-56 Ford model from Tremec, I believe it comes with a shifter, but you may want to pop for the Hurst or MGW shifter instead.

The cost of a NEW Tremec T-56 is about $2900. Add-in another $800 or so for a nice new clutch and flywheel, and another $800-1000 for a nicely balanced, lightweight, low NVH driveshaft. "

OUCH! There should be an option code for that!
Old 4/6/12, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

OUCH! There should be an option code for that!

Or you just keep the MT82, because it really isnt that bad of a transmission, in fact its a very good transmission. The problem with this transmission is the people that buy mustangs. Unfortunately there is a bunch of A-holes that buy them and drive around clutch dumping 60% of the time. I've ran into them, so have you. Those are the people who have had problems with the MT82, but they would have problems with any transmission.

They will come on here and say they were driving like a granny and their transmission just poof, lost 2 gears, but they are lying. Sure, some people have legitimate issues, and those people will be taken care of by ford. This isn't as widespread as it seems on the forums, there are just a VERY vocal few who have had problems.
Old 4/6/12, 12:42 PM
GT Member

What's clutch dumping?
Old 4/6/12, 01:14 PM

Or you just keep the MT82, because it really isnt that bad of a transmission, in fact its a very good transmission. The problem with this transmission is the people that buy mustangs. Unfortunately there is a bunch of A-holes that buy them and drive around clutch dumping 60% of the time. I've ran into them, so have you. Those are the people who have had problems with the MT82, but they would have problems with any transmission.

They will come on here and say they were driving like a granny and their transmission just poof, lost 2 gears, but they are lying. Sure, some people have legitimate issues, and those people will be taken care of by ford. This isn't as widespread as it seems on the forums, there are just a VERY vocal few who have had problems.[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
Old 4/6/12, 01:15 PM

sorry, double post

Last edited by jac70ss; 4/6/12 at 01:16 PM.
Old 4/6/12, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steven
What's clutch dumping?
Clutch Dumping 101:

Step 1: Depress clutch fully

Step 2: Shift into 1st gear

Step 3: Depress throttle fully

Step 4: Slide foot to the left off clutch.

Step 5: Watch the smoke start pouring from your rear tires.
Old 4/6/12, 01:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tremec has a kit now for GT's to replace the MT82 with a T56/TR6060 made specifically for the 2011+ GT.

Don't know if it has been fully released yet but has been run and tested.

Kit will have all parts needed for the conversion including the shifter and driveshaft and cost is supposed to be in the $4K range.
Old 4/6/12, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Clutch Dumping 101:

Step 1: Depress clutch fully

Step 2: Shift into 1st gear

Step 3: Depress throttle fully

Step 4: Slide foot to the left off clutch.

Step 5: Watch the smoke start pouring from your rear tires.
Oh, I do this when I pull out of my garage all the time!
Old 4/7/12, 12:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have NEVER heard a lot of complaints about the MT-82. I've heard a few people repeatedly that don't know how to STFU. What exactly is *your* issue with the transmission, and why do you want to replace it already?

Old 4/7/12, 03:06 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
really? more of this??? really?

:facepalm:

I hear honda makes a very nice car with a great warranty. I hear the tranny is nice and smooth.
Old 4/7/12, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
FYI.....OP the 2010 Mustang GT had a Tremec 3650 not a MT-82.
Old 4/7/12, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Yes there is, but it requires a different shifter and and driveshaft.

The cost of a NEW Tremec T-56 is about $2900. Add-in another $800 or so for a nice new clutch and flywheel, and another $800-1000 for a nicely balanced, lightweight, low NVH driveshaft.
Hey buddy - do you have a shifter recommendation for the MT82?
Old 4/7/12, 01:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TheReaper
FYI.....OP the 2010 Mustang GT had a Tremec 3650 not a MT-82.
Old 4/7/12, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jason523
Hey buddy - do you have a shifter recommendation for the MT82?
MGW and nothing else.
Old 4/7/12, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by fake
MGW and nothing else.
OK... they look impressive. Everyone agree, is this a no-brainer?
Old 4/8/12, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I have NEVER heard a lot of complaints about the MT-82. I've heard a few people repeatedly that don't know how to STFU. What exactly is *your* issue with the transmission, and why do you want to replace it already?

I have no problem with the transmission and agree that abuse is most likely the culprit in a majority of any issues. Just curious IF there was an aftermarket option. Not trying to stir anything up, just asking.
Old 4/8/12, 11:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jason523

OK... they look impressive. Everyone agree, is this a no-brainer?
Agreed. Very solid company that makes great shifters.

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 Aftermarket Manual Transmission