Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Formula One returns to the United States

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/10, 12:32 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Formula One returns to the United States

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.
WOW!! Call me shocked!!
Old 5/25/10, 12:47 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give it 3 years. Sadly the US has not typically been a good stop attendance-wise. I do wonder how much Bernie is extorting from the local promoter/governments to bring the show in to town.
Old 5/25/10, 12:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got to see Long Beach one year. It was awesome! Sounded like a swarm of bees buzzing thru the buildings. I like F1 thru cities better than tracks.
Old 5/25/10, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Austin? I just may have to figure out a way to see that... Although I've not followed F1 since... well, I can't remember.

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I give it 3 years. Sadly the US has not typically been a good stop attendance-wise. I do wonder how much Bernie is extorting from the local promoter/governments to bring the show in to town.
Funny, I give it one, considering the year it starts...
Old 5/25/10, 01:30 PM
Post *****

The best track in the United States , in my opinion, is Road America. And that, (again, in my opinion) is where F1 should be held. (However, Road Atlanta would be another viable option even if the track is kind of short (2.54-mile)).

There are some city/street circuits that are great (Monte Carlo) and some that are not (St. Petersburg, FLA) with the majority "not" in my opinion. Seems like Austin is going to get a purposed built track . . . good luck with that in two years time!!

It is a shame Bernie never got to play himself on an episode of the Sopranos . . . . though as Chris mentioned above he plays an extortionist in real life!!
Old 5/25/10, 01:40 PM
Post *****

I'm thinking your avatar is Lotus colors... gotta bigger pic?

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/25/10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 5/25/10, 01:41 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I got to see Long Beach one year. It was awesome! Sounded like a swarm of bees buzzing thru the buildings. I like F1 thru cities better than tracks.
If you heard the farting bees then I'm guessing you went in the last year or two. Waay different sounds before that.
Old 5/25/10, 01:45 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
The best track in the United States , in my opinion, is Road America. And that, (again, in my opinion) is where F1 should be held.

It is a shame Bernie never got to play himself on an episode of the Sopranos . . . . though as Chris mentioned above he plays an extortionist in real life!!
Amen to RA!! Went to see the 2006 Champ Car race there. That was the year when Katherine Legge's rear wing broke. Man THAT was scary.

I think Max Mosely would have been better on the Soprano's. What a maroon, you can't make that s**ff up!
Old 5/25/10, 01:46 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by PTRocks
If you heard the farting bees then I'm guessing you went in the last year or two. Waay different sounds before that.
No it was 77 or 78. Mario Andretti in Lotus/John Player Special & Niki Lauda in Ferrari years. The high pitched rev of the engines when the cars were in a pack would echo and hide behind buildings. Back when they actually drove AND shifted!

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/25/10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 5/25/10, 01:48 PM
FR500 Member

No it was 77 or 78. Mario Andretti in Lotus/John Player Special & Niki Lauda in Ferrari years. The high pitched rev of the engines when the cars were in a pack would echo and hide behind buildings. Back when they actually drove AND shifted!
Ah yes, Long Beach while F1 was there. It's been so long I had forgotten. First race I went to was Montreal in 1978, the year Gilles Villeneuve won. The place went ballistic, good times.
Old 5/25/10, 01:53 PM
Post *****

I'm thinking your avatar is Lotus colors... gotta bigger pic?
Of the previous avatar, no. (I think that one was Dan Gurney.) But I do of the one now . . .

Old 5/25/10, 01:56 PM
Post *****

Saweeet! Thanx!!
Old 5/25/10, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

I like F1 thru cities better than tracks.
+10000000000000
Old 5/25/10, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll believe it when I see it, but this is looking more promising than the New Jersey and Monticello rumors. It'll be good to see them on a real road course instead of a Mickey Mouse roval or street parade.

PT: I was out at RA in '06. I was just about to cross the bridge to go over to the kink when I saw Legge's wing fly off. Didn't see the actual crash, though. The place got really quiet after that.
Old 5/25/10, 04:52 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by DanS.02GT
I'll believe it when I see it, but this is looking more promising than the New Jersey and Monticello rumors. It'll be good to see them on a real road course instead of a Mickey Mouse roval or street parade.

