Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PT back in an Indycar this weekend

Quote:
INDYCAR: Vision Racing Confirms Tracy for Edmonton
Written by: Robin Miller
07/15/2008 - 11:12 AM
Indianapolis, Ind.

It’s an unlikely pairing, the driver who coined the phrase “crapwagon” with the owner of the series whose cars earned that moniker.

But, in a good example of what positive things unification has brought to open wheel racing, Paul Tracy and Tony George will be a team for the IndyCar race at Edmonton on July 26.

As reported last Sunday night on SPEED REPORT, Tracy came to terms to drive a third Vision Racing entry for George – sponsored by Subway and prepared/maintained by Derrick Walker’s crew.

“It’s not a perfect scenario, but it is a good opportunity to make Paul and Walker Racing part of the 2008 season,” said George, the Indy Racing League founder who fields cars full-time for Ed Carpenter and A.J. Foyt IV. “Hopefully, this can grow into something more.”

Tracy, who called the IRL cars crapwagons in the late ’90s at the height of the CART/IRL war, joined George for the press conference Tuesday morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

“The last time I was here, I was told I had no Indy 500 trophy,” said the 2003 CART champion, referring to the protested finish of the 2002 race when Tracy was scored second behind Helio Castroneves despite video evidence that showed him in front when the caution light flashed on. “But that’s water under the bridge and I appreciate Tony putting this deal together. I think it shows he’s serious about wanting the best of both sides to compete.”

While this gives Tracy and Walker a shot for a potential partnership down the road, it also gives the only Canadian venue on this year’s IRL schedule a shot of drawing power with its country’s most successful and popular racer.

This project started several weeks ago, when Walker approached Tracy about driving at Edmonton with a car leased from George. When funding couldn’t be obtained, George got involved and started working on putting a deal together. With the help of Zak Brown’s Just Marketing company, Subway sandwiches came on board and Canada’s favorite racing son finally had a ride.

“It all came together in the last 60 hours,” said Tracy, who spent last weekend competing in the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England. “I flew back from England, hopped on a plane Monday morning and came to Indy for a seat fitting.”

The 39-year-old Toronto native has only competed once in ’08 at the Champ Car finale at Long Beach for Forsythe Racing. Abandoned by Gerry Forsythe, who refused to move his Champ Car team into the IRL following last winter’s amalgamation, the winningest active driver (31 victories) tested a NASCAR truck and watched IndyCar races on television.

“It’s been a frustrating year, for sure, but I think with Tony’s equipment and Derrick’s preparation we can be competitive,” continued Tracy, who had signed a five-year contract with Forsythe in 2006. “We want to be competitive, I don’t want to be just another car in a 27-car field. “I enjoy Edmonton because it’s a track that rewards you for being aggressive.”

Walker, whose plan to bring Will Power to the IRL was derailed when his Team
Australia partnership dissolved last winter, has kept his doors open by running Nigel Mansell’s sons (Greg and Leo) and Kevin LaCriox in the Atlantic series.

“I told Paul that the IRL train had left the station and we weren’t on it, so this gives us a chance to get on and I want to thank Tony,” said Walker. “Paul and I are old renegades and we’re also open-wheel guys.

“We were on the pole last year with Will, but this is a different car and I expect we’ll know early on where we are. We’re not going into this with any illusions because there’s a lot of competition we’ll only have a couple hours of practice. But Paul gets everything he can out of a car and we’ll give it our best shot.”

Originally, George had talked about running Tracy in three or four races and he said that option still exists (maybe Sonoma and an oval race at Chicago).

“We’d be open to continue,” said George. “But it depends on finances. Right now it’s just a one-race deal and we’ll go from there.”

PT qualified 16th, not exactly setting the world on fire, but well ahead of both of his teammates. Probably about as well as can be expected for his first time in a "crapwagon" in six years. He'll be starting right next to Danica, so the first corner might be "interesting."
Old 7/27/08, 05:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Very cool to watch him run, and great finish! Hope he's back full-time . . . SOON!!
Old 7/29/08, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're working hard to get a sponsorship package for the rest of the year. One more reason for me to talk myself into going to the Detroit GP, even though I've got my doubts about the Belle Isle track.