Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Roush starting to scale back

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/13, 08:26 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush starting to scale back

Roush starting to scale back: Having achieved nearly everything he'd wanted in his racing career, [Jack Roush] the 71-year-old captain of industry prefers to revel in others' success in the dusk of his NASCAR career. "There aren't so many firsts left for me, but I've not lost my passion for competition or my desire to operate at the top of my game," the founder of Roush Fenway Racing told USA TODAY Sports. "I just look forward to enjoying vicariously the success of drivers winning their first race or championship, and the crew chiefs and engineers able to share in those firsts. It's less about me and more about being a parent or a grandparent to them."
Once the Sprint Cup Series' quintessential hands-on team owner, Roush quietly is moving toward the sidelines. After a quarter-century of owning stock-car teams that have 314 wins in NASCAR and two championships in its premier series, Roush still works seven days a week but doesn't set his alarm for dawn anymore. He no longer spends 90 minutes before every race tinkering with each of his cars' carburetors, which have been excised from stock-car racing by electronic fuel injection. The mechanical wizard & has been marginalized somewhat by advances in technology. The survivor of two plane crashes has eased into a role he jokingly labels as public and human relations manager.
"I've gone from wanting to be the mechanic that I hoped everyone else would be to now I'm the point-and-grunt guy," Roush said with a laugh, "hopefully, I'll become less viable before I'm gone. The challenge is to give up the management and decision-making at the right time." Within the next five years, the plan is he won't attend every team meeting or race anymore, scaling back to spend more time with five grandchildren who range in age from 8 months to 12 years old.
"He's trying to empower the folks running the team on a daily basis," team president Steve Newmark said. "I suspect that is sometimes hard for him, but he's doing it of his own accord, which is great because you see a lot of patriarchs that hold on for too long and don't leave the company in a good state. He's focused very much on making sure the company continues regardless of the level of his involvement." So is there a clear plan for the enterprise once Roush steps away? "There's no written plan," Newmark said. "We'll welcome his leadership as long as we can get it."Read much more at USA Today.(7-11-2013)
Old 7/11/13, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

An amazing individual. All Ford fans must be grateful Jack took such an interest in Ford engines and kept Ford performance moving forward in the modern era. If Jack Roush would not have kept the Ford performance torch lit during the lean performance years at Ford, we would most likely not have Ford present in very many performance arenas.
Old 7/13/13, 12:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very Very under appreciated man.....
Old 11/21/13, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is missing at Roush these days. I'm not sure what it is but since the movement of Robbie Reiser from off the pit boxes and to the back office their cars have suffered. I don't think its him missing from the equation completely but I know when that announcement was made and the action completed things started on a downhill slide. Roush cars now struggle to stay in the top 10 often only able to muster a 12th or 15th in the field. I know Chevy is NASCARs darling and they favor them but we should be able to put up a better show than what currently is. Proof of this situation is the fact that Penske Racing has been running Fords for a single season and week in week out out-performed Roush cars handily. That shouldn't be happening.
Old 11/28/13, 12:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Something is missing at Roush these days. I'm not sure what it is but since the movement of Robbie Reiser from off the pit boxes and to the back office their cars have suffered. I don't think its him missing from the equation completely but I know when that announcement was made and the action completed things started on a downhill slide. Roush cars now struggle to stay in the top 10 often only able to muster a 12th or 15th in the field. I know Chevy is NASCARs darling and they favor them but we should be able to put up a better show than what currently is. Proof of this situation is the fact that Penske Racing has been running Fords for a single season and week in week out out-performed Roush cars handily. That shouldn't be happening.
I found it odd that Keselowski only won what, 1 race this year and didn't even make the chase, but last year he dominated. I know he switched teams and cars, but it shouldn't have made that drastic of a difference...
Old 12/6/13, 10:32 PM

i think he probably would have at least made the chase if Penske didn't receive that 25 point penalty earlier in the season but still would have had little chance at competing with Matt and Jimmie.
Old 12/7/13, 01:10 AM

on a slightly different subject, I would imagine that the NNS mustang will be unchanged until '15. is that a safe assumption?
Old 12/7/13, 01:44 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Anyone that thinks that Ford teams have a snowballs chance in hell of being competitive in NASCAR is smoking crack. The France family has had an incestuous relationship with GM for many years and with the Government bailout of GM and all of that Government money flowing into GM it will continue.

The France family these days is not concerned with racing at all, they are concerned with business and where the money comes from. Unless Ford is willing to pay them off with hundreds of millions of dollars, they are pissing in the wind.

NASCAR is nothing more that a reality show, if you aren't the Kardashians, you're ****ed, and GM is the Kardashians right now, they've got tons of our tax payer money to throw around and the France family is enamored with that ****. Toyota money is right there too. They will shape a race to fit who ever the biggest sponsor of it is. Its a pretty ****ed up situation.

There is some serious cheating/underhanded **** going on. If these cars are supposed to be so equal, how in the hell does a Chevrolet literally blow the doors off of the Ford cars, even when they are a lap down. Come by them like they are sitting still, 15-20 mph faster down the straight than a car that is supposed to be equal? And as soon as they get caught up, a caution comes out in the last few laps that keeps them up front.

Something really stinks.