Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Joey Logano to drive #22 Ford next year?

Old 8/9/12, 09:40 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joey Logano to drive #22 Ford next year?

Logano says he has two offers: #20-Joey Logano is mulling offers for two full-time Sprint Cup rides next year, including one to remain at Joe Gibbs Racing, and expects to make a decision soon. "I've got a couple of offers," the 22-year-old driver said on Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where he was promoting fall events. "I'm just trying to decipher what's the best for me. What's going to give me the most trophies and win the most races out of? I could be fairly close (to a decision). I could be a few weeks out. It all depends on the next couple of days, actually." Logano would not discuss the name of the other organization that has made an offer. The #22 at Penske Racing has been mentioned as a possibility since AJ Allmendinger was released following his suspension for failing a drug test. Penske Racing also might be considering adding a third team next year as it moves to Ford. Sam Hornish Jr. has been named Allmendinger's replacement for the foreseeable future. "There's only so many good teams out there," Logano said when asked directly about Penske Racing. He said he is not considering a part-time Cup ride. The Cup offer at Gibbs is dependent on finding sponsorship.(in part from ESPN)(8-9-2012)
Old 8/14/12, 09:12 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Penske hopes to name #22 driver by Chicago UPDATE Logano the favorite? Roger Penske hopes to name a driver for his #22 NASCAR Sprint Cup entry [will be Ford] for the 2013 season before the Chase for the Sprint Cup begins at Chicago on Sept. 16. "I've got five or six people that have contacted us," Penske said prior to the Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen on Sunday. "We're going to see how Sam (Hornish Jr.) does. We have a certain amount of loyalty to him. We're trying to assess where we're at." Penske says he's pleased with Hornish's progress in the #22 Dodge. Hornish replaced AJ Allmendinger on July 7 after Allmendinger tested positive for amphetamine. Hornish has posted two top-20 finishes in the Cup car. His best result was 16th at Indianapolis. Several free agents have been mentioned as candidates for the ride, including Joey Logano and Ryan Newman, who drove for Penske prior to joining Stewart-Haas Racing in 2009. As far Logano, who has been mentioned as a top candidate for the seat, Penske mentioned that the 22-year-old remains under contract to Joe Gibbs Racing.(FoxSports)(8-12-2012)
UPDATE: Joey Logano appears to be the leading candidate to replace AJ Allmendinger at Penske Racing next year, but team owner Roger Penske says he has made no decision yet. Penske has had a couple of weeks to talk to candidates for the ride, but said Sunday he has made no decision. Logano has driven the last four years for Joe Gibbs Racing but the organization has not been able to put sponsorship together to keep him in a Cup car for 2013. Gibbs is expected to announce soon that it has hired Matt Kenseth to replace Logano in the #20 car for next season. Team officials have said they would like to keep Logano but fielding a full-time Cup car for him would depend on finding sponsorship to start a fourth team.
Ryan Newman and Brian Vickers also have been mentioned as possible candidates for the ride, but Newman has said he is focused on staying with Stewart-Haas Racing and the team is working on sponsorship for next season.(Sporting News)(8-14-2012)
Old 8/16/12, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whatever happened to the drivers that were brand loyal?! Earnhardt seems to be the only current driver to stick to a brand. And of all things, it has to be brand X !
Old 8/16/12, 07:11 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Jeff Gordon too, Jimmie Johnson, I don't think either one of them would ever leave Chevy.
Same with Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards (although both of them considered switching Gibbs few years ago), I don't think they would ever leave Ford. And Matt Kenseth's move has been pretty shocking, I never expected that.
Old 8/25/12, 10:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Penske says Logao a candidate for the #22 ride: The owner of Penske Racing acknowledged on Saturday that Joey Logano is a candidate to drive the #22 in 2013. Roger Penske also didn't rule out expanding from two to three cars and including Sam Hornish Jr., who has been in the #22 since AJ Allmendinger was suspended and ultimately released for violating NASCAR's substance-abuse policy, in the mix for next season. Penske said he hoped to have a decision by the Sept. 16 Chase opener at Chicagoland. Sources close to the situation said Logano, who is in the final year of his contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, is the front-runner for the #22. Logano told ESPN.com recently he has two offers for 2013, and that one was from JGR. The issue at JGR is finding a full-time sponsor. "He's obviously a candidate, but there's other good people, too, that people haven't talked about," Penske said before the Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. "We have a couple of rabbits." Penske would not expand on other potential candidates. Penske didn't rule out that Alliance Truck Parts, which sponsors Hornish's Nationwide car, could move up to Cup in 2013.(ESPN)(8-25-2012)
Old 9/3/12, 12:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Penske still considering Hornish for #22 ride: NASCAR team owner Roger Penske said Sam Hornish Jr. will have a place in his driver lineup in 2013. But whether that is in Penske's much-discussed #22 car in Sprint Cup, in a third Cup car or in a Nationwide Series car has yet to be determined. "At the end of the day, no matter how we end up, Sam's going to have a ride with us in 2013," Penske told USA TODAY Sports before Sunday's Izod IndyCar Series race in downtown Baltimore. Sunday night's Advocare 500 will mark Hornish's eighth Cup race in the #22 since A.J. Allmendinger was removed (and subsequently fired) for a positive drug test. Hornish has produced a best Cup finish of fifth at Watkins Glen International while continuing his quest toward a Nationwide championship in Penske's No. 12 (he ranks third in the standings). "He's getting better and better. He's got a lot more confidence," Penske said. "I think he's getting more respect on the racetrack, which you need. He's done a great job, coming in like he has." Joey Logano has been rumored to be the leading candidate for the #22, and Penske has said he'd like to announce something before the Chase for the Sprint Cup opener Sept. 16 at Chicagoland Speedway. "We're close," he said Sunday.(USA Today)(9-3-2012)
Old 9/4/12, 10:24 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