PT: I was out at RA in '06. I was just about to cross the bridge to go over to the kink when I saw Legge's wing fly off. Didn't see the actual crash, though. The place got really quiet after that.
Scary quiet. It was a loooong time before we found out that she was ok.
Old 5/25/10, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Guys, just to clarify, it appears there is an actual, dedicated, F1 spec track to be built in Austin area somewhere. It is not going through the city, and it's not going to be a revamped messed up track. Brand new track:

From this article (http://formulaone.blogs.nytimes.com/...-be-in-austin/):
What is more interesting is that Bernie Ecclestone is also announcing that there will be a “world-class facility purpose-built” to host the event. With all the futuristic Hermann Tilke monolithic tracks cropping up around the world — in Bahrain, China, Malaysia, etc. — this must mean something special.

In a statement, Ecclestone is quoted as saying: “It was 30 years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, N.Y. (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval.

“Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the U.S.”

Allegedly. Who knows what happens in 2 years, and time crunches and such. But I'm guessin' it'll happen.
Old 5/25/10, 06:47 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Guys, just to clarify, it appears there is an actual, dedicated, F1 spec track to be built in Austin area somewhere. It is not going through the city, and it's not going to be a revamped messed up track. Brand new track:

From this article (http://formulaone.blogs.nytimes.com/...-be-in-austin/):

Allegedly. Who knows what happens in 2 years, and time crunches and such. But I'm guessin' it'll happen.
Really, another Tilke track? Yawn.
Old 5/26/10, 07:20 AM
Post *****

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...king-for-site/

New US GP promoter Tavo Hellmund says that he does not yet have a site on which to construct the circuit, but he is looking at three possible locations in Austin.

Hellmund also says no land has been purchased, and a cynic might assume that the price for possible locations may have gone up in the last 24 hours, unless he is further down the road than he is letting on.

With the inaugural race likely to take place in a little over 24 months’ time in June 2012, as part of a double header with Canada, it would seem that time is of the essence.
This will be very, very close to get the race started in 2012. With no site and the possibility of (likelihood) permitting issues, infrastructure logistics, design issues, funding issues, and general construction issues I am hesitant to say a race will take place in 2012. However, at least construction can go year round which is a blessing!
Old 5/27/10, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

From Autoweek:
Veteran Formula One circuit designer Herrman Tilke will be responsible for the Austin F1 track, promoter Tavo Hellmund said on Wednesday night.

Hellmund also said the project is much further along than has been assumed.

“This has been long in the works,” he told AutoWeek. “Everything is in place.”

Although the former racer told local media on Tuesday that three possible venues were still under consideration, that suggestion apparently was a smokescreen.

While several alternatives were under consideration, Hellmund said one site was settled on some time ago and the land--more than 800 acres--has been purchased. Additionally, initial permissions for amenities such as water and waste, which are usually time-consuming affairs, have been granted.

Although Hellmund has yet to divulge details, he said that the site is to the east of Austin, a few miles from the airport, apparently in hilly countryside that has provided Tilke with a good starting point for a design.

The German architect is charged with creating a fast circuit with challenging corners that resemble those of classic, established tracks such as Silverstone and Spa-Francorchamps.

Tilke first sent a representative of his company to Austin about two years ago and allegedly has made many personal visits since. He is looking for office space in the city from which to base the project.

Hellmund was adamant that Austin is an ideal location.

“Other than New York or L.A., which already have 10 million people, where are you going to find a place that within a 150-mile radius you have three of the top-10 largest markets in the United States? That is the wonderful thing. Our position between Canada and the United States, North, South and Central America, is unbelievable.

“You take that into account, you take into account the draw that Austin is--it's the state capital, it's in the hill country, it's got a huge, huge vibe and tag of being the coolest place.”

As reported previously, the race is set to benefit from the Texas Major Events Trust Fund, which is intended to reimburse cities for costs they face when hosting big sporting events.

However, that relates only to specific events and does not have an impact on the cost of building the facility, budgeted at $200 million. The track project is financed by unknown private investors, Hellmund said.

One of the key elements that helped generate funding is that, aside from F1, the circuit will be used to help develop alternative fuels.

Hellmund said he has known F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone since he was a teenager. His father was involved in promoting Indy-car and Trans-Am races in Mexico City and also helped to bring F1 back to the country in 1988. Hellmund's father also was involved in the 1986 World Cup of soccer and in organizing music events.
Old 5/28/10, 03:59 AM
Post *****

Thanks Dan!

Quick Reply: Formula One returns to the United States