Tony Stewart Breaks Leg in Sprint Car Race at Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/13, 12:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Tony Stewart Breaks Leg in Sprint Car Race at Iowa

"
Three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart was involved in a four-car wreck Monday night and left Southern Iowa Speedway in an ambulance. Stewart-Haas Racing announced that Stewart broke the tibia and fibula bones in his lower right leg and underwent surgery at a local hospital.
According to a team release, a replacement driver for this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International has not been determined."

Full story and video of crash....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-080513#!hrcjV
Old 8/6/13, 12:26 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 8/6/13, 12:57 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I'd be pissed if I had sunk millions of dollars in sponsorship into his Cup team and then him get hurt out playing around on a dirt track. I know its a little different with him being a team owner, but I wonder if other drivers have any clauses in their contracts about injuries received while doing other dangerous activities outside of their NASCAR driving jobs? Don't some other sports like basketball, football, etc. have stuff like that about players riding motorcycles and such?
Old 8/6/13, 01:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Karma?

Stewart’s wreck continued a recent trend for the 42-year-old driver in sprint car races. He also flipped last week at Ohsweken Speedway in Ontario, Canada, and caused a multicar pileup at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on July 16.

He was asked about that crash at Pocono Raceway last weekend.

"You mortals have got to learn," Stewart said. "You guys need to watch more sprint car videos and stuff. It was not a big deal. It's starting to get annoying this week about that, so that was just an average sprint car wreck. When they wreck they get upside down like that. That was not a big deal."
Old 8/6/13, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I'd be pissed if I had sunk millions of dollars in sponsorship into his Cup team and then him get hurt out playing around on a dirt track. I know its a little different with him being a team owner, but I wonder if other drivers have any clauses in their contracts about injuries received while doing other dangerous activities outside of their NASCAR driving jobs? Don't some other sports like basketball, football, etc. have stuff like that about players riding motorcycles and such?
Good thing you aren't a sponsor. I understand but I'm sure his sponsors are well aware of his off track (NASCAR) activities/races as I believe some of his sponsors/partners follow him to other races. It may even be part of his contract. And yes, there are many "clauses" in athletes contracts prohibiting them from external activities.

And say what you will about him racing (not you directly) but it is refreshing to see a modern racer that likes to race. About as close to a throwback racer (Mario, AJ) as there is today.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/6/13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 8/6/13, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Evil Captri.
Old 8/6/13, 03:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 67Drewstang
I'm with Evil Captri.
+1

He was racing, he is a race car driver..lol it's not like he was playing with explosives or something

Nick C.
Old 8/6/13, 04:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

These Sprint cars are pretty unsafe. Didn't NASCAR Jason Leffler died recently driving one of them?
Old 8/6/13, 06:17 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

Good thing you aren't a sponsor. I understand but I'm sure his sponsors are well aware of his off track (NASCAR) activities/races as I believe some of his sponsors/partners follow him to other races. It may even be part of his contract. And yes, there are many "clauses" in athletes contracts prohibiting them from external activities.

And say what you will about him racing (not you directly) but it is refreshing to see a modern racer that likes to race. About as close to a throwback racer (Mario, AJ) as there is today.
I agree even though I don't like the little ****!!! Wasn't Ken Schrader also always racing different venues throughout the season and also the off season.
Old 8/6/13, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
These Sprint cars are pretty unsafe. Didn't NASCAR Jason Leffler died recently driving one of them?
Gotta die from something, man.

I think we, as a culture, put waaaaaay too much emphasis on safety today.

Sprint cars are fun; probably the purest form of racing left.
Old 8/7/13, 08:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If he's going to race other stuff and risk his life, I wish he would race something else like Indy, or at least something with meaning. If I was a sprint car driver, I'd hate trying to compete with a million dollar operation rolling into town that doesn't even care if he wins or crashes. He KNOWS people want him to race indycar. Give the people what they want... sponsors would be throwing money at him.
Old 8/7/13, 08:08 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
If he's going to race other stuff and risk his life, I wish he would race something else like Indy, or at least something with meaning. If I was a sprint car driver, I'd hate trying to compete with a million dollar operation rolling into town that doesn't even care if he wins or crashes. He KNOWS people want him to race indycar. Give the people what they want... sponsors would be throwing money at him.
He can't race Indy. He can't risk sucking or losing.
Old 8/7/13, 08:10 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
He's not as vested in Indianapolis anymore. He owns a short track/dirt track (Eldora) so racing in Sprint cars helps generate interest for his partners and his track.
Old 8/7/13, 09:16 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

... rolling into town that doesn't even care if he wins or crashes ...
I think its actually opposite. Those Sprint drivers don't really have multi-million dollars sponsors and can't afford a new car for every race, they probably use the same car all year long. So it make a huge difference to them if they crash or not.
Old 8/7/13, 09:17 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Gotta die from something, man.
Yeah, when you're 80 - not 30.
Old 8/7/13, 10:44 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I think its actually opposite. Those Sprint drivers don't really have multi-million dollars sponsors and can't afford a new car for every race, they probably use the same car all year long. So it make a huge difference to them if they crash or not.
I think hes referring to Stewart rolling in with a multi-million operation racing against people that work everyday and race on the weekend with a limited budget.
Old 8/7/13, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Yeah, when you're 80 - not 30.
It's amazing that we've become such cowards that we even condemn others for not living in fear, peeing their pants at the concept of danger.

We've become, as a nation, so risk averse that we refuse to really live.

And people pay big money for the illusion of danger, like bungee jumping.

What we need is more Steve McQueens and less Jeanne Garafolos.

More Hedy Lamars and less Justin Biebers.

I'd rather have a life with tons of experiences than a nice, safe, pastoral existence.

There once was a time when a man would be looked down upon for asking "but, but, is it safe???? (pees panties)."
Old 8/7/13, 07:15 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It's amazing that we've become such cowards that we even condemn others for not living in fear, peeing their pants at the concept of danger.

We've become, as a nation, so risk averse that we refuse to really live.

And people pay big money for the illusion of danger, like bungee jumping.

What we need is more Steve McQueens and less Jeanne Garafolos.

More Hedy Lamars and less Justin Biebers.

I'd rather have a life with tons of experiences than a nice, safe, pastoral existence.

There once was a time when a man would be looked down upon for asking "but, but, is it safe???? (pees panties)."
Ok James Dean wannabe, if you wanna live your life that way - more power to you.

p.s. There is a big difference between courage and stupidity.
Old 8/8/13, 10:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think he is too big now to drive an Indy Car, just sayin....

That kind of injury is a bad one... Tib/Fib Fractures are nasty...
Old 8/8/13, 10:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by jacostang
I think he is too big now to drive an Indy Car, just sayin....

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart Breaks Leg in Sprint Car Race at Iowa