The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Shelby Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/)
-   -   Shelby to stick around (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/shelby-stick-around-507513/)

Fenderaddict2 4/10/12 11:10 AM

Shelby to stick around

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...mustang-report

Shelby American president John Luft told Mustangs Daily that the company's relationship with Ford would continue through 2015 and beyond thanks to a recent contract extension.

bpmurr 4/10/12 11:12 AM

So much for the 2013-2014 GT500 being the last of them. There goes that dealer excuse for ADMs!

Twin Turbo 4/10/12 11:14 AM

:)

https://themustangsource.com/f806/wi...-gt500-507457/

2 Go Snake 4/10/12 12:32 PM

The Shelby GT500 has become as iconic as the Mustang itself. If the Shelby GT500 disappeared, there would be a big void in the Mustang lineup. Good to hear Ford will stay aligned with Shelby. FTW.

Flagstang 4/10/12 12:54 PM

ford should drop the old mans name already. Its a sticker that doesnt add hp.

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 01:07 PM

+1 SVT is perfectly capable of making great cars without adding $10000 stickers and decals

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
+1 SVT is perfectly capable of making great cars without adding $10000 stickers and decals

:rofl2:
I always think its funny when you guys think the price is going to go down if they take his name off of it. :hilarious: ...and it says Shelby in TWO spots

Twin Turbo 4/10/12 01:16 PM

http://thmg.photobucket.com/albums/v..._DeadHorse.gif

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 01:17 PM

Ouch, he's not dead yet.

Twin Turbo 4/10/12 01:24 PM

LOL....no, he's not. Although I understand he's not been well recently, and missed some of the 50th Anniversary events :(

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
LOL....no, he's not. Although I understand he's not been well recently, and missed some of the 50th Anniversary events :(

I hope he doesn't die before he signs my vehicle plate I ordered last sept. Is that wrong of me?

Twin Turbo 4/10/12 01:31 PM

Only a little bit wrong :D

Flagstang 4/10/12 01:36 PM

the 04 svt cobra was truly a different car then the normal mustang. The current gt500 is a mustang with parts on it.

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
the 04 svt cobra was truly a different car then the normal mustang. The current gt500 is a mustang with parts on it.

Sometimes I think Adrian believes some of the stuff he says. :p

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 01:47 PM

I realize that $10000 is an over exaggeration but I do believe that is part of the reason for some of the mark up. Ford pays him royalties and using Shelby parts will cost for more than motorcraft parts

kylerohde 4/10/12 01:51 PM

Agreed - having Shelby attached when he really has no involvement in the thing is silly. SVT Cobra was a better way to differentiate and SVT should be more involved again. But unless they start doing a SVT Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, etc., there isn't much future for SVT making only the GT-500 and Raptor.

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 01:58 PM

I realize that $10000 is an over exaggeration but I do believe that is part of the reason for some of the mark up. Ford pays him royalties and using Shelby parts will cost for more than motorcraft parts

They don't use any Shelby parts now.

speednutz 4/10/12 02:19 PM

Looks like the next Gen is coming next year.
If a person bought a 13 Shelby GT500 you would have the only year this model was in production.
So, if a person lived to be 110 minus 10 or so, the car would be worth some extra coinage as a collector.

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

They don't use any Shelby parts now.

Fair enough, I'm not in a place to do research right now and I can't disprove what you've said, but either way, if nothing else he is still getting royalties

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 02:28 PM

Fair enough, I'm not in a place to do research right now and I can't disprove what you've said, but either way, if nothing else he is still getting royalties

I wouldn't lie to you. :D and those royalties would just turn into profit for Ford.

AlsCobra 4/10/12 02:33 PM

I wonder if they would lose sales if it didn't say Shelby. They probably would.

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I wonder if they would lose sales if it didn't say Shelby. They probably would.

Too be honest I didn't buy it because it said Shelby on it. I bought it because it said GT500 on it.

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 02:55 PM

Too be honest I didn't buy it because it said Shelby on it. I bought it because it said GT500 on it.

Maybe they should just call it the mustang GT500 and drop the Shelby part. You are probably like many people that are more impressed with GT500 over Shelby

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 02:58 PM

Maybe they should just call it the mustang GT500 and drop the Shelby part. You are probably like many people that are more impressed with GT500 over Shelby

I still appreciate Shelby.

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 03:02 PM

I still appreciate Shelby.

As do I, but there's no need to keep using his name and giving him more money if we could have a similarly awesome car for less. The guy is already richer than god lol

AlsCobra 4/10/12 03:03 PM

I don't care what it says. 5.4SC would be the seller.

11SHELBYGT500 4/10/12 03:03 PM

As do I, but there's no need to keep using his name and giving him more money if we could have a similarly awesome car for less. The guy is already richer than god lol

He's not going to be here much longer, can't you wait?

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 03:11 PM

He's not going to be here much longer, can't you wait?

Lmao apparently not

kcoTiger 4/10/12 03:11 PM

I don't get people being butt-hurt over his name being on the car. what difference does it make? Like joe I'm buying the car because of what it is, not someone's name on it. Just not sure where the hurt feelings come from. Any halo car will be priced out of most people's reach whether it has Shelby or SVT or Chanel No. 5 written on it. Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if Carroll had more influence in the design than most think.

