Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Is my Clutch Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/10, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer is telling me Ford will not honor the warranty because of the pulley swap. The additional power has lead to the premature wear. I'm not sure what to do....

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/11/10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow BS I have seen gt500's with more power holding on the stock clutch.
Old 6/11/10, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow taht sucks sorry to hear that man
Old 6/11/10, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
The dealer is telling me Ford will not honor the warranty because of the pulley swap. The additional power has lead to the premature wear. I'm not sure what to do....
Wow, what about if the engine fails now... no warranty as well ??
That is a shame IMO !!

Your dealer could have used some more discretion about the pulley swap... Do they had to report that swap!?!

Last edited by RickyD; 6/11/10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 02:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Oh man that is bogus.

That really sucks.
Old 6/11/10, 02:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

I bought this car last year because I believed strongly in Ford not taking bailout money. It was about a year too soon for me but I wanted to do something as an individual to help out Ford and the people who work there. It feld really good when I was contacted by someone on the niche line and get to put faces with my car. Now I have Ford looking for a quick out to save a buck on a long time and very loyal customer.
Old 6/11/10, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Measure the tread dept of all the tires if the back are the same as the front it would seem to me it wasn't a power problem but if the rear tire are way down and the fronts are good it may a power problem or a happy right foot!!!! 10,000 is not alot of miles for a clutch to go out.
Old 6/11/10, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Could it be that they (ford) read the forums and your post of the new pulley's and then your day at the drag strip?

Whether it caused it or not. It might give them some ammo for denial
Old 6/11/10, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by shotzy
Could it be that they (ford) read the forums and your post of the new pulley's and then your day at the drag strip?

Whether it caused it or not. It might give them some ammo for denial
I'll point to the press day for the 2010 GT500 where they were drag racing the car. If the car can't do it then that's false advertising. If they want me drive it like a Focus then advertise it as such.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/11/10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I am on your side. I think they should pay. I was just pointing out something that they may use against you.

Good luck. Hopefully everything will get worked out.
Old 6/11/10, 02:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Stuff like this makes me scared to mod the car
Old 6/11/10, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Man that sucks. I hope the dealer ends up fighting for you and honors it anyways. Any way you can talk to one of the sales guys on here for advice?
Old 6/11/10, 02:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Stuff like this makes me scared to mod the car
RTR Package. Or something similar. There are lot of factory backed packages becoming available (of course not for the GT500 though). I'd try to get as much done that will affect mechanical items before delivery, done by the factory or dealer, that will be covered for the duration of the warranty period. Then after that is up, who cares!
Old 6/11/10, 02:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
RTR Package. Or something similar. There are lot of factory backed packages becoming available (of course not for the GT500 though). I'd try to get as much done that will affect mechanical items before delivery, done by the factory or dealer, that will be covered for the duration of the warranty period. Then after that is up, who cares!
you aint lyin! I think any mods I do will all be FRPP installed at the dealer to avoid them trying to screw me over with warranty crap
Old 6/11/10, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bpmurr, so what if you had gotten the FRPP Whipple, the one with the warranty, installed when you took delivery of your car. And the clutch went out at the same mile mark. Would it not be covered under warranty?? Because the Whipple would probably be making more power than you are now, right?

And Jason, yep. I'd go with the FRPP parts to start me off. With a new GT, I'd be happy with CAI/exhaust/tune anyways, well that and suspension stuff. Other than that, I would only want the warranty for stuff like this!
Old 6/11/10, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bpmurr, so what if you had gotten the FRPP Whipple, the one with the warranty, installed when you took delivery of your car. And the clutch went out at the same mile mark. Would it not be covered under warranty?? Because the Whipple would probably be making more power than you are now, right?

And Jason, yep. I'd go with the FRPP parts to start me off. With a new GT, I'd be happy with CAI/exhaust/tune anyways, well that and suspension stuff. Other than that, I would only want the warranty for stuff like this!
Well for GT owners: Intake/exhaust/tune can always be swapped back to stock before taking it into service. Much harder when you get into stuff like pulleys
Old 6/11/10, 03:16 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know a good law firm that only does this stuff.

Tell the dealer that ford has to prove that the aftermarket part is at falt. That is what the moss act states.

look up Magnuson-Moss Warranty
Old 6/11/10, 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Correct because in page 14 of your warranty guide the clutch lining is considered a wear item and not covered under warranty regardless of what you do to the car.

We all know the clutch should have lasted longer. However, Ford doesn't give a **** at the moment.
Old 6/11/10, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I see. Thanks for enlightening me. I've never owned a MT car so it's unfamiliar territory for me. I hope they get it squared away for you. If not, time for an upgrade then?
Old 6/11/10, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Question is what would you do if you were the dealer and somebody brought that clutch in like that ?

Quick Reply: Is my Clutch Toast???