Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 09:17 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Saleen makes no more stangs

Figures..best looking aftermarket stang and they bail
http://jalopnik.com/#!5779840/saleen...ang-production

Lets hope they at least keep making the body panels so people can fix thier stangs.

Last edited by burningman; 3/8/11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
****, I was pulling for them. Best looking aftermarket stangs for sure and good parts.
Old 3/8/11, 09:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does say they will keep making parts though.

The Saleen Speedstars in black chrome are now my favorite wheel on a 2010+
Old 3/8/11, 09:36 PM

I had a 2001 s281 Stage 2 SC... #802

heres to some good memories...

Old 3/8/11, 10:22 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

There seems to be a little more to the story than what Jalopnik has revealed. Apparently, the "Saleen" brand is so tarnished due to Steve's lawsuits, warranty claim issues, etc, that Saleen Performance Vehicles (not Steve's company, SMS) has decided it's better to go forward with a different name, devoid of the baggage the Saleen moniker / brand carries with it.

This is a statement from Jess Allbright, Saleen Performance Vehicles:

Guys,

Sorry this took me so long to jump in on, I just flew back into town from the race in Florida yesterday afternoon and I had to drive to Mid-Ohio today for my aunt's funeral. I usually like to nip this stuff right when it starts to not let it get this far off. Let me just say quickly this wasn't an easy decision made by any one person. It doesn't mean the end of the company, nor does it imply any kind of financial troubles. As you may have seen lately we have stepped up our marketing and racing presence and that will NOT stop. We are moving forward in big ways, and while some may look at this as a step back stop and think about it for a minute. How many arguments have there been in public forums about how the name is getting trashed whether by us making cars with the name, or by lawsuits against us and accusations of not having the rights to use the name. This announcement has no reflection of any court proceeding outcome whatsoever. Read the letter we posted later to our customers and fans. Through our conversations with FORD MOTOR COMPANY we decided that all this negative chatter has overshadowed an otherwise great product and company not causing any good for either. I really hope the negative comments can come to an end and everyone can just wait and see what the future holds!! You may be pleasantly surprised, who knows. Just rest assured that the company is here and is working everyday at increasing customer support both by adding new products to our catalog as well as working on older parts that have been otherwise unavailable in recent years. If anyone has problems with anything continue to contact myself, Dave Rivard, Tony Fodera, or anyone else within the company. We will be more than happy to help you out with any issue you have.

Thank you
Jess

Last edited by MARZ; 3/9/11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 3/8/11, 10:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

So they live! Sweet!

Thanks Marz
Old 3/8/11, 10:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info! Still sad that it's "the end" for the Saleen name on vehicles. Although some would say that it already ended when Steve left. But now it's official.
Old 3/9/11, 09:29 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

If they keep making stangs under a new name it's all good as long as they keep the stangs looking good and not going back to the gills and vents look of the past.

Last edited by burningman; 3/9/11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 3/9/11, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Somehow I'm not surprised. Saleen (the company) just hasn't been the same since Saleen (the man) left, and that dust up a couple years back about not honoring warranties certainly didn't help either.
Old 3/9/11, 12:44 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
Lets hope they at least keep making the body panels so people can fix thier stangs.
Heard that!

What a marketing disaster with Saleen.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/10/11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 3/9/11, 04:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too bad...
Old 3/9/11, 06:24 PM
Cobra R Member

AS others have stated I don't think Saleen has been the same since Steve left. To be honest I think part of the problem is also that Ford is giving such a great product to begin with and with so many other tuners out there I think the market may have gotten a bit flooded with tuners.

Can Saleen come close to price/performance of the new Boss 302? I doubt it, I'm actually not too sad about it though Saleen had a great past in recent years I have seen them as cool but overpriced tuners in recent model years.
Old 3/9/11, 11:09 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Personally if Saleens 2011 mustang are any indications the best thing to happen to them was Steve leaving. At least from a design standpoint. Cause just look at that monstrosity SMS is making.
Old 3/9/11, 11:57 PM
MOTM Committee Member

so this will never be produced?
Old 3/10/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

so this will never be produced?
Probably not. It looks like a knock off of the HSV-010 (the stillborn Honda/Acura NSX successor).
Old 3/10/11, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so Saleen is going away but will still make parts for the cars. Sounds like it's doing the exact same thing just not putting the parts on the car for you. To me I don't jump on the band waggon of the "How many Mustangs are there?" There are 3, made by Ford. Anything else is from a Tuner. There are like 20 Porsche 911's now. All offered from Porsche, throw in RUF and good Christ. But I won't because RUF is a tuner. Anyway, just my little rant.

Hope all goes ok with Saleen, I am not their biggest fan and I am not a fan of SMS at all.
Old 3/10/11, 06:22 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
Probably not. It looks like a knock off of the HSV-010 (the stillborn Honda/Acura NSX successor).
How dare you!!

Ok, they do look similar. But the S5S Raptor actually looks good IMO. It had some crazy stats too:

S/C 5.0
650hp/630tq
0-60 3.2s

It would have been my favorite current super car hands down
Old 3/12/11, 06:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
I guess I see some similarity; the Raptor, in my opinion, though, is one sexy American supercar; Honda's offering looks like it has a big, dumb, smiling face, akin to Mazda's current styling efforts. If anything, though, Honda ripped Saleen off (assuming I'm referring to the same HSV-010 as you), as the Raptor was unveiled back in early 2008.

Old 3/13/11, 08:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 3/14/11, 12:49 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
I guess I see some similarity; the Raptor, in my opinion, though, is one sexy American supercar; Honda's offering looks like it has a big, dumb, smiling face, akin to Mazda's current styling efforts. If anything, though, Honda ripped Saleen off (assuming I'm referring to the same HSV-010 as you), as the Raptor was unveiled back in early 2008.

Agreed x1000 MARZ!

And as much as I like the 458 Italia, Mclaren mp4-12c, and the aventador this would still get my money if i ever win the lotto

Any idea where it is now?

Quick Reply: Saleen makes no more stangs