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I don't get people being butt-hurt over his name being on the car. what difference does it make? Like joe I'm buying the car because of what it is, not someone's name on it. Just not sure where the hurt feelings come from. Any halo car will be priced out of most people's reach whether it has Shelby or SVT or Chanel No. 5 written on it. Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if Carroll had more influence in the design than most think.

Hmm, not sure who's butthurt. Just don't think his name is necessary

grabberblue 5.0 4/10/12 03:13 PM

Sounds more to me like someone is getting defensive for Carroll Shelby himself than anything

kcoTiger 4/10/12 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6310674)
Sounds more to me like someone is getting defensive for Carroll Shelby himself than anything

Not really. :)

1 COBRA 4/10/12 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr (Post 6310368)
So much for the 2013-2014 GT500 being the last of them. There goes that dealer excuse for ADMs!

I will wait for the next gen then there should be some good deals for the current gen.

"... Even the next-gen GT500 is likely to get a dose of the green hose, to be sure, but it will still be here, as an ultra-high-performance version of the latest iteration of America's pony car..."
There is a good possibility the above observation might be correct.

stupidgenius36 4/10/12 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake (Post 6310476)
The Shelby GT500 has become as iconic as the Mustang itself. If the Shelby GT500 disappeared, there would be a big void in the Mustang lineup. Good to hear Ford will stay aligned with Shelby. FTW.

Not even close. And just because the Shelby name disappears, doesn't mean the car does to. There would be something better to take it's place...

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6310669)

I don't care to have his name on the car, but I don't/won't own one anyway. Shelby as a company might as well be a scam...Sellin' people ****, and callin' it gold. As for Shelby the man...He doesn't know his head from his *** anymore, and you think they're gonna let him design *any* aspect of the car? Even after he dies, I bet they still use his name (people will just call it a "tribute" :rolleyes:)...Cuz it will be, just like it is now, a marketing gimmick and nothing more.

speedrx 4/10/12 07:24 PM

Ford and Shelby have both been very successful with their ongoing relationship, as long as Ford continues to deliver awesome Shelby branded vehicles, I am fine with it. Ford is getting a lot out of the Shelby brand or they wouldn't be renewing the agreement.

bpmurr 4/10/12 09:54 PM

I really think Ford should do to promote the SVT brand like Fiat does with SRT now and MB does with AMG.

Rather B.Blown 4/10/12 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6310532)
I hope he doesn't die before he signs my vehicle plate I ordered last sept. Is that wrong of me?

Too late for that. Haven't you gotten the letter yet that he is not able to do any more signatures himself and you will get a refund? If not, you need to contact them.

2k7gtcs 4/10/12 10:11 PM

Give me $50 and I'll sign his name for you.

Rather B.Blown 4/10/12 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6310496)
ford should drop the old mans name already. Its a sticker that doesnt add hp.

Its good publicity for Ford. Name recognition is one of the most valuable things for a product and a business, and its not easy to come by. Like it or not Shelby is one of the most recognizable brands on the planet. Even non-car people have at least heard of a Shelby Mustang or Cobra. When I run into people that strike up a conversation about my car, they mention it being "A Shelby".

On the other hand, EVERY person asks what SVT stands for and you have to explain (other than a small handful of Ford fanatics). Even car guys at cruise-ins (hell, even some Mustang owners). And after you explain, they immediately go back to the Shelby aspect.

People that are not even into cars see the name on these cars, they recognize it, and they now equate it with Ford. That's something that is hard to come by. Mulally wanting to know what the hell happened to the Taurus when he took over is prime example, and why the name was brought back ASAP.

Rather B.Blown 4/10/12 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6311028)

Sign it for Joe, I didn't order one or want one. I just saw a thread about them on Team Shelby.

2k7gtcs 4/10/12 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6311035)
Sign it for Joe, I didn't order one or want one. I just saw a thread about them on Team Shelby.

I meant for Joe. I guess I didn't quote his post. I know you wouldn't need one to be happy with your car.

kcoTiger 4/11/12 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6310814)
I don't care to have his name on the car, but I don't/won't own one anyway. Shelby as a company might as well be a scam...Sellin' people ****, and callin' it gold. As for Shelby the man...He doesn't know his head from his *** anymore, and you think they're gonna let him design *any* aspect of the car? Even after he dies, I bet they still use his name (people will just call it a "tribute" :rolleyes:)...Cuz it will be, just like it is now, a marketing gimmick and nothing more.

So what did he do, piss in your cornflakes? Screw your wife? Kick your dog? Lot of hate and wasted energy for a guy whom you've probably never met. Like I said, I don't get the hate for the guy.

Automagically 4/11/12 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Its good publicity for Ford. Name recognition is one of the most valuable things for a product and a business, and its not easy to come by. Like it or not Shelby is one of the most recognizable brands on the planet. Even non-car people have at least heard of a Shelby Mustang or Cobra. When I run into people that strike up a conversation about my car, they mention it being "A Shelby".

