Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

'13 GT Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/13, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT Axle Back Exhaust

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm a new member here... I'm looking to put some affordable axle back exhaust for my '13 GT but don't want that raspy and popping sound that some have. I don't want it to sound like an import. I was thinking of the Flowmaster Outlaws because I've heard they have the deep and low vintage musclecar sound to them. Plus, they're nice and cheap! Can anyone tell me if they're too loud for daily highway use? Drone etc. I'm not paying $700+ for an axle back system.

Last edited by RedGTs; 5/3/13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 03:46 PM

I researched this very thoroughly and was going to get the the Flowmasters because I didn't want to spend a lot of money. But I heard the Borla's on youtube and I was instantly sold on the Borla's even though they are more expensive. It is worth every penny, loud when you want it to be and a quite at highway speeds. The Borla's are more aggressive then any line of Flowmasters but I am completely satisfied that I spent a little more and got the better quality. American Muscle will price match Jegs on the Borlas for 650 if you call them. They retail for 850+.
Old 5/3/13, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

How's the drone of the Borla S at 2000rpm?

Last edited by RedGTs; 5/3/13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered the Outlaws myself yesterday, of all the video clips those are the ones I like the sound of best but they are very loud, about one step down from straight pipes. I found the best price at Autoplicity.com, $343 shipped.

Whether they are too loud is a subjective matter, you'd have to decide that for yourself.

You might want to consider a take-off set of 11-12 GT500 mufflers, I've seen them as cheap as $100 on ebay or craigslist and new they are about $310. They aren't as loud as some but a good step up from the regular GT.
Old 5/3/13, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I just ordered the Outlaws myself yesterday, of all the video clips those are the ones I like the sound of best but they are very loud, about one step down from straight pipes. I found the best price at Autoplicity.com, $343 shipped.

Whether they are too loud is a subjective matter, you'd have to decide that for yourself.

You might want to consider a take-off set of 11-12 GT500 mufflers, I've seen them as cheap as $100 on ebay or craigslist and new they are about $310. They aren't as loud as some but a good step up from the regular GT.
Thanks for the reply. My concern is that the GT500s are too quiet. My '66 has Flowmaster 40 series and is very loud. I like it but only for short trips which is all I drive the car for. Given it has no cats and full length headers on it....

Do you still have the outlaws on? Use it for daily driving?
Old 5/3/13, 06:13 PM
GTR Member

I JUST ordered them, they haven't come in yet, next week I hope.
Old 5/3/13, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor

Borla S-type has no drone, all the customer's I've sold to regarding the axle-backs I've asked and all have been very happy. Give us a shout, there are many brands out there for a great price. Two companies I really like are Kooks axleback and MRT-Direct Axle backs.
Old 5/4/13, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kooks makes great products. I'm running their catback.
Old 5/4/13, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Borla S-type has no drone, all the customer's I've sold to regarding the axle-backs I've asked and all have been very happy. Give us a shout, there are many brands out there for a great price. Two companies I really like are Kooks axleback and MRT-Direct Axle backs.
Thanks! THe biggest thing is I want a deep sound; I don't like the Ferrari/import sound that some systems have. I want it to sound like an American Muscle car.
Old 5/4/13, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by RedGTs
How's the drone of the Borla S at 2000rpm?
There is none.
Old 5/4/13, 02:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I JUST ordered them, they haven't come in yet, next week I hope.
Sorry, missed the "just" part...
Old 5/4/13, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor

The borla s-type will get you there, if you only plan on running an axle back or full headers the Borla mufflers sound great regardless. They're a little pricey though. To me, the next best thing are the kooks axle backs. Both are great quality and sound awesome.
Old 5/4/13, 04:51 PM
V6 Member

The borla s-type will get you there, if you only plan on running an axle back or full headers the Borla mufflers sound great regardless. They're a little pricey though. To me, the next best thing are the kooks axle backs. Both are great quality and sound awesome.
Good deep tone and no drone with the Kooks? You've got me interested.
Old 5/4/13, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor

I haven't heard of any issues with drone on the kooks and yes... a good deep tone. Give me a shout for pricing.
Old 5/4/13, 07:26 PM
GT Member

I've had the Kooks axle backs on my 11 GT for a couple weeks now. No drone and they have that muscle car sound I was looking for. You won't be disappointed. I picked mine up from eBay "gently" used If you're looking for YouTube clips to listen to them, search Steeda axle backs too since they're the same as the Kooks.

Demetrios
Old 5/5/13, 12:43 AM
GT Member

Gt500s are perfect, No drone at any rpms and a nice deep tone when you step on it. Once you put on an h or x pipe and a set of long tubes you will be good to go. Very loud at WOT and very quiet at cruising speeds with out any drone.

Here are a couple clips of mine

Old 5/5/13, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

I haven't heard of any issues with drone on the kooks and yes... a good deep tone. Give me a shout for pricing.
I think the Kooks are the way I'm going to go. I'm planning on making an order in 2 weeks when my funding comes in. I'll give you a shout. Do you have an email?
Old 5/5/13, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2010GBGT
I've had the Kooks axle backs on my 11 GT for a couple weeks now. No drone and they have that muscle car sound I was looking for. You won't be disappointed. I picked mine up from eBay "gently" used If you're looking for YouTube clips to listen to them, search Steeda axle backs too since they're the same as the Kooks.

Demetrios
Thanks, I think Kooks is the way I'm going to go. I need more noise than the GT500s but don't want the drone or to break the bank!
Old 5/5/13, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor

I think the Kooks are the way I'm going to go. I'm planning on making an order in 2 weeks when my funding comes in. I'll give you a shout. Do you have an email?
Yessir! info@hypermotiveperformance.com. Send us a shout and we will take care of ya!
Old 5/8/13, 06:45 PM
Banned

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm a new member here... I'm looking to put some affordable axle back exhaust for my '13 GT but don't want that raspy and popping sound that some have. I don't want it to sound like an import. I was thinking of the Flowmaster Outlaws because I've heard they have the deep and low vintage musclecar sound to them. Plus, they're nice and cheap! Can anyone tell me if they're too loud for daily highway use? Drone etc. I'm not paying $700+ for an axle back system.
Please read ROUSH Axle Back Thread.

Quick Reply: '13 GT Axle Back Exhaust