Notices
Brilliant or Ingot Silver Brilliant or Ingot Silver 2010+ Mustangs

Painted Roof

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/14, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted Roof

Hey folks. does anyone have any tips, info, pics or ideas on a painted roof for an ingot silver mustang. looking to do a gloss black to give it the appearance of full glass.
Old 3/13/14, 01:31 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by MrDomo
Hey folks. does anyone have any tips, info, pics or ideas on a painted roof for an ingot silver mustang. looking to do a gloss black to give it the appearance of full glass.

Don't they sell roof vinyls at American Muscle for this. I think it's so GT owners can simulate the 2012 Boss roofs.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. Plus it's temporary. Then if you like it you could always paint it or just replace it with another one if the first one gets damaged or faded.
Old 3/13/14, 04:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Don't they sell roof vinyls at American Muscle for this. I think it's so GT owners can simulate the 2012 Boss roofs.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. Plus it's temporary. Then if you like it you could always paint it or just replace it with another one if the first one gets damaged or faded.
Yes they do and I have a brand new one for sale if the OP wants to save a few $. PM me if interested.
Old 3/13/14, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MrDomo
MrDomo,

I think we have just what you're looking for. It's a gloss black roof vinyl that covers the entire roof of your S197 Mustang. The vinyl takes some time to apply carefully, but it's not too difficult. Plus it costs a hell of a lot less than paint!

We also offer it in a few different colors or shades, including Matte Black if you're interested. Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Old 3/13/14, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
contact any vinyl installers in your local.. they could get you a deal on this + installation... note the installation is not easy without a heat gun.

attached below my friends got this installed locally for if i remember right like 120 bucks...

Painted Roof-dsc_0053.jpg

Painted Roof-dsc_0061.jpg
Old 3/13/14, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Plastidip
Old 3/13/14, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
contact any vinyl installers in your local.. they could get you a deal on this + installation... note the installation is not easy without a heat gun.

attached below my friends got this installed locally for if i remember right like 120 bucks...
I remember when I really wanted the roof on my mach 1 to be wrapped in vinyl, asked what they would charge if I brought my own vinyl.

Tried to say it would be $300+

F'n ridiculous! Should only cost $120 max if not under $100.

Assigning of a company to try to screw individuals over rather than give 1 flat rate.

Finally said F it and told myself id rather plastidip it myself (yeah a cheaper look but I did it myself and didn't have to deal with those ********)

No one can do a quality job anymore! Especially for a fair price! I'm so sick of people getting screwed over who just want to personalize their vehicle.

I THOUGHT THESE PEOPLE GOT INTO THE JOB TO HELP OTHER CAR ENTHUSIASTS, NOT SCREW EVERYONE OVER FOR A QUICK BUCK.

MAKES ME SICK!!!!

Exact reason why my car hasn't gotten performance mods, unsure how to do it myself and don't trust any shops.
Old 3/13/14, 06:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got quoted ~$300 for roof wrap too from a local place.
Old 3/13/14, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Like they would be wrapping my **** roof in gold.

I would knowingly rather pay more for a tint job (all windows and eyebrow) than to get my roof wrapped.

I'm sorry but its not that hard. I can do it just fine, just need a heat gun( plus it might be a little bubbly.... That's the cost of why I would want it done professionally.... But not for that price!)

They want you to bend over for them.
Old 3/14/14, 01:52 AM

I had seen the vinyls from AM and they look like the better choice but i am afraid to install it. I unfortunately do not have a garage to install it in so i get direct sunlight especially pollen this time of year. But i deafenatelly do not want to pay 300 + for a job for just the roof. especially if i am providing the vinyl.