On the other hand, EVERY person asks what SVT stands for and you have to explain (other than a small handful of Ford fanatics). Even car guys at cruise-ins (hell, even some Mustang owners). And after you explain, they immediately go back to the Shelby aspect.

People that are not even into cars see the name on these cars, they recognize it, and they now equate it with Ford. That's something that is hard to come by. Mulally wanting to know what the hell happened to the Taurus when he took over is prime example, and why the name was brought back ASAP.

This is one of the most well put quotes I've seen. As much as I don't care either way, this is huge brand recognition for Ford and the Mustang. Even the most non car people recognize a Shelby. This is a win for the Mustang. The Mustang is the most recognized name in Ford other than the F150. It's tough to say what would happen if the name was lost. It's funny because my wife a slow car girl convert pretty much knew that the GT500 was the obvious choice to buy since it is the top of the Mustang heap. Though I've had to explain the GT and Boss trims countless times.

grabberblue 5.0 4/11/12 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Not even close. And just because the Shelby name disappears, doesn't mean the car does to. There would be something better to take it's place...

Lol yea, I'm not that upset about it kcotiger.

kcoTiger 4/11/12 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6311101)
Lol yea, I'm not that upset about it kcotiger.

Most people aren't. I mean, if it bugs a person that much I would think (because this is what I do personally, so as to avoid unnecessary aggravation in my life) they'd just avoid the issue instead of lighting up message boards about how the guy is a *!&% and a *^$!ing *$!%. If he wronged someone personally, that's one thing. Just seems like a lot of unnecessary aggravation. :dunno:

grabberblue 5.0 4/11/12 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6311151)
Most people aren't. I mean, if it bugs a person that much I would think (because this is what I do personally, so as to avoid unnecessary aggravation in my life) they'd just avoid the issue instead of lighting up message boards about how the guy is a *!&% and a *^$!ing *$!%. If he wronged someone personally, that's one thing. Just seems like a lot of unnecessary aggravation. :dunno:

Agreed. I'm just hoping, not pissed off lol.

stupidgenius36 4/11/12 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6311083)
So what did he do, piss in your cornflakes? Screw your wife? Kick your dog? Lot of hate and wasted energy for a guy whom you've probably never met. Like I said, I don't get the hate for the guy.

I don't eat cornflakes, I don't have a wife, nor do I have a dog. I've never met him, nor do I care to.

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6311151)

It doesn't bug me that much...You're trying to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Like I said...I don't own one, nor will I. His name is nothing more than marketing for both Ford and even his own company...He has nothing to do with either. And as far as I'm concerned, his name means nothing at all.

11SHELBYGT500 4/11/12 12:01 PM

I don't eat cornflakes, I don't have a wife, nor do I have a dog. I've never met him, nor do I care to.

It doesn't bug me that much...You're trying to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Like I said...I don't own one, nor will I. His name is nothing more than marketing for both Ford and even his own company...He has nothing to do with either. And as far as I'm concerned, his name means nothing at all.

Let's say his name is only for marketing. Why are you so bothered by that?

stupidgenius36 4/11/12 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6311425)
Let's say his name is only for marketing. Why are you so bothered by that?

I'm not bothered by it. :dunno: They can use his name all they want. I simply stated that his name means absolutely nothing, and he's nothing more than a joke to me.

11SHELBYGT500 4/11/12 12:16 PM

I'm not bothered by it. :dunno: They can use his name all they want. I simply stated that his name means absolutely nothing, and he's nothing more than a joke to me.

It doesn't mean nothing. You can dislike him for whatever reason you like, but he has a history and that's why you know his name? If he was nothing, you wouldn't know his name. It's seems to me you're just jumping on the hate wagon with no real reason.

stupidgenius36 4/11/12 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6311453)
It doesn't mean nothing. You can dislike him for whatever reason you like, but he has a history and that's why you know his name? If he was nothing, you wouldn't know his name. It's seems to me you're just jumping on the hate wagon with no real reason.

The only reason anyone these days knows his name is either because they're "old" and remember the days when his name actually did mean something, or because of the Gone In 60 Seconds remake. In which case "Shelby" just equals "purrdy car from that movie." He hasn't done anything relevant in a long time.

I wouldn't put *your* name on my car, and you had just as much to do with it as Shelby did.

11SHELBYGT500 4/11/12 12:41 PM

The only reason anyone these days knows his name is either because they're "old" and remember the days when his name actually did mean something, or because of the Gone In 60 Seconds remake. In which case "Shelby" just equals "purrdy car from that movie." He hasn't done anything relevant in a long time.

I wouldn't put *your* name on my car, and you had just as much to do with it as Shelby did.

