Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Living the GT500 Dream!!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/11, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living the GT500 Dream!!!

Well, I havent said much as to not give too much away, but it is time to share my story with the Mustang Community. A little long to read, but worth it........

It was several years back when I was bit by the Mustang bug, which lead me to my first Mustang, a 1995 5.0 convertible. I watched the development of the S197 with everyone else and started to eyeball my next car. By the time I was in a position to get a new Mustang, the GT500 was out but not too many dealers were taking MSRP, at least not mine. They wanted $10K over sticker which is not what anyone should do, so I passed. I planned it out then in late 2007, I ordered my 2008 Torch Red GT Coupe which has been a heck of a car. However, I knew I still wanted the Top of the line Mustang someday!

Fast forward to 2010, I am finally ready to get my Dream, a GT500! Not so fast, Uncle Sam had other plans and away to Afghanistan to serve for a year. Knowing I still wanted to get the GT500, it allowed me to use the year away to save up money, do more research, and prepare for when I get home.

While in Afghanistan, I did my research and my planning. My original thought was to order the car and have it waiting on me when I got off the plane at the end of my tour. However, I was able to make a few contacts a Ford Corp, Marcey Evans (Manufacturing Communications Manager at Ford Motor Company), and John Herthel (Ford VEV Division). Through our email contact back and forth, I asked if I could watch the car being built and to my surprise, it was approved! WOW, it is cool to drive a GT500, awesome to own a GT500, but watch it be built at AAI in Flatrock, MI now that’s a Dream! But that wouldn’t be everything I would do, they had some other things to see when I got to Dearborn as well.

With a future trip to AAI, I had to plan my order so it would not be built 8 weeks after I got home or where I would just miss it before getting there. August 3rd, 2011 was the mark on the wall for my deployment to be over so I decided that the first week of July would give me enough time, using the 6-8 weeks that it usually takes for cars to be built after being ordered (same with my 2008). I used my time to make sure that I would get the best deal. I used the Military Car ordering system as well as many dealers within two states of home. Of course right before I place my order, I see here in the forums and other information online about a shortage in Kona Blue and another saying the Electronics Package was “Built Out” for MY2012. Reassured by both Ford Corp and my Dealer on both of those options, my order went in to my local dealer, Gray Daniels Ford in Brandon, MS who beat everyone else’s price. Now we start the waiting game. Fortunately for me, time flies when you are in a combat zone and trying to get home.

Finally back in the U.S., at home, and catching up for a few days around the house so I thought I would check in with my dealer to see if a VIN has been assigned so we can check on the build date. Turns out, the VIN was already out, the order was at the plant and they projected the build for the very next day (August 11th). I immediately called Marcey at Ford to see what we could do. She checked on it and then called the next morning; it was too late in the process. I would miss the build. Dang It! With all we had planned and the offer still good, I decided to head on up to Dearborn and AAI anyway to visit AAI and a few other places. Fortunately, they held my car at the plant so that I would still get to see it there.

A few days later, on Sunday August 14th, I started my journey. My first stop was to Tupelo, MS. With this great trip ahead of me, I wanted to share it with a friend (who was also my boss from Afghanistan). We hopped in his 2008 GT500 and headed on up to Detroit, getting there Monday evening.

Day 1: Tuesday morning, August 16th, we started our two exciting days. At 8:30am, we met up with John from Ford’s Vehicle Evaluation and Verification (VEV) Division. We talked a few minutes, took care of some required paperwork, and headed on into the Dearborn Development Center (DDG). http://www.testprofessionals.com/DDC

First thing was an introduction to the folks working there, and then a tour of the facilities via a Raptor. We made it into the control tower, around the track (old Ford Airport), and then on to a little ride seeing the lay of the land and enjoying what the Raptor offered. The first Mustang event was an exciting trip around the wet pad with Dave, one of only 30 Tier 4 drivers in all of Ford. Of course, the only way to see the Mustang performance was in a Boss 302 LS with the Track Key in! WOW, amazing car! Both the sound and performance are awesome! You can really feel the rumble of the 302 with Track Key. After a few trips around the wet pad, we went on over to the Steering and Handling Course to see what she can do. Well needless say, the car will outperform most drivers!!

When we finished with the Boss on the track, we stopped by to see where the tires are tested before going on the track, followed up by the Experimental building where cars (both current and future) are being worked on. Sorry guys can’t talk about what I have seen!!! Next up we headed across the street into the Ford Motor Company grounds where we went to Building #4 to see some testing underway from environmental to interior.
Attached Thumbnails Living the GT500 Dream!!!-08-gt500.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-me-boss-ls.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-ford-hill.jpg  
Old 9/8/11, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Part 2: The Dream

When we finished with the Boss on the track, we stopped by to see where the tires are tested before going on the track, followed up by the Experimental building where cars (both current and future) are being worked on. Sorry guys can’t talk about what I have seen!!! Next up we headed across the street into the Ford Motor Company grounds where we went to Building #4 to see some testing underway from environmental to interior.