Thanks for the input guys. Ill keep debating whether or not to install it myself.
Old 3/14/14, 02:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach1Maniac
Like they would be wrapping my **** roof in gold. I would knowingly rather pay more for a tint job (all windows and eyebrow) than to get my roof wrapped. I'm sorry but its not that hard. I can do it just fine, just need a heat gun( plus it might be a little bubbly.... That's the cost of why I would want it done professionally.... But not for that price!) They want you to bend over for them.
Dude you obviously have never tried to do this yourself. If you have a garage, a heatgun, and 2-3 hours to kill, go for if. I dare you. I attempted to do my own on my 03 and it was terrible. Maybe with another set of hands, it might have been easier. Most shops charge $100/hr per labor. That is pretty much the standard around here. 2-3 hours = $2-300, and they are professionals. That's the price you pay to play. I ended up ripping it off in frustration because I couldn't finish the job. I had some really thick, good quality vinyl, and I warped it in some spots due to using too much heat. I also scratched it up when smoothing air bubbles out with the provided squeegee, even after I wrapped it with a microfiber (and used lots of the spray solution to keep it moist). If is NOT as easy as it looks. It require patience, practice and a clean room if you have one available.
Old 3/14/14, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Dude you obviously have never tried to do this yourself. If you have a garage, a heatgun, and 2-3 hours to kill, go for if. I dare you. I attempted to do my own on my 03 and it was terrible. Maybe with another set of hands, it might have been easier. Most shops charge $100/hr per labor. That is pretty much the standard around here. 2-3 hours = $2-300, and they are professionals. That's the price you pay to play. I ended up ripping it off in frustration because I couldn't finish the job. I had some really thick, good quality vinyl, and I warped it in some spots due to using too much heat. I also scratched it up when smoothing air bubbles out with the provided squeegee, even after I wrapped it with a microfiber (and used lots of the spray solution to keep it moist). If is NOT as easy as it looks. It require patience, practice and a clean room if you have one available.
I get how hard it is.

When I worked at RadioShack, half of my job was putting screen covers, sticky cases and all sorts on phones, tablets.

I wrapped my mac in carbon fiber.

I'm sorry but I still disagree it shouldn't cost that. A couple of practice runs would ready you up for the roof ( after watching youtube videos )

I was terrible when I started with plastidip.

After a while I got good enough to dip my hood with lines so perfect it looks painted.

I'm not saying it isn't hard and that the credit isn't due to the professionals.

I'm just saying it can be done at an affordable price by yourself with a little experience (on other areas) the right tools and just enough patience.

For $300, I would rather buy a mid pipe, and dip the roof myself and if 2 months down the road I want it off, it only takes less than 5 minutes and I didn't waste more than $15 on tape, newspaper and plasti dip.

Like I said, I just don't think I could happily walk away from paying $300 for the instal when I bring my own vinyl.
Old 3/14/14, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the Mac in case anyone was curious.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Roof-image-2818620746.jpg  
Old 3/14/14, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach1Maniac
I get how hard it is. When I worked at RadioShack, half of my job was putting screen covers, sticky cases and all sorts on phones, tablets. I wrapped my mac in carbon fiber. I'm sorry but I still disagree it shouldn't cost that. A couple of practice runs would ready you up for the roof ( after watching youtube videos ) I was terrible when I started with plastidip. After a while I got good enough to dip my hood with lines so perfect it looks painted. I'm not saying it isn't hard and that the credit isn't due to the professionals. I'm just saying it can be done at an affordable price by yourself with a little experience (on other areas) the right tools and just enough patience. For $300, I would rather buy a mid pipe, and dip the roof myself and if 2 months down the road I want it off, it only takes less than 5 minutes and I didn't waste more than $15 on tape, newspaper and plasti dip. Like I said, I just don't think I could happily walk away from paying $300 for the instal when I bring my own vinyl.
I put on plenty a screen protector in my days at Apple, and consider myself an expert at it. That is nothing compared to a curved roof. I agree I wouldn't want to pay that to do it myself, which is why I spent $45 on a sheet of 3M vinyl off eBay and tried to do it myself, and I failed miserably. Now if I had a garage, and wasn't rushing, I might have done a better job, but I was trying to finish it in less than an hour, and to do a good job it simply takes longer than that.

Btw your iMac is sick! I'm going to do my iPad mini with a CF skin on the back and will do my next MacBook (have an 11" Air now, but it's going on 4 years old and isn't worth wrapping at this point).
Old 2/7/16, 10:56 AM

Painted roof

Just painted my ingot silver 2014 RTR roof gloss black and lovin it