The GT500 has Shelby's name on it. Ford can't make a GT500 without Shelby on it. The two go together and it can't be any other way. Do you hate Steve and Jack too? Do you hate Alec Baldwin for marketing the American express card? The GT500 isn't the only option when it comes to buying a mustang. If it was, I might be able to understand the hate, but nobody is making you buy one. I bet you would take a free one, huh? Lol

stupidgenius36 4/11/12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6311501)
The GT500 has Shelby's name on it. Ford can't make a GT500 without Shelby on it. The two go together and it can't be any other way. Do you hate Steve and Jack too? Do you hate Alec Baldwin for marketing the American express card? The GT500 isn't the only option when it comes to buying a mustang. If it was, I might be able to understand the hate, but nobody is making you buy one. I bet you would take a free one, huh? Lol

I never said I wanted them to just drop "Shelby" and keep "GT500". I'm fine with it just being called an SVT or just Cobra. Hell they can drop all that crap and just make it an optional package, I don't care. They can call it whatever they want, but it's still a Mustang.

I was never a huge fan of Saleen. Roush is ok. They're all overpriced. I hate American Express for not approving me for a card, but that's neither here nor there.

Absolutely, I'd accept a free one...And I'd either sell it or use it as a parts car to continue working on mine.

Flagstang 4/11/12 01:29 PM

to be fair a gt500 isnt a true shelby. My shelby GT ws a true shelby. Its like putting Nelly on the back of a dub car. Sounds cool right? baawaahahaha right? no..

no one is butt hurt.. they just see what a waste of money it is to pay an old man money for each car that he doesnt have anythign to do with. That money could go into making a better car. The best cobra of all time is the termi cars. I know people will say "the new gt500 would walk all over it" but you have to keep in mind the age of the car and the fact that it svt made a non shelby car vs the current one it would be better. Maybe no worlds better but still better.

11SHELBYGT500 4/11/12 01:34 PM

to be fair a gt500 isnt a true shelby. My shelby GT ws a true shelby. Its like putting Nelly on the back of a dub car. Sounds cool right? baawaahahaha right? no..

no one is butt hurt.. they just see what a waste of money it is to pay an old man money for each car that he doesnt have anythign to do with. That money could go into making a better car. The best cobra of all time is the termi cars. I know people will say "the new gt500 would walk all over it" but you have to keep in mind the age of the car and the fact that it svt made a non shelby car vs the current one it would be better. Maybe no worlds better but still better.

Still buying that crap stuff, huh Adrian?

Twin Turbo 4/11/12 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by speednutz (Post 6310598)
Looks like the next Gen is coming next year.
If a person bought a 13 Shelby GT500 you would have the only year this model was in production.
So, if a person lived to be 110 minus 10 or so, the car would be worth some extra coinage as a collector.

The 2013 GT500 will be available by early summer 2012.

The 2014 GT500 will be available early 2013 (don't expect any changes over the 2013MY)

The 2015MY (all new Mustang) will debut 17th April 2014.

So, the current GT500 will be available for 2 years :)

Mustang_Man 4/11/12 02:09 PM

This thread summarized:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000...3817.strip.gif

:D

Rather B.Blown 4/11/12 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Man (Post 6311634)

I think its more like this...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/6451531f.jpg

:jester:

Ninjak 4/11/12 02:55 PM

Lol these threads are truly funny. Shelby's name is synonymous with the high end Mustang. Shelby created the Gt500. Along with the GT350. Everyone know what a GT500 is, and the first thing is Wow that's a Shelby. That equates to whoa that's a bad *** car.

Ford is selling cars, and making money. Who cares if they break Shelby off as well ? Its a win win all the way around. Ford still builds them and sell them.

1 COBRA 4/11/12 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6311028)

Before you take the 50 bucks you might like to consult a knowledgeable copyrights attorney. Just in case.

. . . :what:

:jester:

05mustangman 4/12/12 04:57 AM

This is exactly one reason why I do not post here very often but just read the threads. Because every thread no matter what topic it is seems to turn into an SVT VS. Shelby pissing match and see who hates Shelby the most. And you know who you are and there are plenty of people who only assume what it is that Shelby himself does. I'm not sticking up for him because he does not need anyone to do that. I think his resume and whole career speaks for itself. And the people who claim they know that Shelby is only there for marketing, oh man you guys can't be anymore wrong. You guys probably know nothing about him or the company and what goes on behind closed doors. Not by any means saying I do because I don't directly know. I'm just saying that believe me, Carroll Shelby has WAY more to do with the development of the GT500 than people think.

And again, I'm not sure why every thread here immediately turns into the hail SVT and Shelby does nothing thread, but its very sad.

That being said, I hope people don't get totally outraged that someone says there is nothing wrong with Shelby.

And for the people saying Shelby is causing markups and that you want SVT back, do you really think Ford dealers wouldn't markup the newest and baddest Mustang even if it wasn't label Shelby? Doesn't matter if the top Mustang was a Mach1 or Boss right now those would have markups as well. And didn't the Bosses have markups on them for quite awhile? Blasphemy! We gotta got rid of the Boss name now!!!!

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman
This is exactly one reason why I do not post here very often but just read the threads. Because every thread no matter what topic it is seems to turn into an SVT VS. Shelby pissing match and see who hates Shelby the most. And you know who you are and there are plenty of people who only assume what it is that Shelby himself does. I'm not sticking up for him because he does not need anyone to do that. I think his resume and whole career speaks for itself. And the people who claim they know that Shelby is only there for marketing, oh man you guys can't be anymore wrong. You guys probably know nothing about him or the company and what goes on behind closed doors. Not by any means saying I do because I don't directly know. I'm just saying that believe me, Carroll Shelby has WAY more to do with the development of the GT500 than people think.

