Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 07:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That SVT package is KING!
Old 5/26/10, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black with red stripes looks great! Prius drivers will wet themselves when they see this in the rear view mirror.
Old 5/26/10, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

Get us some stock dyno numbers!
Old 5/26/10, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
outstanding purchase!! I love the silver on the outside of the red stripes, just plain sex!! Car and color choice is perfect!!! Can you post some interior photos since you have Nav please
Thank you and I would be glad to get some Nav pictures. Is there anything specific you are looking for? (button layout screenshots, ?) Here's what I have on my list:

Pictures
- Interior (specifically Nav pictures)
- More underside pictures of the 'aero pan' and exhaust
- Engine shots
- Front H/E and shrouding

Driving Experience
- Overall impressions
- Exhaust sound video/comparison
- Front headrest removal (to clear helmets on race day)
- Launching (wheelhop, spin with the new tires and 'active' control)
- Mid Ohio lap times
- Stock dyno numbers
- Put the 20" wheels on the front and see if they fit and can be driven that way. (<-- still thinking over this request)

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Very nice looking car. It's the only SVT Package Color combo I like.
Thanks! It's my favorite one certainly.

Originally Posted by Automagically
That SVT package is KING!
What did the chief designer say? They thought like 30% of the cars would have the SVT PP? More like 80% LOL.

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Black with red stripes looks great! Prius drivers will wet themselves when they see this in the rear view mirror.
Thanks! And the smug mobile drivers can bark at the moon for all I care as long as they get the hell out of my way. I'm thinking of having the optional Ford Racing cow catcher installed to help them along.

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
Get us some stock dyno numbers!
Putting in on my list. How much break in do you guys think is warranted before pulling some numbers?

Last edited by 2007 GT/CS; 5/26/10 at 10:22 AM.
Old 5/26/10, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

That my friend is very niiiice. Heh I like the SVT package. I think the silver/gray, with red would look good as well. Hmmm I have not been in Columbus in a loooooong time. Proud Ohio State Alum though
Old 5/26/10, 10:03 PM
Cobra R Member

give it 1000 miles before a good stock dyno run.

and nice chris farley reference earlier lol
Old 5/27/10, 05:21 AM
V6 Member

Driving Impressions

Some Background

I purchased my current 2007 GT/CS in the fall of '06 and immediately threw away the warranty. First up was a change to the mufflers followed pretty quickly by the standard CAI and Tune upgrade, 4.10 gears, Hurst short throw, and an aluminum driveshaft. Installation of an intercooled Saleen twin screw happened within that first year (432 rwhp on its 'everyday' tune) and then we started down the long, sad, expensive road into building a reasonably capable weekend road racer while still using her as a daily driver 365/7.

Springs, adjustable dampers, solid jointed LCAs/UCA, swaybars, endlinks, 9.5" lightweight wheels and dual use BFG KDW tires on all four corners, ad nauseum.... Chasing (and catching) that elusive 'neutral handling', "predictable", "quick turn-in without being darty', and "brakes that won't melt" thing.

Have done some autocrossing and road racing in the time since and am very satisifed with what Ford built and I tinkered with. Needs mo' powah and taller gearing for that long back dog leg at Mid Ohio though .

So that's my 'control' in this little evaluation.

I picked up my 2011 GT500 with SVT Performance Pack from the dealer on Tuesday night and perfomed these tests on Wednesday night. As Patricia Heaton once said about her four sons being born in quick succession, "My husband is no gentleman".

Launching

After catching up on my forum and media site reading (Edmund's, Autoblog, etc.) seemed everyone agreed that the best times for 2010s were a result of launching with the TC on and it didn't matter what you had the ESC set to. Fair enough.

9:00 PM, 77 degress, on a deserted road in Mexico....

First launch - We'll engage the clutch fairly aggressively a split second after coming off idle and mashing the gas.

Whoa! Bogged it.

