Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

The Lions Are Coming Back . . Peugeot to contest Petit Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/08, 06:51 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The Lions Are Coming Back . . Peugeot to contest Petit Le Mans

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69799

Peugeot have confirmed they will return to the United States with a pair of 908 HDi FAPs to compete in the Petit Le Mans race at Road Atlanta in early October.

The French manufacturer, who failed to win the Le Mans 24 Hours at their second attempt with a diesel-powered car, also went up against rivals Audi and Porsche in the Sebring 12 Hours at the start of the season.

And while the 908s have dominated proceedings in the European-based Le Mans Series (which continues this weekend at the Nurburgring), the team is determined to add a blue riband endurance race to their list of honours.
Old 8/20/08, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like LeMans, I think Audi's only hope is for the Pugs to have reliability issues. And, just like LeMans, I think they will. Should be a good race, though. I'd watch it, but looking at my schedule, I'll probably be running my own 12 hour endurance race to Topeka for the Runoffs that day.
Old 8/21/08, 05:07 AM
Post *****

Good luck in Topeka! Isn't this the last year for the Runoffs in Kansas?
Old 8/21/08, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

We'll just be spectating at the Runoffs this year. The crash at Mid-O pretty much put an end to our season. Next year the Runoffs will be at Elkhart Lake, which does not make me sad.
Old 8/22/08, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some interesting rumors:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-pruetts-thursday-mosport-blog-rumors-rumblings/

Petit Le Mans Rumors are Flying

Expect 40 or more car at Petit Le Mans on October. The event also has the potential to be the best sportscar race of 2008; Le Mans was an absolute classic with Audi outfoxing Peugeot but the other three categories were somewhat processional. PLM has the ingredients to provide thrilling battles in all four categories, thanks to the influx of European entries and a few returning ALMS teams.

Horag-Lista was hoping to make the trip but budget constraints have put and end to those plans. Peugeot was also expected to bring one of their 2009 challengers—the 909H (Hybrid), but the team confirmed to Racecar Engineering Magazine last Sunday that the 909H is still in need of further development before seeing the light of day. Aston Martin is reportedly deciding on whether to bring a GT1 car, the LMP1 car, or to skip the trip entirely. There's no need to take a poll to see if readers want the DBR9's to come and fight the Corvette's, but I'd rather see the P1 car at speed again. It's regularly the top non-diesel in the LMS and I'm confident it would show well against the likes of Audi, Peugeot, and the factory P2 cars at Petit.

The list of expected ALMS returnees:

Corsa Motorsports Zytek LMP1
LG Motorsports Corvette GT2
Krohn/Risi Ferrari GT2
van der Steur Racing Radical LMP1
ECO Racing Radical LMP1 (X2)

The list of confirmed LMS entrants:

Peugeot Sport LMP1 (X2)

The list of possible LMS entrants:

Kruse-Schiller Motorsports Mazda LMP2
Aston Martin/Charouz Racing Lola LMP1
Aston Martin Racing GT1
Creation+AIM LMP1
Barazi-Epsilon LMP2
I'd love to see the Astons come over, in both GT-1 and LMP-1. And don't forget that the BK Motorsports Lola coupe should also be making it's debut.
Old 8/23/08, 04:14 AM
Post *****

Very interesting!