Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

SPEED GT - Volvo Set for Road America Debut

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/04 | 09:05 AM
Post *****

Been waiting all year for this!!

Written by: RACER staff
Sykesville, MD – 8/17/2004

After completing a “major phase” of testing of its new Volvo S60R SPEED World Challenge GT cars, Volvo North America and At Speed Motorsports announced plans to enter the SPEED World Challenge GT race this Saturday at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis.

"I couldn’t be happier with the track results. This is what we’ve been working so hard for all year," said team owner Bob Miller. "I really had a blast out there. In the final run, the only reason I came in was because I had run it almost out of gas!"

"But it’s really just the first step. Now we have to show everyone else it was worth the wait.”

Their will be only one entry at Road America, driven by five-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Derek Bell. The team plans to add a second car, piloted by Jameson Riley, for the next race on the SPEED GT schedule, the weekend of Sept. 22-25 at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga.

Miller is keeping his expectations realistic for the team’s debut, but indicated confidence the Volvo would be strong out of the box. “I’m not promising a podium, but I can promise you we’ll be competitive, and people will notice us," he said.

Catch the SPEED GT race from Road America on SPEED Channel on Sunday, Aug. 29 at 1 p.m. ET.

www.speedtv.com
Old 8/23/04 | 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish they'd show SWC on the same day as the race. I have to avoid the road racing section of speedtv.com for a week so I don't find out who won. It doesn't help that they usually put the race results in the headlines either.

I saw them in person at Mid-Ohio this June. You really have to be there live to apreciate the sound that comes out of those Caddies. Plus you can see the Mustangs that are almost never shown on TV.
Old 8/24/04 | 05:55 AM
GTR Member

It's good to know that Volvo's racing arm is expanding. I wonder how much of the old 850 running gear has been recycled, that was a tried and tested machine..
Old 8/24/04 | 06:04 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@August 24, 2004, 5:58 AM
It's good to know that Volvo's racing arm is expanding. I wonder how much of the old 850 running gear has been recycled, that was a tried and tested machine..
I think the S60R has many new parts, especially the AWD, which I'm not sure the 850's had? Did they James?

One of the sticking points for Volvo's late entry into this years SPEED GT was/is their AWD system.
Old 9/7/04 | 09:05 AM

All offseason i was waiting to see volvo race, but when caddy came out so strong and the GTO has been mediocore i kinda forgot about the s60r running. I cant wait to see what it can do.
Old 9/8/04 | 09:30 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by SVTfocus@September 7, 2004, 9:08 AM
All offseason i was waiting to see volvo race, but when caddy came out so strong and the GTO has been mediocore i kinda forgot about the s60r running. I cant wait to see what it can do.
The Lone Volvo didn't fare too well, but that is to be expected. They (Volvo) are suppose to field 2-3 cars in the next race.