Bogged it? On street tires? This never happened to me with my GT. When I had 3.55 gears, the BFG KDWS all seasons were hard enough that they would just skate. When I had good rubber (KDWs) and suspension mods but 4.10s and 10 lbs. of boost, I could still blow those tires off at will. Definitely took some finesse to get a decent 60'.

Hey, maybe these 'G:2s' are a little sticky and/or this performance suspension has got something for the straight line guys (or both)?

Second launch - Take it to 2,500 and again nail it and step out of the clutch quickly. Spin but then grab. Some good, usable power band in first gear. Hit second, spin, tries to drift a little left, grabs, corrected. Really pushed back into the seat as we climb towards 6,000 RPM. Bang. Third. Not a peep just more smooth thrust.

Third launch - Hold it at 3,500 and side step the clutch. Wanted to see what a more aggressive start felt like. Predictably, we spun through first, peddled it a bit to catch second and recovered nicely enough but probably not the best technique to be employed at Mexican stoplights.

Here is the best part:

Wheel hop non-existent. Tried a few more short 60s to see if I could find the bunny. Nothing. Am I willing to pronounce the platform cured? No. This is a single example and ultimately the physics say that if you have rotational give in that stick axle, you can still end up with that shuddering hook-and-release cycle we all dread. Theoretically.

See this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBK0PORlyBc

If I had someone filming me, that is what the second launch would have looked like. Two sets of short burn marks and the Shelby rapidly disappearing into the twilight. No great skill required - just the basics. I call this myth, "Confirmed". Nice job Ford.

Is it a tenth faster than the 2010? Who knows? I never drove a 2010 or any other S197 based Cobra so I can't say. Compared to my 2007 GT/CS, the Shelby is a cakewalk to get rolling quickly. Is there more in it? Certainly. As you would expect, experimenting with various launch techniques for a given set of conditions would yield that optimal 60'.

Also untested is whether putting some additional heat into the G:2s would contribute or detract from their performance. We'll have to wait for some measured tests for that answer.

Power was smooth throughout the band althhough it seem like everything really begins taking deep breaths at 3,000 to redline. An interesting comparison with my '07: With the throttle to the firewall and approaching warp speed, you can feel the that the GT500 is still loafing where my blown 3V is laboring a bit.

Exhaust

Cruising along produces that distinctive 4V rich, deep burble that's just loud enough to be it's own music and to turn heads as you cruise through town.

There is nothing 'nasally' or 'raspy' about the sound (I have a friend with an '07 Shelby GT and *that* car sounds raspy )

Putting your foot in it immediately invokes a bass authoritative roar accompanied by that trademark supercharger whine. Perfect.

There is nothing I personally would change about this system and I would be more concerned that modifying some of the upstream pieces (headers, h-pipe, etc.) would compromise that great sound.

Handling

Excellent job balancing ride quality against handling (at least as far as can be determined on the back roads). Taking marked 25 mph 90 degree corners at 50 was not scary. The tires began to talk to you near the limit but, being less than 3 hours of total seat time in the car, I was not going to find out where the break was. You'll have to wait for a full report on the '911 Assist' feature in Sync for some furture episode (and a future reviewer).

Steering was responsive and push was pretty minimal, which, given the understeer safety margin the lawyers must demand from the engineers, is at a tolerable level. Roll was also acceptable. My '07 is a little compromise, heim jointed monster that the wife refuses to ride in. That car has all that understeer nonsense dialed out of it. The 2011 GT500 is not far away with that beefy rear sway bar and what feel like decently matching spring and damper rates. Still, I can see some minor tweaking in this car's future.

Speaking of the new EPAS, I'm still not sure about this. The '07 gives me a lot of feedback through the wheel as to what, exactly, is going on with the front tires at any given moment. EPAS not so much and, frankly, I found it a little disconcerting. It's hard for me to feel good about a corner entry when that steering wheel isn't talking to the hands. I realize this is contrary to what some magazine reviews are reporting. <shrug>

Shifter needs work and the stupid door covering the drink holder wobbles under your forearm. Note to Ford: Put a latch on that thing!

