Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Just glad the 2013 NASCAR season is over

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/13, 12:03 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
What is not to like about Pocono ? Pocono is a track where the drivers can get up to some real speed. I like Pocono.
Most tracks don't need 2 races, in my opinion.
Old 11/23/13, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
NASCAR should make an attendance requirement for tracks with 2 races. Sell 70% of your seats or lose your second race.

Fewer races would solve all the money problems. The money they currently are getting from sponsors would go further, wouldn't have to be begging for sponsorship money just to buy gas for the car hauler to get to the track for 36 weeks. Dial it back to 30 and see how everyone feels about that.

Last edited by codeman94; 11/23/13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11/23/13, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Old 11/23/13, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nascar, where do I begin.... First, you dont have to be going 200 mph to have a good enjoyable race. You dont have to have 500's all over the place. short tracks should have 2 heat races and a feature. Qualifying.... unpack your junk, 2 practices, qualify and park them, no touchy until the race begins... Limit the sets of tires, including in practice and we will see how good drivers really are.... Its broken.. Badly! Seats are empty and I have not watched an entire race this whole season. All these "Cookie Cutter" Tracks are boring!!!!! Put a Bus stop on the back stretch of all the Big "ovals" including Pocono...
Old 11/23/13, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
NASCAR should make an attendance requirement for tracks with 2 races. Sell 70% of your seats or lose your second race.

Fewer races would solve all the money problems. The money they currently are getting from sponsors would go further, wouldn't have to be begging for sponsorship money just to buy gas for the car hauler to get to the track for 36 weeks. Dial it back to 30 and see how everyone feels about that.
Fewer races would mean less money from sponsors so that simplistic model doesn't fix a thing.

The number of fully funded/single sponsor teams is in the minority. Even the most popular driver in the series had unsponsored races this past season. The number of X race deals for sponsors are very common.

As far as tracks with empty seats, that doesn't hurt the bottom line as much as people believe. The TV contract and sponsorship dollars drive the sport.

Last edited by PonyOx; 11/23/13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11/23/13, 06:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
You really think Pocono needs 2 races?
Yup. I like them both, and like them as 400's as well.
Mike B
Old 11/23/13, 07:00 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Skeet6

Yup. I like them both, and like them as 400's as well.
Mike B
So you're happy with the schedule "as is?"
Old 11/23/13, 07:51 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I watched not a single lap of any race the whole season. And I don't feel like I've missed a **** thing.
Old 11/23/13, 08:37 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I watched not a single lap of any race the whole season. And I don't feel like I've missed a **** thing.
Well let me fill you in! You missed ummm...well there was...then he did...then there was a...! I guess you're right you didn't miss anything! Oh JJ won again!!!
Old 11/24/13, 01:01 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
Basically you missed what should be renamed "The General Motors/Toyota racing series starring Jimmie Johnson!! Stay tuned for coverage of anything Jimmie Johnson does! If he farts, we'll be there to cover it and give a detailed analysis of the smell and what food it probably came from !!!! If he decides to take a **** we will be there with multiple cameras on his *****, to make sure we catch every angle of the urine flowing from it!!! Allen Bestwick who knows absolutely nothing about a car or racing, couldn't change his own oil or change a tire for that matter will be calling the play by play as Jimmie Johnson catches back up after multiple cautions for debris are thrown to benefit him. And don't worry race fans, our 23 cameras around the track as well as the Goodyear blimp cameras will be focused on the #48 five time champion Jimmie Johnson (because we are contractually obligated to say "5 time champion" anytime we mention Jimmie) during the whole race. Doesn't matter if hes running 35th, we'll be talking about him and the cameras will be on him, never mind that there is good racing going on up front.
Old 11/24/13, 06:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
So you're happy with the schedule "as is?"
Not really, I just really like the two races at Pocono. Maybe it's because I am a Pennsylvanian, (originally from NY), I have gone most years to at least one of them, it's a great track due to it's uniqueness, and it's (almost) always an exciting race... I DO prefer them to be 400 mile races, too.

TBH, I could do with out all of the cookie-cutter tracks and like stated above, this year was the GM/Toyota show, it was annoying and frustrating to watch. I'd like to see more road courses, and more short tracks, too.
Mike
Old 11/24/13, 07:09 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Skeet6

Not really, I just really like the two races at Pocono. Maybe it's because I am a Pennsylvanian, (originally from NY), I have gone most years to at least one of them, it's a great track due to it's uniqueness, and it's (almost) always an exciting race... I DO prefer them to be 400 mile races, too.

