Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Have you seen the UGLY F1 cars this year?

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/14, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you seen the UGLY F1 cars this year?

Don't know what's going on in F1 that caused this, but these are some of the ugliest and most phallic noses I have ever seen on a race car...

Force India:

Caterham:

Williams:

Toro Rosso:

Ferrari:

McLaren:

Lotus (Asymmetrical Twin nose):

Steve Martin:
Old 1/28/14, 08:16 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Yup!! I like the Merc best so far . . .

Old 1/28/14, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Yup!! I like the Merc best so far . . .

Red Bull and Sauber also have nice looking cars, at least compared to the rest.

Do you think if the Force India and Lotus had a head on collision that 9 months later there would be a bunch of little F1 cars?

Last edited by Moustang; 1/28/14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 1/28/14, 08:30 AM
Post *****

Well . . . as many have mentioned . . . at least they don't all look the same!
Old 1/28/14, 08:34 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't understand the asymetrical nose on the Lotus. Most of the noses are just butt ugly, but that's what happens with regulation changes. The rules makers have an idea of what they want, draft up the rules, and the engineers and aerodynamicists come up with something different.
Old 1/28/14, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I don't understand the asymetrical nose on the Lotus.

My understanding is that the rules require a single nose tip. A symmetrical nose would be illegal, so they extended one side farther than the other to stay within the rules.
Old 1/28/14, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seriously doubt looks is a high priority. Performance is all that matters. Btw.....i think they look beautiful as usual. Can't wait to see how the new turbo 6 engine performs. Go Lewis!

Last edited by Tron; 1/28/14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 1/28/14, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tron
Btw.....i think they look beautiful as usual.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I'm just not seeing any.
Old 1/28/14, 09:41 AM
NTTAWWT

That one looks like someone put a dong on the nose of last years model.
Old 1/30/14, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I understand some of the aerodynamic restrictions were removed and the engineers were finally allowed to use their CAD and wind tunnels to their fullest. It looks ridiculous, but they'll work--and help with speed, grip and mileage.
Old 1/30/14, 08:24 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
That one looks like someone put a dong on the nose of last years model.

You said dong
Old 1/31/14, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

All of the cars look horrible and the V6 turbo engines sound pathetic. It's embarrassing that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and these new cars look the way they do. They're laughable. I literally can't take the Force India or Caterham cars seriously. F1 has some of the best engineers in the world and this is what they came up with? Sad.
Old 1/31/14, 04:41 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I understand some of the aerodynamic restrictions were removed and the engineers were finally allowed to use their CAD and wind tunnels to their fullest. It looks ridiculous, but they'll work--and help with speed, grip and mileage.
The new noses have more to do with safety as opposed to lifted restrictions. But as mentioned above, at least there seems to be a bit more diversity in designs this season.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 1/31/14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 1/31/14, 04:44 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by mrp5150
All of the cars look horrible and the V6 turbo engines sound pathetic. It's embarrassing that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and these new cars look the way they do. They're laughable. I literally can't take the Force India or Caterham cars seriously. F1 has some of the best engineers in the world and this is what they came up with? Sad.
While the designs leave a bit to be desired, I do like the sound of the V6s. It will be interesting to hear if the engine note for each manufacturer is as distinctive as the V10s of the past. The 8s sounded much more similar to my ears.
Old 2/2/14, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
While the designs leave a bit to be desired, I do like the sound of the V6s. It will be interesting to hear if the engine note for each manufacturer is as distinctive as the V10s of the past. The 8s sounded much more similar to my ears.
From the clips I've heard on YouTube so far, the engines do seem to sound different from each other. I do like that part about them, but I still think they sound horrible compared to the old V12's and V10's...even the V8's sounded much better. These new engines just don't scream like the old ones. It doesn't even seem like the drivers are pushing the cars to the limit anymore, even though they obviously are.
Old 2/2/14, 05:24 PM
NTTAWWT

It's not going to sound like they're winding them out, driving the motors at 110% because they arent. They have a limited number of engines for the year, and a limited amount of fuel to use for the race. Gone are the days when they'd weld the wastegate on the 80's turbo cars to get max boost all the time and a engine that'd last 2 laps.

I like where they're headed. The innovations in the cars today will be in cars before too long.
Old 2/2/14, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's not going to sound like they're winding them out, driving the motors at 110% because they arent. They have a limited number of engines for the year, and a limited amount of fuel to use for the race. Gone are the days when they'd weld the wastegate on the 80's turbo cars to get max boost all the time and a engine that'd last 2 laps.

That's an interesting way of saying "They're doing it as part of an eco-friendly initiative in F1", which is precisely the reason the FIA gave for doing it.

Sweeping new regulations will take effect in 2014 that will keep the speed that attracts so many to Formula One whilst lowering fuel use across the whole season by 40%. Specially devised fuel regulations will ensure the teams within F1 will be required to actively lower this amount over subsequent seasons.
Other notable changes will see:
  • Engine sizes reduced from 2.4 litres to 1.6 and limited to 15,000rpm,
  • KERS will be built into each engine to act as an additional power source by capturing the heat from the car’s exhausts and from their brakes. This device is known as the Thermal Energy Recovery System (TERS),
  • TERS will aid the car industry as future engines in cars can be downsized and energy efficiency will become more prevalent. This in turn will save on fuel consumption.

http://www.triplepundit.com/podium/f...l-initiatives/

It's about improving fuel mileage and reducing CO2.

I like where they're headed. The innovations in the cars today will be in cars before too long.

Old 2/2/14, 11:11 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
F1 cars have a different aura of beauty. Function is the key and they way i imagine the airflow being directed around and through everything is like a work of art. As for the egines im gonna miss the cool v10 sounds, but anyone remember when they used the big w12's and the H16?

Last edited by CCTking; 2/2/14 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2/5/14, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

I'm actually a fan of how the Ferrari turned out. Lol
Old 2/15/14, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this is what happens if you have an erection that lasts more than four hours. LOL!

Quick Reply: Have you seen the UGLY F1 cars this year?