Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

F1 2013 Season (Spoilers Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/13, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew I didn't like Vetted, but I didn't have a real reason before this race. I like Webber and seeing Vettel throw a fit since he wasn't in front was ridiculous. I didn't hear the team radio correspondences until today, and didn't know that Vettel had been told and confirmed to hang back yet he pushed anyway knowing that Webber had followed orders. There was nothing to gain for the team. Webber had it in the bag. If he didn't he would have gone for it and kicked Vettel's butt.
Old 3/25/13, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Also, the exchange between Hamilton and Rosberg was interesting. Seeing the post race comments Lewis made, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull over for Rosberg in the same situation later on in the year. He knew he was slower, and it was almost as if he wasn't aware Nico was told to stay behind and felt bad about it.
Nico was told to hold position, which is reasonable. There is no gain if you race your own team to get the same points for the team and risk trying to pass your team mate if something goes wrong. Hamilton is in it to win, and I know if Rosberg went for a pass they would be racing through the finish line.
Old 4/3/13, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just getting back into F1 this year so I have a ton of reading to do. I do plan to catch the European race at the Nurbugring on July 7th this year. Tickets aren't too spendy. I will be driving the Mustang up there so there might be some Paparazzi just like pretty much everywhere else I go here in Germany.
Old 4/3/13, 01:41 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Hey Steve!

How's Germany?

This season will be great, and I can't wait to see what the teams do for the new regulations for next year.
Old 4/3/13, 01:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cntchds
seeing Vettel throw a fit since he wasn't in front was ridiculous.
Vettel's a *****. A fast *****, but still a *****. Acts like a child.
Old 4/13/13, 03:09 PM

I really did not like Q3 last night. What? 3.5 minutes of actual on-track times? Vettel didn't even set a lap time.

I am very happy to see Hamilton up front instead of Seb, and the next two Raikkonen and Alonso makes me pretty excited for the race.

I can't believe the luck, or lack thereof, of Mark Webber. Man, he's had it hard as of late. Running out of fuel on-track lead to him retire in Q2 then he was penalized since he did not have the full liter of fuel to test when the car was brought back. We'll see what he can do starting from the very back. Should be a good race for him, but it is very frustrating to see what's been going on for him lately.

I am not the first person to say this, but I'm sure most people agree: this tire situation is idiotic. 10 laps is the life on the optionals. Pathetic. I understand that the dynamics of tire choices being so varied allows for more strategy, but I want to see a race. I want to see guys going fast on track and not babying the car to make sure the tires last long enough.

For that reason alone, I think that this track will work to Kimi's advantage in the race tonight. The Lotus has been very soft on tires, so I think they will be able to go further on each set giving them a huge advantage at this track.

Tonight's going to be an awesome race. When the front runners have to pit after ~10 laps and drop back on to the track they will likely be hitting the middle of the pack if the others start on the primes. Should make for an awesome run for everyone as a lot of the teams who aren't usually close get to mix it up together. I'm stoked.

I know that Primes have to be used for at least 40% of the race, but is that true for optionals too? If I were on the grid today, I'd rather take the slower tire all day and go for distance instead of out-and-out speed if it means I need to take a 30 second pit.

Riccardo getting 7th on the grid and 5th in Q2 was pretty awesome. I'm excited to see him qualifying so well.
Old 4/13/13, 04:27 PM
NTTAWWT

I actually like that the tires degrade so fast, gives much more strategy opportunities, and it makes the drivers have to look after the tires instead of going ***** to the wall on the softs.

I'm pretty sure I heard this will be Mark Webber's last year in F1, and that he's going to race with Porsche's next year at the World Endurance Championships. I say good for him, he's too good of a driver to be treated like he is at Red Bull.

