Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Tune results for 2010 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/10, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed that a few of you with a tuner also have a CAI...does the CAI along with the tuner make a bigger difference than just the tuner and stock box? I plan on SC'ing my car in about 6 months or so and don't wanna waist money on something I won't beable to use
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 12/12/10, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Onelildude
I noticed that a few of you with a tuner also have a CAI...does the CAI along with the tuner make a bigger difference than just the tuner and stock box? I plan on SC'ing my car in about 6 months or so and don't wanna waist money on something I won't beable to use
Somebody else can probably answer from their own experience; but from what I have read the CAI is good for about 10-15 HP over the stock air box, maybe less. The stock air box on the 2010 is pretty good so it's not a huge gain.

If I had definite plans for supercharger I would wait for sure.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 12/13/10, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks John...anyone else got anything?
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 12/14/10, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amadeus2001
I have the 2010 GT with 93 Performance Tune and....words cannot describe the increase in power. I also have the 93 Race Tune, have not flashed that yet, waiting until spring. Question?? Could the tune be responsible for my HORRIFYING throttle stick I recently experienced? I was cruising about 30 mph in 3rd gear, decided to floor it for a little fun (tune works great in 3rd) The pedal leaves my foot and sticks to the floor! The car is quickly gaining on the car in front of me even as I was slamming on the brakes. I popped it into neutral and of course the engine revs like nobody's business, tapped the throttle again with my right foot and it pops up. After slowing down, I promptly drove home an sat in my car for 5 minutes trying to get my heart rate to slow down. Should I disable the tune and go back to factory settings or is this a design flaw??? Please advise....worried in Ohio.
That happened to me getting on the freeway a couple years back. Be sure that the floor mat hook is properly connected. Else the mat migrates forward and can hang up on the pedal. Dang car wash peeps. I check every time now.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 12/14/10, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Onelildude
Thanks John...anyone else got anything?

C&L Performance has a fairly extensive writeup on their website of their 2010 CAI. They gained 10hp after installing their CAI without a tune, With a 91 octane tune they gained another 5,

Since the 2010 is already up 15hp on the 2009.., the stock 2010 GT tune is pretty aggressive,

I installed a 93 octane SCT tune from VMP last summer and throttle response is better,, but, the power wasn't drastically improved,

I'm going to install a Roush TVS next spring as soon as the weather starts warming up ... The Roush TVS uses the lower half of the stock air box and can make enough power to shred the stock internals ...

rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 12/15/10, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had the throttle stick, hmm. I would probably check out the floor mat advice. That's been an issue for a few customers in the past.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 1/17/11, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the throttle stick as well on my 2010 Grabber Blue and what it turned out to be was when the peddle was pushed fully to the floor..there was some plastic flashing (plastic that was not trimmed during production process) that caused the pedal to be stuck in WOT position. Your right, it is / was a VERY scary situation. i put the car in neutral and it continued to bounce off the rev limiter. Shut it off and physically pulled the pedal off the WOT position. When i got home I pulled the pedal apart, found the problem, fixed it myself...
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 1/19/11, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I had the throttle stick as well on my 2010 Grabber Blue and what it turned out to be was when the peddle was pushed fully to the floor..there was some plastic flashing (plastic that was not trimmed during production process) that caused the pedal to be stuck in WOT position. Your right, it is / was a VERY scary situation. i put the car in neutral and it continued to bounce off the rev limiter. Shut it off and physically pulled the pedal off the WOT position. When i got home I pulled the pedal apart, found the problem, fixed it myself...
****. The average person usually tends to panic in that situation and not know what to do. Kinda scary!
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 1/19/11, 11:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
. . . The average person usually tends to panic in that situation and not know what to do . . .
Probably comes a little easier to someone who is driving a stick and understands the idea of neutral, the average housewife who only moves the lever from "P" to "D" is more likely to not know what to do . . . but still good calm cool thinking there MyStang.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 1/19/11, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Probably comes a little easier to someone who is driving a stick and understands the idea of neutral, the average housewife who only moves the lever from "P" to "D" is more likely to not know what to do . . . but still good calm cool thinking there MyStang.
This is true. I can just imagine some yuppie looking for the OnStar button as he hits a wall at 100MPH, though. LOL Not really funny, but you know what I mean.
Old 1/21/11, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
I agree with you 100% on that
Old 5/11/11, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

update

So, I finally got around to buying the tuner and installing a tune or two . . .