Around noon we were done in Dearborn and we headed on up to the Romeo Engine Plant. We were introduced to everyone at the plant, watched the safety video and took a small tour through the plant watching the big boys (6.2L Engines) being built. From there, we walked back to the Niche Line, birthplace of the 5.4L SC GT500 engine. I had the honor of meeting my engine builders, Pete and Larry, and I presented them with an American flag flown over Afghanistan. We did a quick tour, walking by the stations and seeing the Niche Line in operation. It was neat seeing all the Super Chargers in the bins ready for installation, as well as the final test on the engine making sure they are 100% before being shipped to AAI to be installed.

When we finished at Romeo Engine Plant, we had a short drive to the Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG). After introductions, we saw the vehicle bays where the vehicles are prepared, test results are read, and changes made before going back out the test. We then took a short drive out to the 5 mile High Speed track where we met Sal Gusmano, another one of Ford’s Tier 4 drivers, who put us in another Boss LS. This time, it was all about the speed, quickly going through the gears and up past 100 in no time. By the time we came out of the first turn, we were already at the Boss’ top speed of 155 MPH. We did 2 full laps each, what an experience! From there, John put us in an F150 and gave us a full tour of the MPG grounds, testing facilities, and a demo on some of the tests in the F150. Needless to say, Ford really tests all their vehicles and ensures we all have the best vehicles possible. I presented John with flag flown in Afghanistan as my appreciation for the hospitality and everything they did for me that day before leaving and heading back to the hotel. That ended Day 1.

Day 2: We started with yet another wonderful treat. We went to the SVT offices and were able to talk with several of the SVT Engineers, designers, and Program Manager for the Raptor and GT500. We saw some of the test vehicles that helped develop the GT500KR and current GT500. These guys live and breathe the Mustang, from in the office to their personal cars. After talking for about an hour or so, we went over to the Ford Racing to talk with a few of their folks as well, before heading on to AAI for our tour.

We arrived right on time at AAI and went on into the Lobby. Waiting for us was a group of veterans who worked there at AAI, as well as the Plant Manager, Ford Veterans Group Rep, and Marcey Evans. Before starting the plant tour, they unveiled my GT500 which was there in the lobby which was covered up. This was the first time for me to see my car, wow it is beautiful! I was presented the keys to my car by the AAI Plant Manager then I got in, cranked it up, and listened to her purr. From there, I looked around her, checking out the engine and the detail on the car. It was time to start the tour, but before we got started I presented Marcey with a flag for all she did for making this entire dream come true.

After a quick safety video, we headed out into the plant. First by the stamping machines, as we watched Mustang roof panels and rear quarter skins get stamped out. Next on into the Body section of the plant to watch the floor pans get welded up, then the body, doors installed, hoods on, and all the way up until they were ready for paint. We skipped the paint booth because of the clean room environment and time but caught the bodies coming fresh out of paint to the first station on the Trim line. We went line by line, watching the steps from wiring, to installing the dash board, right up to when the engine marries to the frame.

Due to time, we skipped about half the process and went on to where the cars come out of the wet test, to see if there are any leaks. That was the last step before the Quality Control line where each vehicle is fully inspected, tested, and ready to be shipped. In the back of the plant, we put on overall covers and went on into the striping room where the GT500’s received their stripes. Sitting there getting their stripes where two SVT package GT500’s and two regular GT500’s. It is neat to see how they stripe the cars. After receiving a GT500 Striping Certificate for my car, we went out the back door of the plant where they had moved my car.

It was time to see the 1.5 mile test track and they were going to let me ride along. We followed security out and then they did a safety lap. First out was an Orange Boss 302 that had my friend Greg in it, then my car with a Kona Blue 5.0 GT behind us. We went out and ran through the gears, feeling the acceleration the 5.4 had. WOW, this is awesome! After a few times around he pulled over, hopped out and said “Your Turn”. I actually got to drive my car at the Plant, on the Test Track! Now that is awesome! I ran her through the gears, feeling the power and new electronic steering. It is going to be amazing when I get her home.
Attached Thumbnails Living the GT500 Dream!!!-romeo-plant.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-gt500-gets-engine.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-my-car-aai.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-my-first-drive.jpg  

Last edited by Phantom26; 9/8/11 at 09:34 PM.
Old 9/8/11, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Final

When we finished they drove us around to the front of the plant to drop us off, the last time I will see my ride until it arrives at the dealership, hopefully just a few weeks away. After our goodbye’s, we headed with Dan of Ford’s Veterans Group up to the Rouge Plant where we got the tour of the F150’s. It is an open tour to everyone, and I recommend it for any and everyone who gets to go up to Dearborn. When the tour was over, we stopped by Ford Corp where we briefly saw SN #0001 on the 1994 and SN #0001 of the 2005 Model Mustangs. When the day was complete we headed to the hotel to prepare for our return.