UPDATE: Joey Logano, who has spent his entire NASCAR career with Joe Gibbs Racing and has six Nationwide wins and one in Sprint Cup this season, will move to Penske Racing to drive its #22 Ford in 2013. An official announcement of Logano's move to Penske could come as early as Tuesday as well, multiple sources confirmed. A request for comment from Penske Racing was not returned Monday.(Charlotte Observer)(9-4-2012)
Old 9/4/12, 03:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It's Official - Joe Logano signs with Penske Racing: Penske Racing announced that Joey Logano will join the team in 2013. He will drive the #22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Logano, 22, a two-time Sprint Cup Series winner who is currently competing in his fourth full season, will begin a multi-year agreement with Penske Racing. "I am very excited to join Penske Racing and begin the next phase of my career," said Logano. "I am looking forward to the opportunity as it will be an honor to drive for Roger Penske and race for wins and championships. I am also proud to represent Shell-Pennzoil as they are a respected global brand that does a great job of activating in the sport on and off the track."
"Joey Logano is a very talented driver who has already achieved a lot of success at a young age," said Tim Cindric, President of Penske Racing. "Joey is a great fit for our organization and we look forward to building on his success as he takes his place behind the wheel of the #22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford."
"We welcome Joey Logano to the Shell-Pennzoil team, and we know he will do a great job representing our brands and Penske Racing in 2013 and beyond," said Lisa Davis, president, Shell Lubricants Americas. "Joey is clearly a special talent on the race track, and we look forward to working with him off the track as well."
Logano will join Brad Keselowski, a three-time race winner and championship contender in 2012, and the #2 Miller Lite Ford team to form a potent combination for Penske Racing in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.(Penske Racing)
Old 9/6/12, 03:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

No plans to for Logano to move to the #22 before 2013: in part from a Penske Racing Media Teleconference featuring Joey Logano and Tim Cindric, one of the questions was about the possibility of Joey Logano moving to the #22 Penske Racing Dodge before the 2012 season ends, if Logano fails to make the Chase:
Q.) J.D. Gibbs said yesterday that he didn't think there would be (a chance) that Joey would get in the 22 car at all this year. I'm curious if Joey didn't make the Chase whether you would try to make that happen?
TIM CINDRIC: It's not something we've really even considered. I think I'd probably have to agree with J.D. It would be a pretty complicated situation. I think all of our sights are set on starting 2013 fresh in Daytona. Obviously we're making the move to Ford, so we have a lot of things that are going to be different in terms of 2013. We have a consistent group in Paul Wolfe and Brad. We can keep the consistency. Hopefully we're talking about a championship at that point in time, as well.(Penske Racing Media Conference)(9-6-2012)
Old 9/6/12, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

All this changing around is enough to make a guy dizzy! Kenseth to Toyota, Logano to Ford from Toyota, and Pensky changing from Dodge to Ford! WHAT'S NEXT?!?! WHO KNOWS WHAT EVIL LURKS IN THE HEARTS OF MAN. . . . THE SHADOW KNOWS. . . . . MMUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Old 9/6/12, 06:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Most likely nothing (at least nothing big), it's already too late in a season.
Old 9/10/12, 11:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

With Logano, Penske will not have to deal with any off track controversies. He will only have to focus on winning races. Life will be much easier for Penske.
Old 9/11/12, 02:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

So ... what happened with your boy David Ragan and "winning at least 2 races in 2012"?
Old 9/11/12, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
So ... what happened with your boy David Ragan and "winning at least 2 races in 2012"?
Oh yeah I remember that conversation. well he did exactly what most of us thought he would and wait yep even did it again at richmond.
Old 9/16/12, 12:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Penske willing to rehire Allmendinger: Roger Penske would consider re-hiring AJ Allmendinger, the suspended NASCAR driver who was at the IndyCar season finale as his guest. Allmendinger failed a NASCAR drug test in July and was released by Penske Racing when his backup "B" sample also tested positive. He's currently participating in NASCAR's "Road to Recovery" program, and Penske said Saturday he felt the driver has been too reclusive during the process. "I told AJ I wanted him to come to a race; I think he had been kind of undercover for quite a bit of the time, and I thought it would be good for him to get out and see people here, talk to some of the team owners," Penske said before the IndyCar finale at Auto Club Speedway. Penske said once Allmendinger's suspension is resolved with NASCAR, he's a viable option for owners in both NASCAR and IndyCar. Allmendinger spent three seasons in Champ Car, and won five races in 2006 before moving to NASCAR. "I think hopefully we'll get some answer from NASCAR as quickly as possible because the Chase has started now, hopefully they'll give him a clean bill of health and he can move on," Penske said. "This is a speed bump in his career, but he's certainly an option for people on the NASCAR side and the Indy side. He did a great job when you think about what he did in Champ Car." Asked if he'd hire Allmendinger again, Penske said: "He could be an option for us, for sure."(Associated Press/ESPN)(9-16-2012)