First, American Muscle was great to work with on the tunes; I called them a few times to discuss some details and they always understood what I was talking about (seems a rare thing these days) and were very clear and helpful. They also e-mailed me the tune files so I can re-download them to the tuner someday if needed.

I ordered an unusual set of tunes
87 Street
93 Street
93 Performance
My car is my DD so I was mostly interested in the street tune, I've noticed that my car seems happier on 93 than 87 so wanted to try street tunes for both octanes, also wanted to try the performance tune, don't really need the Race tune (yet, though it might be fun!)

I tried the 93 Street tune first. It feels good down low which is where I do most of my driving. Throttle response is definitely improved but still not instantaneous (I guess that is inherent to drive-by-wire). I'd swear the car sounds better; that doesn't really make sense but maybe it is because I am getting into the throttle more. High RPM performance seems about the same as the factory tune. Checked MPG on my commute, about the same as the factory tune, maybe a slight improvement of 0-.5 MPG

Tried the 93 Performance tune next; didn't notice any big difference. For some reason it actually seems harder to get a good bark on the shift to second; maybe that is the relative lack of low-end torque (though the RPM's aren't really dropping down very low) or it seemed like maybe something isn't quite right with the traction control (I had turned it off, but it still "banged" like it does when the traction control kicks in; I am not sure what it going on) It does seem to rev quicker past about 3500 RPM but it is difficult to judge with just a "butt dyno". The surprise with the 93 Performance tune is that it seemed to give about a .5 MPG improvement (measured on an easy-going mostly highway commute)

Haven't tried the 87 Street tune yet.

So -- overall, I'd say it is an improvement but not huge. Keep in mind I already had the Roush CAI, and the 2010 comes with a pretty agressive tune from the factory.
Old 5/13/11, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same tune set up that youn have, and I did notice a "little" boost of performance from the 93 performance tune...

Don't even bother with the 93 race tune as my car ran "wild as hell" it was crazy! LOL

I have the Roush CAI, steeda pulleys, BBK throttle body, the Pypes chrome axel back (awesome) and the tune from Americam Muscle. You are correct, those guys are great!!!! I wouldn't buy from anywhere else. Like you, I am taking my time with my mods, my next purchase will be the cams, though I don't know which ones...
Old 5/15/11, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

The Street and Performance tune, you really don't notice a difference until you're pretty heavy on the throttle. That's where you'll feel the low-end on the Street tune, but the Performance tune will pull alot harder in the upper RPMs. I've settled with the Race tune, and once you get used to it, you'll probably never go back again!

Chris
Old 5/20/11, 04:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

another update -- I think the "banging" that I was associating with the traction control kicking-in is actually wheel hop

apparently the wheel hop is worse now that it was before, probably because more power/torque is getting to the real wheels, so I guess that is an "improvement" !

I guess I need to look at some better lower control arms . . .
Old 4/5/16, 11:43 AM

Throttle stick

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I've never had the throttle stick, hmm. I would probably check out the floor mat advice. That's been an issue for a few customers in the past.
Mine stuck once. Terrifying! It was floor mat.
Old 9/15/16, 06:07 AM

I got a Bama X4 and run the 93 race tune. Its well worth the money. My car is a 2010 GT weekend warrior with 12k on it. 3:73, Flowmaster American Thunder, Pypes X pipe, BBK Shorties, SR Underdrives, SR 62mm TB and Air Raid CAI. Race Tune from Bama was the most noticeable different besides the 3:73 gears. GO FOR IT
Old 5/22/18, 11:24 AM

At berr what do u all have done to your 2010 about how much power you have ?
Old 6/6/18, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I guess that was me you were "talking at" LOL ;-)

this section tends to be hidden and slow, you'll probably get better response in the main 2010-2014 section

I have just some fairly basic "bolt ons":
- Steeda underdrive pulleys (absolutely zero problems BTW)
- Roush intake (no tune required, came on the car when I bought it used)
- Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft (reduces drivetrain losses, might be good for a couple HP at the wheels)
- Bama 93 tune (old Race tune when I had it dynoed; now I have their V2 tune)

At the wheels, the dynojet dyno says 308 max TQ and 296 max HP with the Bama tune; versus 302 and 291 with the factory tune (on 93 octane gas) . . . so the Bama tune was worth about 6 ft-lb and 5 HP

Dyno sheet is attached . . . the two lines show the difference between the factory tune and the Bama tune, everything else is the same

yeah I know it sucks that it is sideways but i could not easily figure out how to rotate the PDF file without buying software to do it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mustang_dyno_chart.pdf (431.2 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Bert; 6/6/18 at 05:46 AM.