Notices
'10-14 Roush Mustangs

License Plate Mount for Roush Bar Style Lower Grille

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/13, 11:15 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
License Plate Mount for Roush Bar Style Lower Grille

Looking for a solution for mounting a license plate without having to punch holes in the bumper when you have the bar style lower grille. Liked the look of Craig's Mustang License Plate Mounts, but he said that he did not have a version that would fit a Roush when the lower grille has a bar style insert added. Anyone found a solution that will keep me from drilling my bumper? I really don't want a front, plate, but since Johnny Law says I have to, I would like to avoid drilling holes that will show.
Attached Images  
Old 10/23/13, 12:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I have the stock grills on mine but didn't want holes in my bumper either. Here is my solution. Don't know if it will work for you.

I 'folded' over the top and bottom edges of my plate (double fold) so that the entire plate number and state name are visible. I used some aluminum strap from Lowes and bolts and washers and nuts as shown. The whole works is bolted in so it won't go anywhere. It has not caused any cooling problems.

The long bolts go through openings in the lower grill and through another piece of the aluminum strap and are secured with lock washers and nuts.

The part of the plate that is still visible is the same part you would be able to see with a typical dealer license plate frame installed.

Last edited by tukatz; 10/23/13 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10/23/13, 05:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Installed a kit on my 2014 Shelby from:
www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com
After backing out of my driveway, found the front plate scraped. Was able to fix it by shortening the 2 front spacers to 1 ". ( as supplied 1 5/8" )
You can't see the mounting bracket under the front splitter.

This bracket doesn't seem as flimsy as the manual folding type.
The motorized folding ones seem to have lots of issues.
Suggest you call & make sure he has one for your application.....good luck.
Old 10/23/13, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craig's custom mustang brackets are great.

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/
Old 10/23/13, 03:05 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
Craig's custom mustang brackets are great.
http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/
^^THIS!!
I have one for my Roush Stage 3.
Old 10/23/13, 07:16 PM

Thanks, Great input from all of you so far.

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi
Installed a kit on my 2014 Shelby from:
After backing out of my driveway, found the front plate scraped. Was able to fix it by shortening the 2 front spacers to 1 ". ( as supplied 1 5/8" )
You can't see the mounting bracket under the front splitter.
This bracket doesn't seem as flimsy as the manual folding type.
The motorized folding ones seem to have lots of issues.
Suggest you call & make sure he has one for your application.....good luck.
1_Alibi, like the Sto and Go, but concerned it might be a little low to the ground. State requires the plate to be at least 12 inches off the road. I only have about 6.5 to 7 inches of clearance to my splitter, so kinda on the edge. Figure with this kinda car might get a hard a** cop that would not let it fly. But it would be nice to be able to do a quick pull of the plate when showing! How close to the road is yours?

Originally Posted by Stage_3
^^THIS!!
I have one for my Roush Stage 3.
So Stage_3, on your Roush Stage 3 do you have the high flow lower grille or the lower bar style billet grille? Was just about to pull the trigger on Craigs mount, but was informed by Craig that I will likely have mounting problems with my lower billet grille. He can handle most any other type, but this one does not work so well. He was willing to make a special one but warned the plate would be lower and it was possible it may not work at all. Let me know what you did to make this work? What does yours look like?

Just trying to find the best solution, just get one shot. Trying to keep the air flow, looks, and make the man happy. Might just leave it off and see what happens...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/12/14 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10/23/13, 07:24 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
So Stage_3, on your Roush Stage 3 do you have the high flow lower grille or the lower bar style billet grille? Was jsut about to pull the trigger on Craigs mount, but was informed by Craig that I will likely have mounting problems with my lower billet grille. He can handle most any other type, but this one does not work so well. He was willing to make a special one but warned the plate would be lower and it was possible it may not work at all. Let me know what you did to make this work? What does yours look like?
Just trying to find the best solution, just get one shot. Trying to keep the air flow, looks, and make the man happy. Might just leave it off and see what happens...
If you have a lift or jack stands, that would work so much easier, but really not necessary at all. I did mine in the garage. Took about 10 minutes or less to mount.
And,......we are required by law to have a front plate on in MA, but I only put the plate on when I go for the yearly inspection. Otherwise, they will not even give you the time of day.
Good luck. Let me know if I can help any further.
Old 10/24/13, 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
[QUOTE=shaneyusa;6704890]Thanks, Great input from all of you so far.

