Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

A poor man's shelby

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/17, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A poor man's shelby

So I absolutely love mustangs. And my favorite year is the 2014s.

However there is no getting away from the Shelby mustangs. It's the ultimate dream car.

My question is - and I'm not sure how you guys would feel about it - but can you put all the exterior shelby features on a GT and call it good?

Obviously it's not going to have anything close to a shelby performance wise. But with speed limits and not taking it to tracks I think a 5.0 v8 would be quite enough fun for me behind the wheel. It's still an amazing car and I'm not trying to take anything away from the Shelby's. But the Shelby's have this prestige and elegance about them.

If I were to do this I would get a bodykit, hood, rims, seats, steering wheel and shelby stickers and finishings.

The tires wouldn't be the same width and performance wouldn't be the same. Along with a number of things.

Would this be technically legal? Obviously if I sold it I would not sell it as a shelby but if completed I would love it forever as art work of my own.

I'm eager to hear your opinions.
Old 4/26/17, 04:00 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
No. You shouldn't pretend to be something your not
Old 4/26/17, 04:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
It's your car, your money. You're entitled to do whatever pleases you. But understand that a Mustang GT performs poorly in the used car market to begin with. Modifications, especially in the manner you describe, will lower it's resale value even further, perhaps even making the car un-sellable.

There is no right or wrong, but it's a sensitive and subjective issue and I'll refrain from stating my personal opinion. Be forewarned....don't expect a lot of support here for what you propose.

Good luck regardless of your direction.
The following users liked this post:
larryf (7/22/23)
Old 4/26/17, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
By the time you buy all the stuff to build a " clone ", wouldn't you be ahead of the curve & just buy the real thing ?
From what I see, it's a buyer's market.
If you can catch someone " motivated " to sell, there are some really good deals to be had..
Old 4/26/17, 10:14 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Oh boy... this topic again.

Short answer: NO.
Old 4/26/17, 10:38 AM
GT-500 Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
It's your car, I'd say do what makes you happy. Even a "real" GT500 is still just a mustang at the end of the day.
Old 4/26/17, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Buy a 2011-2012 Shelby and modify it to look like a 2013, all you need it few front and back mods and your all set.
11-12 are not holding their value as good as the 13-14 but you can score a nice clean low mile ride for around 30-35k.

Modifying a GT to look like a Shelby is fine, but the moment you put on Shelby badges that's when you enter the poser territory, everyone will eventually notice that it's not a real Shelby and you will become the laughing stock.

It's big money just to do the exterior parts , for making a GT into Shelby look alike. You need hood, whole front bumper conversion, wheels, back bumper cut out for quad tips with back splitter, rear spoiler. All that will need paint and install, will be around 4000 minimum, plus a good low mile 2013-14 GT should run around 20-27k.

Might as well save some extra money and buy a 11-12 Shelby.
Old 4/26/17, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Go for it... It is your car.

Yeah I have a fake snake, too. Well sort of. In the end, it is your car.
I know i will get smacked again, but hey, I don't give a ****. At least I know every wire and bolt in my car and I am able to help a lot of guys out in this forum.

But then those Oil changes on the 5.8 are expensive

LEXiiON
Old 4/26/17, 12:39 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Go for it... It is your car.

Yeah I have a fake snake, too. Well sort of. In the end, it is your car.
I know i will get smacked again, but hey, I don't give a ****. At least I know every wire and bolt in my car and I am able to help a lot of guys out in this forum.

But then those Oil changes on the 5.8 are expensive

LEXiiON
No - I remember you. Your case is different. You went ALL out. Meaning, exterior panels and looks, but also the POWERTRAIN, you upgraded.

The OP I think has no plans to swap out engines, etc. He's just talking about fenders and badging. To that, it's a resounding, NO.
Old 4/26/17, 01:11 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
It is best to not represent it as anything other than what it is. It is ok to go after the look, but don't badge it as a Shelby if it is not a Shelby, or anything else for that matter. Make the car yours and build it the way you want it, but don't misrepresent it as a Shelby, Saleen, Steeda, Roush, or whatever.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 4/26/17 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (4/27/17)
Old 4/27/17, 05:56 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
It is best to not represent it as anything other than what it is. It is ok to go after the look, but don't badge it as a Shelby if it is not a Shelby, or anything else for that matter. Make the car yours and build it the way you want it, but don't misrepresent it as a Shelby, Saleen, Steeda, Roush, or whatever.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 4/27/17, 08:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
[QUOTE=32vsnake;7013565]It's your car, I'd say do what makes you happy. Even a "real" GT500 is still just a mustang at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]
I don't know of any insurance co. that agrees with that statement.
You can get away with that with a Roush, Steeda, Saleen, etc..
Old 4/27/17, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Do what you want, It will be your car and your money, I badged mine up as a GT and put 3.7 on my fender instead of 5.0 because I like the GT emblem and body kit better. I am extremely happy with it, and half the time no one notices. So in the end its up to you, no one will stop you from doing it.
Old 4/27/17, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zewez1992@gmail.com
So I absolutely love mustangs. And my favorite year is the 2014s.

However there is no getting away from the Shelby mustangs. It's the ultimate dream car.

My question is - and I'm not sure how you guys would feel about it - but can you put all the exterior shelby features on a GT and call it good?

Obviously it's not going to have anything close to a shelby performance wise. But with speed limits and not taking it to tracks I think a 5.0 v8 would be quite enough fun for me behind the wheel. It's still an amazing car and I'm not trying to take anything away from the Shelby's. But the Shelby's have this prestige and elegance about them.

If I were to do this I would get a bodykit, hood, rims, seats, steering wheel and shelby stickers and finishings.

The tires wouldn't be the same width and performance wouldn't be the same. Along with a number of things.

Would this be technically legal? Obviously if I sold it I would not sell it as a shelby but if completed I would love it forever as art work of my own.

I'm eager to hear your opinions.
If you want a Shelby, BUY a SHELBY!
Old 4/28/17, 12:15 PM
I Have No Life

funny part of all this = the OP joins the forum, posts this ONE post, then is never heard from again.

LOL. Talk about dropping a bomb then leaving the room.
Old 4/28/17, 01:49 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
funny part of all this = the OP joins the forum, posts this ONE post, then is never heard from again.

LOL. Talk about dropping a bomb then leaving the room.
I noticed that. It really seems to happen a lot with these hot topics. I don't think they liked what they were told.
Old 7/13/17, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make your car look any way you want. But just because it may resemble a certain car on the exterior, it won't be that model car.
Putting a Shelby grill, wheels and rear spoiler on a GT would make it look good though.
However badging it as a Shelby is over the top.
Old 7/13/17, 08:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I noticed that. It really seems to happen a lot with these hot topics. I don't think they liked what they were told.
And yet they ask for feedback/opinions, but if the opinion provided isn't to their liking, you'll either get flamed for it or they just vanish into thin air..

The way I look at it is this.. If whoever the person is asking or seeking an opinion for whatever reason doesn't feel that it's acceptable enough, then don't bother wasting the time asking for it in the first place !
Old 7/15/17, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like them too , but too expensive & I don't need a super charged V-8...
2014 GT is good enough