Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Security System for 2014 GT500???

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/14, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security System for 2014 GT500???

Hi everyone, I know this topic has been discussed and re-discussed, but it has left me more than a little confused about the best way to move forward. Questions will be at the bottom. Also, I will probably post this on a couple of boards, so I apologize if you see this more than once. I also recognize that if a professional car thief wants the car, they are going to get it, so I am trying to protect against mid-level and lower thieves...something to make it not worth their while to attempt.

As I am less than three weeks from taking delivery of my 2014 Ruby Red GT500, I know that I want more that the passive system that is standard on the 2014 GT500, but don't know which way to go. I was leaning toward the Ravelco, and haven't completely ruled it out, but after reading a lot of posts, I believe I need an active anti-theft system.

Questions:
1. Ford offers an active anti-theft system for $208 plus dealer installation. Does anyone have any experience with that alarm? Does it offer the same features as the security system upgrade on the GT (e.g. Tilt sensor, backup sensor)? It uses a factory wiring harness and keeps all warranties in tact, but how easily is it defeated?
2. I've read a lot about the Viper alarm. I haven't priced it yet, but it seems like from other posts that it is very expensive and dependent on finding a quality installer. How does it compare to the Ford system? Is it worth the extra cost?
3. Finally, lots of good press on the Ravelco, but most installers (from what I've read), consider it an overpriced kill switch. Any other first hand experience here? I may want to use this as a second layer, but if that's the case, then another hidden kill switch may be a moore cost effective means to do this.

By the way, I don't want to make it so difficult for me to start my own car that I leave these protections disabled. As I am looking at insurance, I did find out that the theft rates for the GT500 are very low. I'm not sure if that's because most GT500 owners invest in quality anti-theft systems or if they are just too hard to turnover. Again, apologies for bringing the dead horse back to the race, but I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 4/21/14, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LewieE
As I am looking at insurance, I did find out that the theft rates for the GT500 are very low. I'm not sure if that's because most GT500 owners invest in quality anti-theft systems or if they are just too hard to turnover.
I don't have the latest stat handy, but are you aware of how few Americans know how to operate a stick? I think it's low single digits, percentage-wise. I've been told it's the biggest deterrent because your casual opportunist couldn't start it if he tried, much less move it.

The 2nd layer of protection, as you mentioned, is profile and turnover. You might as well be trying to get away in a lambo or 458. Average semi-pro's that could drive a stick won't bother because what are they going to do with it, assuming they don't get picked off in minutes? Low volume, low demand for parts. They want your Silverado, F-150, or Camry. High part demand.

You do have your very-pro exporters, but they tend to be near the coast shipping points and $50K - $70K cars aren't their priority.

Don't park in a crappy area, pay for decent parking if you're in a questionable place. I don't feel the need to do any more than that.
Old 4/21/14, 09:19 PM

Thanks Outtaphase! All great points.
Old 4/21/14, 09:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The only thing I would be worried about is wheels, and that's really just in the seedier areas.
Old 4/22/14, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by LewieE
Thanks Outtaphase! All great points.
I have the low jack early warning on my Shelby I think it was around 1200.oo it will send you a tex and a email if the car moves at least 5 feet but it takes 15 to 20 minutes to get the tex not good, it also lowered my insurance 5 bucks a year (what a deal) I thought about having the viper installed but I don't want my wires hacked up I also use the club steering wheel lock I know they can be cut off in seconds but every little bit helps
Old 4/22/14, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep mine in the garage for more than 6 months out of the year, and not by choice. Works good though..... Lol