Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Hi Flow Cats - Brand Name or Universal??

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/22, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Flow Cats - Brand Name or Universal??

Just trying to figure out if it's really worth the money buying name brand Hi Flow cats compared to a universal set if the material is good. I already have Pypes X Pipe on stock cats and I am wanting to cut out my stock cats and weld in a set of hi flow cats. Pypes has just the cats for $230 a pair, or I can buy a pair of stainless universal hi flow cats for $120 for the pair. I'm in TN so no rust worries and I would paint these anyway at the welds with a high heat auto paint.

Thoughts on this? Just trying to figure out if a set of Pypes cats is worth the price over a set of universal cats that are the same measurements... I can make an adapter pipe to compensate for the angle on my 2010 4.6.
Old 9/1/22, 02:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
I also have the Pypes "cut n clamp x pipe" on stock cats... Take my advice, unless your just looking to increase the sound? high-flow cats do very little for increasing HP/TQ over the stock cats...
Anyhow, just saying thru personal experience...
Old 9/1/22, 02:34 PM

Thanks for responding so fast. I'm really just looking to increase the sound volume. I mainly just use it as a weekend warrior.
Old 9/3/22, 02:42 PM

Anytime! As for brand name vs universal hi-flow cats are concerned? If the quality is top notch and the company stands behind their products, then go with them while saving yourself some money in the process...
The following users liked this post:
ZManTN (9/7/22)
Old 9/5/22, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
to avoid trouble with emissions down the road, I'd go with the better brand name, avoid the super-cheap ones ... and you still might have problems passing emissions, if that is a thing where you live (even if it is not today, it might be in the future)

actually I probably would not change the cats at all, if it was my car; I'd stick with the factory cats and change the muffler if I wanted it louder ... but you already have muffler delete, and you want it louder? wow, you must like it REALLY loud, LOL

ZManTN (9/7/22)
Old 9/5/22, 01:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Tennessee does still have noise laws

Last edited by Siber Express; 9/5/22 at 01:13 PM.
ZManTN (9/7/22)
Old 9/7/22, 11:13 AM

Good advice Bert, and I still have my factory h pipe and am keeping the factory cats for future use if Memphis does bring back emissions/inspections. I just really like a loud exhaust which is really the sole purpose for the high flow cats. I actually went with Flowmaster for these. I got 200 cell so it should definitely turn up the volume I hope lol. So far I have not been too impressed with just going the x pipe / muffler deletes. They're loud but not as loud as AM or others would have one think. One of the guys at AM actually told me that I would **** off my neighbors going with the deletes but, honestly it's just not that loud.
Old 9/7/22, 11:14 AM

True but we have a lot of mustangs, chargers, challengers, etc in Memphis and they are twice the volume I'm at and I've seen MPD right next to some of those guys and not give a hoot. Hopefully, they'll show me the same disinterest.
Old 9/9/22, 11:12 AM

Update: I had the high flow Flowmasters cats installed yesteday. These are 200 cell race cats and they absolutely woke the sound of my exhaust right the eff up. I wanted to just summarize my experience on my whole exhaust set up because I have learned a lot since day one and I really hope it helps someone else in the future. There's a lot to be learned about HF cats too. I was debating on 400 cell and 200 cell for some time and in hindsight, I probably should've gone with the 400 cell because they might not have been as loud as my 200 cell cats. I'm totally fine with my 200 cell but dang they are very, very loud. I know the stock cats are 400 cell and so it didn't make sense to me that going to 400 cell HF cats would really make a difference in sound. I learned however that HF 400 cell cats would actually increase sound volume over 400 cell stock cats because the HF ones are shorter and bigger in diameter than 400 cell stock cats. I didn't take that into consideration before I bought the 200 cell HF cats. Another thing is that I had the o2 sensors installed after the HF cats but just before the x-pipe (now also welded on). 30 miles since yesterday with lots of hard driving and NO check engine lights! I am impressed about that.

Anyway, to sum it up, I bought my mustang bone stock and the first exhaust upgrade I made was adding flowmaster flowfx axlebacks on an otherwise totally stock exhaust. They did amplify the stock sound pretty good and made a nice deep tone but it was not very loud. I would say 2-3 on a 5 scale sound meter. Months later, I installed a Pypes x-pipe (clamped on) and that replaced my factory h-pipe. It actually seemed to quiet down my flowmaster flowfx axlebacks a tad so I would say a solid 2 out of 5 at that point and to be honest, I was disappointed about the sound reduction so I decided to replace my Flowmaster Flowfx axlebacks with C&L muffler deletes thinking they would add more volume. With the C&Ls installed later on, the sound changed again and this time with the x-pipe and C&Ls combined on stock headers and stock cats, the sound volume increase back to a solid 3 but only under wot. They were a solid 2 under normal driving and again that was a disappointment for me. I also wanted to mention that the Pypes x-pipe clamp on is not ideal. I installed it myself and was meticulous with seating them on the factory piping and they still leaked at a couple different spots. I just could not fix it with the clamps. Since installing the HF cats though, I did have the x-pipe welded on at the cats but not at the rear because they weren't leaking at the rear factory clamps.

Now jump ahead to today, I had my Flowmaster high flow 200 cell race cats installed yesterday and o2 bungs installed after them just before the x-pipe. My sound volume is AT LEAST a solid 5 and that is no exaggeration. Those HF cates cranked my sound volume waaaaay up and it's exactly what I was looking for. It's actually a tad bit too loud from 2000 - 2700 rpm LOL. I would even say they are level 6 in that specific rpm range. So at the end of the day, my exhaust set up is stock headers > Flowmaster high flow cats > Pypes x-pipe > C&L muffler deletes. I suppose I could install those Flowmaster Flowfx axlebacks again to maybe tone it down to a 4-5 sound volume but right now I don't plan on it.

ALSO, right after the cats were installed, I absolutely noticed a low-end power loss in torque. I am waiting for Lito to get back to me with the intention of restoring 'some' of that low-end power but also optimizing top end power. If he can only restore 30-50%, of that low end power loss, I'm fine with that for now because I plan on upgrading my cams to a low-mid range power band increase set by end of year anyway.

I hope that helps anyone in the future. Here's a video link of my current exhaust note with the HF cats:

Last edited by ZManTN; 9/9/22 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZManTN:
Bert (9/9/22), m05fastbackGT (9/9/22)
Old 9/9/22, 03:47 PM

I think you made the right choice by going with the Flowmaster HF 200 cell cats over the HF 400 cells... In my honest opinion, despite being shorter over the stock cats, I don't think you would had been very pleased with the Flowmaster HF 400 cell cats, as they still nevertheless have a larger diameter over the stockers, and therefore would more than likely not be quite loud enough to your liking... At the end of the day, I think you've accomplished your goals and after viewing your YouTube video, it was more than enough to confirm just that...
Meanwhile, congrats and thanks for following up with us
ZManTN (9/9/22)