Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Marcos Ambrose back with Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/10, 06:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcos Ambrose back with Ford?

Ambrose & JTG Daugherty to split: After five successful years together in NASCAR's top touring divisions, JTG Daugherty Racing and Marcos Ambrose will part ways at the end of the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. "JTG Daugherty Racing and our sponsors are obviously huge Marcos Ambrose fans and we are disappointed to see him leave after five great years of building a program together from the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, to the Nationwide Series, and into the Sprint Cup Series," said Tad Geschickter, co-owner of JTG Daugherty Racing along with Brad Daugherty and Jodi Geschickter. "Marcos is a friend and he is a great talent. He will be an asset to his next team. While we hate to see him move on at the end of the season, we will remain focused on winning races with Marcos. We are excited about our company's development. We have NASCAR's greatest and most loyal sponsors, a growing fan base, and a steadily improving race team."
"We have enjoyed working with Marcos and getting to know his family and friends from both the United States and Australia," Jodi Geschickter added. "They have brought a lively dimension to our racing family and we have appreciated the opportunity to get to know them. Although we will miss Marcos, we have an amazing team at JTG Daugherty Racing and we look forward to announcing our plans for 2011." Daugherty echoes the Geschickter's sentiments and wishes Ambrose much success in his future endeavors.
"We are thankful for the opportunity to work with Marcos for the last five years and it has been an enjoyable experience," Daugherty said. "We wish him the utmost success and best wishes. JTG Daugherty Racing has a bright future and we already have great plans in place for the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season."
The two-time V8 Supercar champion's first appearance with JTG Daugherty Racing was at Martinsville Speedway in 2006 when he made his NASCAR debut in the Camping World Truck Series. Ambrose naturally progressed the next year to the NASCAR Nationwide Series spending two years in the division before competing full-time in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for the racing organization.
"It has been a great five year journey for me and JTG Daugherty Racing," Ambrose said. "I am proud of being their driver and of what we have been able to accomplish together. I want to personally thank Tad, Jodi and Brad and the entire race team for everything they have done. Our plan is to complete the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season with the same desire and commitment and end our relationship the same way it started with a positive attitude and the willingness to win. I will do everything I can to help JTG Daugherty transition into next year with their new driver. After five years, I personally felt it was time for a change. I have no firm plans of what will come next for me and my career. I would like to continue in NASCAR and finish off what I started, but I have not discounted returning to Australia. I'm grateful to JTG Daugherty Racing for giving me an opportunity to become a NASCAR driver and I wish them the best in the future." The Launceston, Tasmania Australia native has recorded four top-five and nine top-10 finishes with JTG Daugherty Racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and has also delivered two Nationwide Series victories. His career-best Cup finish is a second-place finish at Watkins Glen International last season. Currently Ambrose has two top-10 finishes and is 27th in the driver points standings after 20 starts this season. JTG Daugherty Racing will make an announcement in the near future regarding their driver for the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.(JTG Daugherty Racing)
AND Ambrose did not say where he will drive next season, but he's believed to be close to finalizing a deal with Richard Petty Motorsports.(ESPN/AP)(7-27-2010)
Old 7/28/10, 04:42 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
SWEET!!!!

I heard his contract was coming up this past weekend and wondered if he might be moving back to FMC.
Old 7/28/10, 05:19 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
10 things you didnt know about Marcos Ambrose

Since we're talking about Marcos . . .

www.nascar.com 20.7.10

Did you know Sprint Cup driver Marcos Ambrose likes baseball and American history and politics? We didn't, either, until we asked Ambrose to let us in on 10 things we don't know about him.

1. I come from Tasmania, a state that has no racing. I've never raced in my home state in any local series -- in a car, that is. Tasmania is a state of Australia, like Hawaii in the United States.

2. My childhood heroes were Ayrton Senna, from Formula 1, and Mick Doohan, a motorcycle rider from Australia. Doohan won about everything in 500cc Grand Prix. He was a dominant rider. He's a great guy, a living legend and a good athlete.

3. If I'm in the right spot, I'll drop a line and try to catch some trout. I fly fish -- badly. When I really want to catch some fish, I'll just use a spinner or a worm. I spend most of the day when I'm fly fishing getting myself untangled out of bushes.

4. I'm an alien -- a legal alien, that is. I've come in on a visa, and I have to get it renewed every 12 months.

5. My father used to race cars himself before I was born. He founded a race car manufacturing company in England that is still running today -- Van Diemen. That's actually the original name for Tasmania. It used to be called Van Diemen's Land, but they thought that was a nasty name, so they changed it to Tasmania.

6. I love baseball. My favorite team is the Braves. Peter Moylan, one of their closing pitchers, is a bit of a friend of mine, and I kind of follow him and cheer for him when he has a good night.

7. It was a real shock to switch from Ford to Toyota. My whole professional career I'd been driving Fords, and to some degree they were instrumental in helping me get across to NASCAR in the first place. So it was a big move for me to make, but at the same time, it was a very straightforward decision because I had to keep moving forward in my racing.

8. I've raced in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, England, Belgium, the Netherlands, America, Scotland, Canada and Mexico. There are probably more that I've forgotten about. But Juan Pablo Montoya would probably top me.

9. My first race on an oval -- ever -- was 2006 at Martinsville in a truck. I jumped into the wrong side of the truck before the race started, and that didn't help. I was used to driving on the other side of the car.

10. If I'm not watching the SPEED Channel, I like to watch C-SPAN. I like the history of America and how it was formed, the political system. I'm a bit of a throwback, I guess, with all that stuff.
Old 7/28/10, 07:30 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other teams interested in Ambrose? At least two rival team owners are taking a look at #47-Marcos Ambrose for 2011, if the always-smiling Aussie/Tasmanian racer decides to move on. Ambrose' 2009 rookie NASCAR season was so spectacular, with several near-wins. But he has struggled through the past few months, to put it mildly. And that lost victory at Sonoma last month was all the more biting.MikeMulhern.net)(7-26-2010)
UPDATE Ambrose to the #9?: Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that Marcos Ambrose will replace Kasey Kahne in the #9 Ford at Richard Petty Motorsports next season. Ambrose said he has no "Plan B" in place for 2011 and could even return to his native Australia if another Sprint Cup opportunity does not surface. Highly placed sources tell Sirius Speedway that a deal with RPM is "95% done," though there is no definitive word on who might sponsor the effort. Ford Racing Marketing Manager Tim Duerr declined to comment specifically on the report today, but said the automaker has longstanding ties with Ambrose. "Marcos started with Ford and Ford brought him to NASCAR," said Duerr. "He bleeds Ford blue, and we would love to see him back in a Ford next season. I don't think that Marcos has a signed Sprint Cup ride for next season at present. It all depends on him, a sponsor and a team putting something together, but I am optimistic that we will see Marcos back in a Ford next season." A spokesman for Richard Petty Motorsports declined to comment today, calling the report "speculation."(Sirius Speedway)(7-28-2010)
Old 7/28/10, 08:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OH!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! Pease! Thanks Zoran! You made my day!

Can you see it? Wait For it..... Number 9 Ford Fusion sponsored by.....Fosters!

Last edited by jacostang; 7/28/10 at 08:44 AM.