And again, I'm not sure why every thread here immediately turns into the hail SVT and Shelby does nothing thread, but its very sad.

That being said, I hope people don't get totally outraged that someone says there is nothing wrong with Shelby.

And for the people saying Shelby is causing markups and that you want SVT back, do you really think Ford dealers wouldn't markup the newest and baddest Mustang even if it wasn't label Shelby? Doesn't matter if the top Mustang was a Mach1 or Boss right now those would have markups as well. And didn't the Bosses have markups on them for quite awhile? Blasphemy! We gotta got rid of the Boss name now!!!!

Dealer markup and higher msrp are different things.

stupidgenius36 4/12/12 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman (Post 6312501)

If it bothers you that much, then continue to not post... :dunno:

Common sense says that he has absolutely nothing to do with the GT500. It's designed and built by Ford, and his name is only on it for marketing. Why is that so hard to understand?

There will always be dealer markups, but paying to use the "Shelby" name WILL increase costs...*FACT*.

Kpd3014 4/12/12 11:29 AM

My .02
I bought a Shelby GT500. I love the car. I don't like the name Shelby on the rear. Hmmm, so I took it off problem solved. AMAZING

05mustangman 4/12/12 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6312554)

oh yea your absolutely right. But there are people complaining about both. In those senses people should be complaining nonstop about Roush and honestly the Mustang GT is just about getting to the point of the GT500 pricing. The Boss Laguna Seca isn't too far off either.

And stupidgenious, you say it's common sense that he is only for advertising? Why exactly is it common sense? I would love for you to show exactly how he had nothing to do with the car. If it wasn't for him working with Ford the car would be nowhere near where it is now. Yes Ford did make everything on the car BUT Shelby had a ton of input on the car. Yes he is not building the cars himself but at his age do you seriously expect him too? I don't why everyone is SO concerned about what it is he does. I suggest you do a little research before stating what you say is common sense because you obviously really have no idea. And yes the Shelby name will bring more money because as stated before it is a premium brand that will have high quality parts. Not saying stock parts but parts you can buy from Shelby. But now you should be able to get a GT500 for sticker or lower. If your still paying an adm at your dealer, you need to go somewhere else. And if its just prices your complaining about, than Ford Racing should be out of reach too. Their not exactly the cheapest either. And with these cars why put on the cheapest quality parts? Do it right the first time with high quality parts which yes you will need to pay more for.

And not a case of anything bothering me it's just that it is sad to come here and see every thread do nothing but turn into bashing contests. I love coming here and getting a good laugh watching people bash each other and say they are right and everyone else is stupid. It is good entertainment. But even with a good thread you can't come here and have a decent conversation without someone calling someone else out and bashing them about what they post or anything. But then again, that's just my .02

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 03:45 PM

You're going to have both regardless if Shelby is on the rear or just the Cobras on the side that he made famous.

05mustangman 4/12/12 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6312996)
You're going to have both regardless if Shelby is on the rear or just the Cobras on the side that he made famous.

Absolutely right thank you. That's the point is that it does not matter what is on the car whether it be Shelby, SVT Cobra, Mach1, Boss, whatever premium model it is, Ford dealers will take advantage of it.

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 04:52 PM

The statement I made earlier was in reference to higher msrp. I don't care about dealer mark up. I will not pay it ever. That's easier to get around than msrp.

Rather B.Blown 4/12/12 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6313044)
The statement I made earlier was in reference to higher msrp. I don't care about dealer mark up. I will not pay it ever. That's easier to get around than msrp.

Does anyone know how much higher MSRP is because it has Shelby on it? Just curious, people throw around all kinds of figures and assumptions, but does anyone know just how much money Ford pays Shelby to use the name on these cars?

stupidgenius36 4/12/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman (Post 6312987)
And stupidgenious, you say it's common sense that he is only for advertising? Why exactly is it common sense? I would love for you to show exactly how he had nothing to do with the car. If it wasn't for him working with Ford the car would be nowhere near where it is now. Yes Ford did make everything on the car BUT Shelby had a ton of input on the car. Yes he is not building the cars himself but at his age do you seriously expect him too? I don't why everyone is SO concerned about what it is he does. I suggest you do a little research before stating what you say is common sense because you obviously really have no idea. And yes the Shelby name will bring more money because as stated before it is a premium brand that will have high quality parts. Not saying stock parts but parts you can buy from Shelby. But now you should be able to get a GT500 for sticker or lower. If your still paying an adm at your dealer, you need to go somewhere else. And if its just prices your complaining about, than Ford Racing should be out of reach too. Their not exactly the cheapest either. And with these cars why put on the cheapest quality parts? Do it right the first time with high quality parts which yes you will need to pay more for.

