Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Sources: Dodge out of NASCAR

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/12, 07:26 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Sources: Dodge out of NASCAR

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...13-source-says

Dodge is expected to announce its withdrawal from NASCAR competition following the 2012 season, multiple sources with knowledge of Dodge's plans told ESPN.com.

Dodge is expected to hold a Tuesday press conference to make the announcement. Attempts to contact multiple Dodge spokespeople for comment were unsuccessful or resulted in no comment.

Dodge was faced with a rebuilding phase beginning in 2013, after Penske Racing -- the lone NASCAR organization to field Dodges since 2009 -- chose to leave the manufacturer in favor of Ford Motor Company beginning next season.
Old 8/7/12, 07:30 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/

That in turn generated additional speculation as to why Fiat-Chrysler would let that agreement lapse, and one can only assume that the company cannot get a front-line team involved on their behalf. When Andretti Autosport announced that its "window of opportunity" to field a team in NASCAR in 2013 had closed, it was correctly speculated that Fiat-Chrysler balked at the very large number that would be required to get Andretti involved in the automaker's Sprint Cup effort. After the involvement of the Andretti Autosport organization didn't come together, the residual options remaining for Dodge are decidedly second- and third-tier opportunities, even though Andretti had no substantive experience outside of IndyCar and sports cars.

When you combine a stagnant Sprint Cup engine development program with a second- or third-tier Sprint Cup effort, a team that would lack on so many levels in terms of car-building ability, technical expertise, research and development resources, and on top of that a team saddled with the inability to deal with the ramifications involved with fielding a front-line Sprint Cup effort for a major manufacturer in NASCAR, then you have a recipe for a disaster.

The final clue that Dodge is done? This past weekend marked the debut in the American Le Mans Series of the SRT Motorsports Viper Racing program in the manufacturer-intensive GT class, a two-car effort that is said to be a three-year deal with Riley Technologies, based in Mooresville, North Carolina. The production Viper is marking its return to the streets and byways, and the corresponding racing program is designed to enhance its credibility and reputation in the sports car market. This marks a return of sorts to past glory days for the Viper in international GT racing, and a program that is - oh, by the way - dramatically cheaper than a front-line Sprint Cup program.
Old 8/7/12, 07:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So they introduced 2013 NASCAR Charger and then decided to quit?
Old 8/7/12, 09:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
May have been a last ditch effort to sell teams on 2013. Must have not gotten any bites.
Old 8/7/12, 09:10 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

There were stories that Furniture Row is looking to swith from Chevy to Dodge in 2013, adding the 2nd team with Kurt Busch as a driver.
And there were plenty of stories about Petty going back to Dodge in 2013.
Old 8/7/12, 01:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

As I've been saying, and as Giles alludes to in this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kt9x...ature=youtu.be

the problem with options like Petty is they don't have the resources to be a flagship team. They (Dodge and teams interested in Dodge) need time to set up an operation capable of running the brand, less time than they have given the demands of sponsors, testing, etc. Penske really caught them flat-footed, and it looks like Roger isn't exactly bending over backwards to help Dodge live on after his departure (not that I blame him), so they'll be out of 2013 and hope to put everything in place to return in 2014.
Old 8/7/12, 01:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yay!
Old 8/7/12, 02:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
nobody will admit it but nascar is dying .. watch the truck race sometimes .. not a single fan in the stands .. the busch league mite have a quarter of the seats full .. and nascar big boys rarely have a full stadium ..open it back up to all makes and essentially make it like IROC racing ...
Old 8/7/12, 03:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
nobody will admit it but nascar is dying .. watch the truck race sometimes .. not a single fan in the stands .. the busch league mite have a quarter of the seats full .. and nascar big boys rarely have a full stadium ..open it back up to all makes and essentially make it like IROC racing ...
I've noticed the stands. Yet other sporting events are typically pretty full (which has kind of surprised me due to the slow economy).
Old 8/7/12, 04:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I've noticed the stands. Yet other sporting events are typically pretty full (which has kind of surprised me due to the slow economy).
Slow? How about dead?

But I digress.

Until they stop letting those Hendrick Chevy motors run 2 mph faster than anyone else around the track it's pointless.
Old 8/7/12, 07:22 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't watched a NASCAR race in I can't even remember how long. I stop watching some years ago when JJ was winning everything, and they started putting out cautions with 10 laps to go so that the field would bunch up and make things more exciting.

There are hundreds of forms of racing these days, and I gotta say, as much as I used to like NASCAR, it's on the far bottom end now.
Old 8/7/12, 07:38 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Brian France is gonna kill NASCAR.
Old 8/7/12, 08:46 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The good news is that Penske is going to use a Ford.
Old 8/8/12, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Brian France is gonna kill NASCAR.
This^! If they could get rid of the corruption and pay-offs, maybe Ford and other makes could win! Between France and GM (and maybe Toyota) I don't know who has their nose up whose butts in their exclusive little club!
Old 8/12/12, 11:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

Stock Cars??? Really if they really want to be stock cars again, then do like the Gran AM and V8 Supercars. You dont have to run 200mph to have an exciting race. The cars are made safer yes because of the speeds they run and especially on those restrictor plate may-lays...

The last real car I can remember was the 84/88 T-Birds etc....

They have also neutered the drivers, dont bump or rub or nudge anyone because you will get punished and never ever talk bad bout NASCAR or they will fine and suspend your ash...
Old 8/12/12, 11:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

As much as I like all types of racing, non-ovals are just too boring for me. I just hate seeing races where somebody would qualify on the pole position, lead every lap and then win by the wide margin ...
Old 8/12/12, 11:57 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
As much as I like all types of racing, non-ovals are just too boring for me. I just hate seeing races where somebody would qualify on the pole position, lead every lap and then win by the wide margin ...
Maybe they should just cause wrecks every other lap like Nascar.

What you ignore are the races within a race because you only focus on the leader.