TBH, I could do with out all of the cookie-cutter tracks and like stated above, this year was the GM/Toyota show, it was annoying and frustrating to watch. I'd like to see more road courses, and more short tracks, too.
Mike
Gotcha! I am glad to see the drivers shifting again at Pocono. When they didn't some years back I thought it took something away from the race.
Old 11/24/13, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I have no complaints about the schedule. I would just like to see the Ford drivers have a better chance of running up front and win races. I would like to have a track closer to me. NASCAR should bring a Sprint Cup race to Newton , Iowa.
Old 11/24/13, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I have no complaints about the schedule. I would just like to see the Ford drivers have a better chance of running up front and win races. I would like to have a track closer to me. NASCAR should bring a Sprint Cup race to Newton , Iowa.

There are so many cool places to run. Like I said they dont need to run 200 mph to have an enjoyable race, maybe on the Super Speedways. There is no reason not to have a bus stop at Pocono. Some right turns would do some good!
Old 11/24/13, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Basically you missed what should be renamed "The General Motors/Toyota racing series starring Jimmie Johnson!! Stay tuned for coverage of anything Jimmie Johnson does! If he farts, we'll be there to cover it and give a detailed analysis of the smell and what food it probably came from !!!! If he decides to take a **** we will be there with multiple cameras on his *****, to make sure we catch every angle of the urine flowing from it!!! Allen Bestwick who knows absolutely nothing about a car or racing, couldn't change his own oil or change a tire for that matter will be calling the play by play as Jimmie Johnson catches back up after multiple cautions for debris are thrown to benefit him. And don't worry race fans, our 23 cameras around the track as well as the Goodyear blimp cameras will be focused on the #48 five time champion Jimmie Johnson (because we are contractually obligated to say "5 time champion" anytime we mention Jimmie) during the whole race. Doesn't matter if hes running 35th, we'll be talking about him and the cameras will be on him, never mind that there is good racing going on up front.
That's an incredible amount of butthurt in one paragraph.

Huzzah to you.
Old 11/25/13, 08:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyOx
Fewer races would mean less money from sponsors so that simplistic model doesn't fix a thing.
not true. it would indeed.

Very few (if any) cars have season long main sponsors. They sign deals for "x" number of races... so if there were fewer races, for example, Mtn Dew might be able to sign the whole 30 race year for Dale Jr, and Hendrick wouldn't have to ask National Guard for sponsorship for the other 6...

OR better Yet, Hendrick could pitch National guard to the Nationwide team, or one of the other Cup cars that still need partial season sponsorship.

With fewer expenses (races), the same money would go further for the teams.

Last edited by codeman94; 11/25/13 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11/25/13, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm happier to see the 2013 F1 season end. If you guys think it's painful to watch JJ win in NASCAR, that's nothing compared to what Sebastian Vettel is doing in F1. Qualifies first every race, leads every lap, wins every race. 10 wins in a row, 13 wins this year (out of 19 races), won the drivers championship halfway through the season, 4 world championships in a row, constant allegations of cheating/bending the rules etc.
Old 11/25/13, 11:51 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by mrp5150
I'm happier to see the 2013 F1 season end. If you guys think it's painful to watch JJ win in NASCAR, that's nothing compared to what Sebastian Vettel is doing in F1. Qualifies first every race, leads every lap, wins every race. 10 wins in a row, 13 wins this year (out of 19 races), won the drivers championship halfway through the season, 4 world championships in a row, constant allegations of cheating/bending the rules etc.

To be fair . . 9 races in a row, and he didn't clinch the Championship until India. I enjoyed this season, but am looking forward to 2014 . . . as long as the proposed technical regulations don't fudge up the nose section as is being reported.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 11/25/13 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11/25/13, 03:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
I find watching F1 very painful! Watch the first lap then skip to the last lap for final order!
Old 11/26/13, 01:02 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I find watching F1 very painful! Watch the first lap then skip to the last lap for final order!
There are so many great races within the race!

Quick Reply: Just glad the 2013 NASCAR season is over