And not a case of anything bothering me it's just that it is sad to come here and see every thread do nothing but turn into bashing contests. I love coming here and getting a good laugh watching people bash each other and say they are right and everyone else is stupid. It is good entertainment. But even with a good thread you can't come here and have a decent conversation without someone calling someone else out and bashing them about what they post or anything. But then again, that's just my .02

Just think about...He's an old man. He's just collecting a paycheck. Why *WOULD* he have anything to do with the car??? All he has to do is sit back and get paid. Ford isn't paying him for work, they're paying for his name. You really think the car is lightyears ahead of what it would be without Shelby??? You're just ****in' with me now, right? Ford/SVT has an entire team of engineers/designers/etc that know more about *every* aspect of automobiles than Shelby...So, what exactly leads you to believe that he's god and had a hand in every aspect of the car?

There's no research to be done...That's why it's common sense. Use a little logic...it goes a long way.

There's not anymore "quality parts" on the GT500 than there are on the base V6 models. "Quality parts" are the ones you replace your ****ty stock parts with.

There's a lot more members here now than there were back in the day, and with that comes a lot more dumbasses. But there's still plenty of good conversation to be had.

05mustangman 4/12/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6313113)
Just think about...He's an old man. He's just collecting a paycheck. Why *WOULD* he have anything to do with the car??? All he has to do is sit back and get paid. Ford isn't paying him for work, they're paying for his name. You really think the car is lightyears ahead of what it would be without Shelby??? You're just ****in' with me now, right? Ford/SVT has an entire team of engineers/designers/etc that know more about *every* aspect of automobiles than Shelby...So, what exactly leads you to believe that he's god and had a hand in every aspect of the car?

There's no research to be done...That's why it's common sense. Use a little logic...it goes a long way.

There's not anymore "quality parts" on the GT500 than there are on the base V6 models. "Quality parts" are the ones you replace your ****ty stock parts with.

There's a lot more members here now than there were back in the day, and with that comes a lot more dumbasses. But there's still plenty of good conversation to be had.

Yea he is an old man but he has been involved with the development of the cars. And yea it is sad that some parts on the GT500 can be found on the V6's. And that's what I mean is by replacing your stock parts with the quality ones that Shelby sells from the Shelby Store. Some of those parts are Extremely nice.

And that's funny I never said he was God and had a hand in every aspect of the car. He definitely helped with the suspension and power aspects of the car. That's what Shelby is about, Power and good handling. And you can't say the same suspension and power can be found on other model Mustangs because it isn't. That's all I was saying is that he did have a hand in creating the car. Just giving input on what kind of power to put out or what suspension he wants the car to have. Ford listened and took input from what he had to say.

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 07:10 PM

hmm, I still don't have solid proof that there shelby's cost more than cobras due directly to the shelby name but I do believe this should help some.

(all prices listed below are base prices)

2003 SVT Cobra $33460
2003 Mustang GT $23705
Cobra costs about $10000 more

2007 Shelby GT500 $40930
2007 Mustang GT $25695
Shelby costs about $15000 more

2011 Shelby GT500 $48900
2011 Mustang GT $29800
Shelby costs about $18000 more

2013 Shelby GT500 $54200
2013 Mustang GT $30300
Shelby costs about $24000 more

Seems to me there is about a $5000 premium over the Cobra. I don't believe that these parts that are used on the Shelby's warrant such a large price increase. From Shelby to Shelby I can comprehend but not from SVT to Shelby.

AGAIN, I do realize that this is NOT solid evidence but I these numbers are undeniable and shows a price jump when moving to the Shelby

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 07:11 PM

I don't hate the guy by any means, but there are less expensive parts that are just as reliable and powerful to be used that would yield similar results

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 07:27 PM

hmm, I still don't have solid proof that there shelby's cost more than cobras due directly to the shelby name but I do believe this should help some.

(all prices listed below are base prices)

2003 SVT Cobra $33460
2003 Mustang GT $23705
Cobra costs about $10000 more

2007 Shelby GT500 $40930
2007 Mustang GT $25695
Shelby costs about $15000 more

2011 Shelby GT500 $48900
2011 Mustang GT $29800
Shelby costs about $18000 more

2013 Shelby GT500 $54200
2013 Mustang GT $30300
Shelby costs about $24000 more

Seems to me there is about a $5000 premium over the Cobra. I don't believe that these parts that are used on the Shelby's warrant such a large price increase. From Shelby to Shelby I can comprehend but not from SVT to Shelby.

AGAIN, I do realize that this is NOT solid evidence but I these numbers are undeniable and shows a price jump when moving to the Shelby

The 5.4 engine with blower is $23,000 from ford racing. That has nothing to do with Shelby.

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 07:30 PM

The 5.4 engine with blower is $23,000 from ford racing. That has nothing to do with Shelby.

23000 is what they will sell it to you for, not how much it costs them to make and install

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 07:31 PM

23000 is what they will sell it to you for, not how much it costs them to make and install

Exactly my point

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 07:38 PM

Now subtract the cost of the gt motor as well. Plus that wasn't a new motor by any means. It had been used in the f150's for almost a decade before that too

Flagstang 4/12/12 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman (Post 6313144)
Yea he is an old man but he has been involved with the development of the cars. And yea it is sad that some parts on the GT500 can be found on the V6's. And that's what I mean is by replacing your stock parts with the quality ones that Shelby sells from the Shelby Store. Some of those parts are Extremely nice.