I never knew anything about the 40% rule, just that under dry conditions teams had to use both tires.
Old 4/13/13, 04:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never knew anything about the 40% rule, just that under dry conditions teams had to use both tires.
Same here - I just thought they had to use both at least once.
Old 4/13/13, 07:48 PM

You guys could well be right. I don't know where I heard that, but looks like you both were right on with what www.formula1.com

Unless wet tyres have been used, drivers must use both dry tyre compounds during a race and failure to do so will see them excluded from the results. Or if the race is suspended and can't be restarted, 30 seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of any driver who hasn't used both compounds.
Old 4/14/13, 12:25 AM
NTTAWWT

hmmm, maybe there's more to the rule, but that above says 30 seconds added if you don't use both. Sounds like it's better to use just one. It takes longer than 30 seconds to go down pit lane and swap tires.

So if a team gets in a bind, just stay out. Instead of losing 45-50 seconds going for a pitstop, just stay out and lose only 30? hmmmmmmmm....

edit: it says "race suspended" but why would any race be suspended without it being wet?

Last edited by StangMahn; 4/14/13 at 12:26 AM.
Old 4/14/13, 01:34 AM
NTTAWWT

Poor Webber can't get a **** break!
Old 4/14/13, 02:43 AM
NTTAWWT

Not gonna say anything but: Holy cow what an incredible finish! Outstanding!
Old 4/14/13, 06:39 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
hmmm, maybe there's more to the rule, but that above says 30 seconds added if you don't use both. Sounds like it's better to use just one. It takes longer than 30 seconds to go down pit lane and swap tires.

So if a team gets in a bind, just stay out. Instead of losing 45-50 seconds going for a pitstop, just stay out and lose only 30? hmmmmmmmm....

edit: it says "race suspended" but why would any race be suspended without it being wet?
Most pit stop times (In-Stop-Out) are under 30 seconds. I think today's delta was ~19-20 seconds . . .
Old 4/14/13, 10:29 AM
NTTAWWT

yeah, apparently. I swear it seems longer than 20 seconds though.
Old 4/14/13, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Years ago F1 drivers were gentlemen - in it to win but still sportsmen. These days too many are jerks. Vettel certainly showed that and, while many of you seem to like Alonso, I got really fed up with him and his attitude when he and Hamilton were team mates. I was delighted to see Hamilton keep Vettel off the podium in China.
Old 4/14/13, 10:50 AM
NTTAWWT

I was so happy he kept Vettel behind. I'm at the point where I pretty much hate Vettel. I've never rooted so hard for a 3rd place result in my life, especially since it seemed certain he'd catch Lewis.
Old 4/14/13, 11:38 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
Years ago F1 drivers were gentlemen - in it to win but still sportsmen. These days too many are jerks. Vettel certainly showed that and, while many of you seem to like Alonso, I got really fed up with him and his attitude when he and Hamilton were team mates. I was delighted to see Hamilton keep Vettel off the podium in China.
A very long time ago, i.e., before Senna and Michael.

People also seem quicker to judge young drivers nowadays. I think Fernando has matured quite a bit over the years . . . as most of us have (or should).
Old 4/15/13, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tukatz
Even if the two aren't the best of pals, in interviews both of them consistently praise the other as a great driver. I don't expect everyone to be chums like Webber and Button seem to be, but the respect Hamilton and Alonso have shown through what I've seen has been admirable.

I want to say that when they were team mates it seemed (to me) like Alonso expected preferential treatment in deciding the equipment they would use which is not uncharacteristic for a more experienced driver. I'm sure he was also just as surprised as everyone else that Hamilton was putting him through his paces.

Edit: from today: http://m.guardiannews.com/sport/2013...lewis-hamilton

Last edited by cntchds; 4/15/13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 4/16/13, 11:00 AM

Saw this commercial pop up on Reddit today from the 2007 season at McLaren. Thought it was fitting for the discussion here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt7vD6_tblw
Old 4/16/13, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangit, can't believe i am just now catching this thread! Huge F1 fan here! This season has been incredible so far! Go Lewis and Kimi!

Quick Reply: F1 2013 Season (Spoilers Inside)