Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Which Ford Racing parts?

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Ford Racing parts?

I'm not completely for sure but I'd like to start with but maybe...

Ford Racing 2010 Mustang GT High Flow K&N Filter-- M-9601-MGT
or
Ford Racing 2010 Mustang GT High Flow K&N Filter with Performance Calibration -- M-9603-MGT
and / or
Ford Racing 2010 Mustang GT Power Upgrade Pack -- M-FR1-MGTA

and I saw a CAI replacement with a K&N filter but I now I can't seem to find it. I'm just looking to enhance the engine performance and I thought if it could breathe better, that would be a start. I know one of those would require a tune and that I would need to use Premium fuel. I'm not racing and I'm not looking for a supercharger. This is a daily driver, automatic with just over 5K miles. I'll probably trade this one in about 3 years for a 50th Anniversary edition. I don't want to go crazy with mods, in fact these will be the first I've ever done. I'm not sure these are even worth the money but I thought I would check them out.

I saw this one but I'm sure I'm ready to spend $2,000.

FORD RACING 2005-2010 4.6L INTAKE/CAMS/THROTTLE BODY POWER PACKAGE -- M-FR5-S197

I know there are cheaper options out there but I'm not mechanically inclined (at least with cars) and would rather have something installed by a professional. Your thoughts / advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by IguanaKeepr; 5/19/10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 5/19/10, 04:00 PM
GT Member

I'd go with the power upgrade pack and handling upgrade pack. Beyond that, short-throw shifter, X-pipe and, maybe, brake upgrade. The latter, alas, means you need wheels, too; maybe two full sets of 'em if you deal with snow.

Always happy to spend your money.
Old 5/20/10, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The performance pack is nice as long as you like them mufflers. If they're not your taste just go with the tune/filter. Almost $700 more is a lot for the mufflers unless you really like them and I never figured out why they add the oil filter to the performance pack.
Old 5/20/10, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm selling my old K&N performance filter for $25
You'll save $50. It's been cleaned and I'll ship it for free.
Let me know...

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=482983

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 5/20/10 at 08:19 PM.
Old 5/20/10, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
I'm selling my old K&N performance filter for $25
You'll save $50. It's been cleaned and I'll ship it for free.
Let me know...
Crap… I just ordered one this afternoon. I emailed four dealers asking about Ford Racing parts and not one responded so I decided to just get the filter and I think I’m going to order a Diablosport Predator. It looks / sounds pretty idiot proof. That’s probably all I’m going to do right now. Sorry, I would’ve definitely bought yours… I paid double that.
Old 5/20/10, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ksguy73
If they're not your taste just go with the tune/filter.
Thanks for your help. That's what I'm going to do.
Old 5/20/10, 08:45 PM
Cobra R Member

No worries man,
You'll definitely notice it breaths a lot better.
Old 7/10/10, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Hey IGUANA, how do you like the performance calibration? I was thinking about doing it, I already have the filter. Let me know what you think.
Old 7/19/10, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustang1979
Hey IGUANA, how do you like the performance calibration? I was thinking about doing it, I already have the filter. Let me know what you think.
I'm really happy with my custom tune. I’m not sure where you're located but I went to a local shop here in Georgia (Injected Engineering) and bought an SCT flash device and they loaded it with an 87/89 and a 93 tune. I was getting ready to purchase one at americanmuscle.com but I was able to find a local SCT dealer from their website. I really wanted to talk to someone and ask questions. I started out with the 93 tune which was nice, and quick, but I just didn't like the constant jerky shifts and the "crack addict" way it always took off. It was too much, for me, as a daily driver.

I ended up stepping down to the 87/89 tune and I'm really pleased with it. The transmission shifts much smoother, more like the factory settings, and only gets jerky if I step on it. It's still got some extra power but it waits for me to call it. I still fill up with 93 octane and I'm thinking of getting a JTL CAI (recommended by Injected) and then having it re-tuned. All of this boils down to taste. But for now, I'm very happy with a simple $400 upgrade that made a noticeable difference in performance. I hope this helps. Good luck.