And that's funny I never said he was God and had a hand in every aspect of the car. He definitely helped with the suspension and power aspects of the car. That's what Shelby is about, Power and good handling. And you can't say the same suspension and power can be found on other model Mustangs because it isn't. That's all I was saying is that he did have a hand in creating the car. Just giving input on what kind of power to put out or what suspension he wants the car to have. Ford listened and took input from what he had to say.

you people are nuts and need to get real. Shelby has never turned a wrench on the new gt500. You really do not think his names increases the cost of the car??? where do you think the royalty check money comes from? Thats handed down to us.. FACT.. The 03-04 cobra would of been more money with the shelby stick ons. Shelby never touched the gt500. Ford came to the man with a ready made car and handed him a check. The only true shelby is a sgt because it went to vegas and was modded by the garage the old man owns. I know this because I owned a SGT and went to vegas. The svt guys built and setup the power plant and the suspension of the car. I know this because I went and talked to the shelby shop guys in person when I was in vegas. If you do not know things do not post them as "well it could happen".. its crap misinformation and people should not be wasting time on it.

posting costs also is silly because they have price points they have to stay in. If you do not think removing the shelby name from the cobras would either remove some of the cost or increase the money to be spent on the car you are not seeing this from a business point of view which is the real point of view to take.

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 07:59 PM

Now subtract the cost of the gt motor as well. Plus that wasn't a new motor by any means. It had been used in the f150's for almost a decade before that too

Not the same motor

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 08:03 PM

you people are nuts and need to get real. Shelby has never turned a wrench on the new gt500. You really do not think his names increases the cost of the car??? where do you think the royalty check money comes from? Thats handed down to us.. FACT.. The 03-04 cobra would of been more money with the shelby stick ons. Shelby never touched the gt500. Ford came to the man with a ready made car and handed him a check. The only true shelby is a sgt because it went to vegas and was modded by the garage the old man owns. I know this because I owned a SGT and went to vegas. The svt guys built and setup the power plant and the suspension of the car. I know this because I went and talked to the shelby shop guys in person when I was in vegas. If you do not know things do not post them as "well it could happen".. its crap misinformation and people should not be wasting time on it.

posting costs also is silly because they have price points they have to stay in. If you do not think removing the shelby name from the cobras would either remove some of the cost or increase the money to be spent on the car you are not seeing this from a business point of view which is the real point of view to take.

...and if you think the vehicle MSRP will drop $1.00 you're crazy.

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 08:10 PM

Not the same motor

I'm sorry let me be more technical, the same block. None of these parts used were invented for this car. They were already produced, maybe not in mass quantities but none of it was new stuff

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 08:10 PM

...and if you think the vehicle MSRP will drop $1.00 you're crazy.

And you've got to be crazy to think that ford doesn't pay him for his copyrighted name

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 08:11 PM

I'm sorry let me be more technical, the same block. None of these parts used were invented for this car. They were already produced, maybe not in mass quantities but none of it was new stuff

I don't think the f150 was running an aluminum block

11SHELBYGT500 4/12/12 08:12 PM

And you've got to be crazy to think that ford doesn't pay him for his copyrighted name

Oh I know he gets money, but ford would just pocket that money they weren't paying him. They won't pass the savings on to the consumer.

grabberblue 5.0 4/12/12 08:28 PM

Oh I know he gets money, but ford would just pocket that money they weren't paying him. They won't pass the savings on to the consumer.

Can't argue that... And I was referring to the 07-10 gt500's. Like I said I understand the increases from model to model in the gt500. Significant changes from 10 to 11

stupidgenius36 4/12/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman (Post 6313144)

He did nothing for the power or suspension. Did he help with the Terminators too? They had the most power and IRS, remember? It's the top of the line Mustang, so it's gonna have power/handling regardless of what Shelby is about. It's meant to be the best all around Mustang in the lineup.

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6313300)

They certainly aren't gonna drop the price once they get rid of his name, but it gave them a reason for the price bump to begin with.

ace72ace 4/12/12 09:00 PM

My display is now all yellowed because of the silly contest being waged in this thread! :catfight: Hope you are all proud of yourselves! :jester:

05mustangman 4/12/12 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6313423)
He did nothing for the power or suspension. Did he help with the Terminators too? They had the most power and IRS, remember? It's the top of the line Mustang, so it's gonna have power/handling regardless of what Shelby is about. It's meant to be the best all around Mustang in the lineup.

They certainly aren't gonna drop the price once they get rid of his name, but it gave them a reason for the price bump to begin with.

Oh well when you put it that way it's obvious now that Ford and Shelby execs. have been lying this whole time that Shelby was involved in the GT500 program.