Back home, I started the waiting. While waiting for my machine to arrive, I was able to sell my 2008 GT to prepare for the new arrival. Working with my dealership, we tracked the progress of my car as it was shipped by rail from AAI. It seemed like progress every day, except for a two day stop in Battle Creek, MI for an unknown reason. Finally it made it to Jackson, MS by rail on Friday September 2nd, just days before Tropical Storm Lee arrived and washed out the weekend. I drove by on Saturday and could see the auto railcars waiting to be unloaded but no movement by Sunday. I guess it was a blessing in disguise to have it protected in a rail car until all the rain and wind departed the area. On Tuesday, I went by the railcars to and from work to see them being slowly unloaded, but by that evening I knew I would not be getting it that day. No movement or arrival at the dealership by closing.

Finally on Wednesday September 7th, 2011 I received a call around 10am telling me it would be another day at the rail yard unless they wanted for the dealership to go pick it up. I really hated to have it out on the road without me driving, but agreed and my dealership went to pick it up. I was at the dealership by noon and we started the paperwork while they cleaned it up. They pulled it around and I looked it over before signing the paperwork at 1:30pm. She is officially mine!!! Back home in the garage for a full look over and then some pictures.

I was presented all my build paperwork from the plant, a couple of autographs from Carroll Shelby, some documentation from the Engine Builders, and a Striping Certificate from the Striping Team at AAI. That should start my documentation collection out well.

Order:
P8J GT500 Coupe
L6 Kona Blue
Q2 White Accent Inserts
88Q Recaro Leather Seats
58N Electronics Package
971 Full Vehicle Cover

More Updates when I can as the dream continues....
Attached Thumbnails Living the GT500 Dream!!!-gray-daniels.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-home.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-home-2.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-snake.jpg   Living the GT500 Dream!!!-documentation.jpg  

Living the GT500 Dream!!!-recaros.jpg  

Last edited by Phantom26; 9/8/11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 9/8/11, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome story and we seem to have the same taste in 500's. LOL
Old 9/8/11, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks!
Yes they are awesome machines!
Old 9/8/11, 09:33 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice car! Curious if you have any mod plans?
Old 9/8/11, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks!
Not yet, will see how it goes. I know I will probably find that One thing I cant live without, but right now I am happy with 100% stock. Ask me in a month, LOL.
Old 9/8/11, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story and a fun read.
Old 9/8/11, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow that was a great read. Congrats on your car.
Old 9/8/11, 11:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it!!
Old 9/9/11, 02:03 AM
Cobra Member

Holy smokes this is long, I'll read this another time since it's 1am in CA lol

Congrats on your new car!
Old 9/9/11, 02:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That's a great story and you have a gorgeous GT500.

Long may you live the dream
Old 9/9/11, 02:51 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Holy crap! That sounds like what would probably be the greatest day I could imagine. You're a lucky man.

What is that Niche Line document that has the engine tag on it?

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 9/9/11 at 02:52 AM.
Old 9/9/11, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

That is a great story. I am glad it all worked out so well for you and your new Mustang!

Enjoy it and post some follow up.

Old 9/9/11, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

Great story, congrats on the GT500 & thank you for your service to our Country!
Old 9/9/11, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

God Bless America, awesome story and a kick **** car too!
Old 9/9/11, 08:33 AM
GT Member

^same here. Thank you for your service to our great country. You deserve the gt500! Congrats and awesome story. Kona blue all the way!
Old 9/9/11, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on your Shelby,
Thanks for your service.
Old 9/9/11, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Beautiful car, and a great story. Welcome home and enjoy the ride!
Old 9/9/11, 02:07 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
THIS STORY IS AMAAAAAAZING!!!! Panthom26, Congratulations on your beautiful ride. This was the experience of a lifetime. I am thankful for what you do for this country and super happy you got to experience this amazing trip. Now, continue to enjoy your ride!

Deysha

Quick Reply: Living the GT500 Dream!!!