1_Alibi, like the Sto and Go, but concerned it might be a little low to the ground. State requires the plate to be at least 12 inches off the road. I only have about 6.5 to 7 inches of clearance to my splitter, so kinda on the edge. Figure with this kinda car might get a hard a** cop that would not let it fly. But it would be nice to be able to do a quick pull of the plate when showing! How close to the road is yours?
The bottom of the plate is 6" off the ground.
In N.J., the plate is supposed to be mounted in the center of the bumper, which I did on my 2011. ( hope to fix it this winter )
On the 14, I decided to take a chance, figured a low plate is better than nothing..................& there are a lot of cars running around here with no plate.
........................You could take a chance.....good luck.
Old 10/24/13, 02:55 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi
& there are a lot of cars running around here with no plate.........................You could take a chance.....good luck.
That's exactly what I do on both my Roush and my daily driver. ANd I drive my daily driver almost everyday.
Just make sure you have them mounted for when you have your annual inspection sticker.
Old 10/27/13, 05:33 PM

Well decided my best option for me is the STO N SHO. Got it ordered today and we will see if it is good enough. I really like being able to quickly take the plate off.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10/27/13, 05:52 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Well decided my best option for me is the STO N SHO. Got it ordered today and we will see if it is good enough. I really like being able to quickly take the plate off.
Thanks for the info!
Awesome.
Good luck!
Old 11/22/13, 09:41 PM

Got it installed a week ago. Don't have pics yet, but looks like marketing photos on site.

Found the instructions were a little lacking. Especially the last step to install the third bolt and nut. Instructions suggest going through the grille to place nut on third bolt. Won't work with Roush lower billet grille in place. Best way to finish for me was to remove all 6 of the screws behind the lower splitter. Pulled down the plastic air enclosure and reached inside to place nut on third support bolt. Other than that instructions were accurate.

Great product met expectations. I like the look. Good fit and easy to install even without a lift.
Old 12/25/13, 02:57 PM

Merry Christmas! Here is a shot after the install... One with the plate off and one with it on.
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Mount for Roush Bar Style Lower Grille-img_2522s.jpg   License Plate Mount for Roush Bar Style Lower Grille-img_2524s.jpg  
Old 12/25/13, 03:48 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Merry Christmas! Here is a shot after the install... One with the plate off and one with it on.
Car looks great.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12/25/13, 05:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not a Roush, but this is what I do...

Old 12/25/13, 06:13 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by denlem
Not a Roush, but this is what I do...
That is pretty cool.
How is the install on that? How much and what brand?
Old 12/25/13, 06:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That is pretty cool.
How is the install on that? How much and what brand?
Install is easy, but easier with two people since one needs to be under lining it up and one in front to hold/view. Only two screws needed, wires run up through an existing hole underneath. Actually gotta run them down since they are attached to the transmitter module that attaches in the engine bay.

Sits really low though. Motor needs to be stronger since it struggles at times. Gotta run with it up in the rain. I went through a puddle once and the force of the water bent and destroyed one. $130 at American Muscle.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdo...motorized.html
Old 12/26/13, 02:52 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by denlem
Install is easy, but easier with two people since one needs to be under lining it up and one in front to hold/view. Only two screws needed, wires run up through an existing hole underneath. Actually gotta run them down since they are attached to the transmitter module that attaches in the engine bay.
Sits really low though. Motor needs to be stronger since it struggles at times. Gotta run with it up in the rain. I went through a puddle once and the force of the water bent and destroyed one. $130 at American Muscle.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdo...motorized.html
Very cool. Thanks Dennis.
Old 12/26/13, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a similar thing but a manual plate.

Old 12/26/13, 06:50 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Scrape
I did a similar thing but a manual plate.
Nice car. Fastest color.
You have the full glass roof? What suspension mods?

Quick Reply: License Plate Mount for Roush Bar Style Lower Grille