I don't know why you would even ask about the terminators. That's wasn't Shelby's program was it? No, that was SVT. And terminators had the most power at that time. Almost every year new GT500's have been coming out they have been the most powerful production mustangs to date. So I guess what we could take away from this is that you were at the Ford and Shelby meetings and dind't see Shelby there once. Cause it sounds like you were definitely at the meetings.

jsaylor 4/12/12 10:15 PM

SVT and Shelby badges on a Mustang were/are both marketing ploys labeling a high performance product sold by Ford, nothing more and nothing less. If Ford started marketing them as the Powder Puff Pony Special tomorrow, that is what they'd be. In the end, Ford chose the marketing scheme they believe works better.

As for Shelby not having any input. I assure you that neither Louis Chevrolet nor any of his lineage has run the Chevrolet engineering department in roughly a hundred year or so, and owners of the new 458 will of course be shocked to learn that Enzo couldn't put any work in on their latest stallion because he is out of the office....eternally.

It's a name guys, and even for the SVT die-hards I assure you that worse things have happened in the history of Ford high performance (the 1970's for example)

stupidgenius36 4/13/12 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jsaylor (Post 6313505)
SVT and Shelby badges on a Mustang were/are both marketing ploys labeling a high performance product sold by Ford, nothing more and nothing less. If Ford started marketing them as the Powder Puff Pony Special tomorrow, that is what they'd be. In the end, Ford chose the marketing scheme they believe works better.

As for Shelby not having any input. I assure you that neither Louis Chevrolet nor any of his lineage has run the Chevrolet engineering department in roughly a hundred year or so, and owners of the new 458 will of course be shocked to learn that Enzo couldn't put any work in on their latest stallion because he is out of the office....eternally.

It's a name guys, and even for the SVT die-hards I assure you that worse things have happened in the history of Ford high performance (the 1970's for example)

This.

Originally Posted by 05mustangman (Post 6313496)
Oh well when you put it that way it's obvious now that Ford and Shelby execs. have been lying this whole time that Shelby was involved in the GT500 program.

I don't know why you would even ask about the terminators. That's wasn't Shelby's program was it? No, that was SVT. And terminators had the most power at that time. Almost every year new GT500's have been coming out they have been the most powerful production mustangs to date. So I guess what we could take away from this is that you were at the Ford and Shelby meetings and dind't see Shelby there once. Cause it sounds like you were definitely at the meetings.

I gave the Terminators as an example, because you're ignoring all logic, reason, and even FACTS. The Terminators were the top model...best power and performance just like it is now, but it was done WITHOUT Shelby. Crazy how the top model remained the top model regardless of badging. :wonder: New model gets more power...new platform gets more power...more weight gets more power. They can only add so much more power before it's the most powerful V8 they've ever produced...It was bound to happen with or without Shelby's name on the side. Shelby didn't walk in and say "Ok guys, I want a big V8 in there with 650hp!" And Ford didn't respond with "Well we were just gonna put a 4-cylinder in there, but **** it! Let's just go with the V8! That's genius!"

It's just a badge...accept it.

kcoTiger 4/13/12 11:26 AM

Apparently some people have reason to stick burrs up their own asses about a guy who may or may not have had something to do with the development of the past/present/future GT500. Unbelievable. There are far more important things in the world to get your dander up about than whether an old man drew up the design plans for a new car or simply signed a piece of paper allowing Ford to use his name. Get a life.

Kpd3014 4/13/12 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Apparently some people have reason to stick burrs up their own asses about a guy who may or may not have had something to do with the development of the past/present/future GT500. Unbelievable. There are far more important things in the world to get your dander up about than whether an old man drew up the design plans for a new car or simply signed a piece of paper allowing Ford to use his name. Get a life.

^this, conversation over.

Flagstang 4/13/12 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6313956)

Originally Posted by Kpd3014 (Post 6313971)
^this, conversation over.

so why do we have forums if we are not going to talk about things? Feeding children and ending war are much more important issues so I guess a mustang forum isnt important so why are you here?

kcoTiger 4/13/12 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6314214)
so why do we have forums if we are not going to talk about things? Feeding children and ending war are much more important issues so I guess a mustang forum isnt important so why are you here?

I'm guessing being obtuse is your forte. Then again, maybe it's reading things into a post that aren't there. Either way, you've excelled at both in a single attempt.

Flagstang 4/13/12 03:20 PM

by design

kcoTiger 4/13/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6314220)
by design

I'm devastated by the lack of surprise.

Flagstang 4/13/12 03:43 PM

shocking

SteelTownStang 4/13/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 6310362)
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...mustang-report

Shelby American president John Luft told Mustangs Daily that the company's relationship with Ford would continue through 2015 and beyond thanks to a recent contract extension.

Sounds good to me...

1 COBRA 4/13/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6314253)
shocking

It really is. Try as one might, reality does not change in someone's life with a decal and royalty fees no matter the amount. Those who give credence and meaning to their existance by riding a stanger's coat tail are the ones who need to get a life.

Flagstang 4/13/12 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA (Post 6314379)
It really is. Try as one might, reality does not change in someone's life with a decal and royalty fees no matter the amount. Those who give credence and meaning to their existance by riding a stanger's coat tail are the ones who need to get a life.

thats why I wouldnt want such things on my mustang.