Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Question on 2010 Roush 427R

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/21, 08:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Question on 2010 Roush 427R

Hello everyone,
I own a red Roush 427R with 40K miles. It has all the badges under the hood and it is the real Roush. From Roush they were 435 HP and 400 Ft Lb or torque with a Roush Super Charger. I have been looking around to see if there is any HP left on the table with the 4.6. I've heard of changing the pulley size so you could increased boost. I can't imagine the tuning that must have to follow changing that pulley. With another Mustang I had, I bought a Diablo tuner. It worked really well but I had to send the tuner away to get it programmed. With that car I put larger injectors, a cold air intake kit, bigger throttle body and a taller rear gear. That car was pretty quick for what it was 02 GT. I am not sure why I want to add more HP. That car really works well..doesn't always stay hooked up now. I guess no matter how much you have... still a need for more speed. Any ideas?

Steve
Old 3/19/21, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
>Any ideas?

I'd say leave it alone, and instead go buy a toy to play with and do as you want. That Roush I'd juts let it be and enjoy it for what it is, as it is. Messin' with it might be a bad idea for a lot of reasons, and how many Roush 427Rs are there anyway? I'd be wanting to preserve it. And you can put quite the car together if you had a 'blank slate' to work with that you don't much otherwise have to care about so much, 'cause otherwise common except the things you mod it for.

That's my idea. But that's me, the conservative guy when it comes to performance mods on a specialty car like that. However, you need to do your own thing, and I respect that, so just be prepared to deal with whatever the mods will do to the car and your wallet.

And to that end... I'd instead be thinking of a local, reputable tuner that'll tweak the thing as it wants, with dyno and all that. That thing probably doesn't have a bank of base tunes to play with out there, being that kind of special, so a guy/gal who knows what's what and how to play with the thing right there as it reacts, and they react to it, is going to be your best bet on that thing, not a mail in/remote in service. OR... you could get a laptop, a blank computer, and do it yourself, but that's quite the bit of learning, and if you leaned them out, boom goes the engine. If you fatten it up, boom goes the engine. Basically, don't mess up or boom goes the engine...

For what this weirdo behind a keyboard thinks, anyway, there ya go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 3/20/21, 01:40 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts

Since the car is semi rare, and is already 11 model years old, I agree with HouTex. There is not that much left on the table without doing some serious internal upgrades. The car does have power, but not quite up to the newer models. If you want to build a racer or just something faster, then look for a early Coyote GT and go to it. More than likely if you tweek that thing too much you will loose on value when you go to sell and you likely will break something important when you put the hammer down.

Just another view and my 2¢'s
Old 3/20/21, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
If I remember correctly, those cars had the smaller M90 supercharger and they are getting about the maximum from it. If you spin it faster, it will mostly make more heat.

You might talk with LIto support@tudyno.com about tuning; or check out Department of Boost web site for potential upgrade to the M122 supercharger, which can turn slower and produce less heat with the same boost as the smaller M90. But you are already in the sweet spot power wise; if you want to go much higher than that you will need to upgrade the internals.
Old 3/26/21, 07:27 PM

Houtex,
That is excellent advice! The 2010 was a body change year for Mustang which I guess does mean something. Mine is 123 out of 515. It was also a year of HP boost. They went from 427 to 435. My car is in mint condition. One tiny scratch the average person wouldn't see. The original owner I actually knew and remember when he ordered it. I do a fair amount of traveling and have never seen another 2010 427 R with the red paint scheme. I only drive it in the summer. It never sees rain and is kept in heated and cooled space when not being driven. All that being said.. why mess with something that looks and runs perfectly... and the deep throaty sound of Roush exhaust is unique.
Thanks for the kick in the pants with some advice that really makes sense

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by Snov:
houtex (3/27/21), shaneyusa (3/29/21)
Old 3/26/21, 07:35 PM

As I said above... you guys are spot on. It runs perfectly, tons of power sounds incredible and looks right off the showroom floor. Let it be. I have no plans on selling.. I'll let the kids fight over it when Im gone. Kind of funny... neither can drive manual... and I am not teaching them in that car.
Again... thanks for the advice

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by Snov:
houtex (3/27/21), shaneyusa (3/29/21)