Sweepers were fun as you'd expect and, surprisingly, power application out of a turn was smooth. My '07, not so much, until I added the Watts link which 90% solved that little trouble area (have a Detroit True Trac to take car of that other 10%) and I am a huge fan of a Watts vs. adjustable panhard bars for combination street/track use. So I was all set to order another Watts link for the GT500 as one of my early mods. Now I'm back on the fence. How much is that Watts *really* needed? Requires more investigation.

The brake/tire combination is superb right out of the box. One of the new Cobra's fine points. Feels like the car is ready to stop in whatever rediculous distance you demand. Pedal action is even and linear with good feedback.

Another subjective observation if I may: I thought the '07 was pretty stiff (not much body flex). If that's true, then the Shelby feels like it was milled from a solid billet block. Wow, just wow.

So is it 9 seconds faster at VIR as is being hotly debated? Dunno. Could be. It's certainly fast and she seems to like it a little rough. Time will tell if that is a standard and repeatable performance.

Overall: She's not a ballerina, she's a freaking amazon. Not my first choice for one minute courses around the cones in the college parking lot but I can not wait to dance her around a real track.

Ride Quality

In a word: Nice. Better than I ever expected in something that handles this well and doesn't come with a snooty German pedigree. Where crossing the railroad tracks is an excercise in exploring the bump stops with the GT, the GT500 handles these normal imperfections with some grace and is smooth like buddah on good surfaces. I got it on a real lunar landscape of a road however and that was distinctly unpleasant. I guess there is only so far you can make a compromise go.

The car is very quiet (with the windows up). That new sound dampening doing its job. No squeaks, no rattles, very little transmitted NVH, engine or exhaust noise. But when a car sounds this good, who the hell wants to roll the windows up?

Miscellaneous

In my short cruise this evening, not one but two girls (humans this time) stopped to take pictures of the car as I drove past. One was on a skatebord in the crosswalk in front of me. She couldn't seem to decide whether it was better to get out of the road or take the picture. In retrospect it was probably just me and not the car at all. Happens all the time.

On the negative side - I also got to see some guys drive like idiots trying to look at the Cobra in traffic. My first experience with this. Unnerving.

The footwell still gets hot. Not roasty hot like my '07 does (I have to ride with the A/C on directed to my feet in the summer just to stand it) but still something Ford should work on. C'mon it's $55K.

The stereo still leaves something to be desired. Opposite to my normal experience with factory systems, I turned the treble all the way up just to get the midrange and then only clicked the bass up one notch otherwise it totally overwhelmed everything. Important safety tip: change the DSP setting to 'driver' from the default 'all seats'. Big improvement.

I'm not seeing any heatsoak issues yet but the evening temperatures were moderate. Is that extra 40% going to do it for most or will most still step up to Afco or Revan? Time will tell there too (plus some testing with a good OBD2 based gauge to monitor temps and timing retard).

Well gentlemen, I'll close it here. There's a lot more to tell but I'd like to get this posted plus leave something for the next guy. Please forgive the typos, bad grammar, and stupid metaphors. Hopefully we'll get more learned and lettered input as the cars get out into more enthusiast and vendor hands.
Old 5/27/10, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2007 GT/CS
Driving Impressions
Wow, that was very informative, very nice review indeed... Thx Buddy !
Old 5/27/10, 09:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Good write-up. Really enjoyed it and you're making me lust for a GT500 again.

And when you're ready to upgrade that stereo, hit me up for some ideas!
Old 5/28/10, 01:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
That my friend is very niiiice. Heh I like the SVT package. I think the silver/gray, with red would look good as well. Hmmm I have not been in Columbus in a loooooong time. Proud Ohio State Alum though
Thanks and if you're ever in the neightborhood you should check out www.buckeyestangs.com for the local happenings.

Originally Posted by Fazm
give it 1000 miles before a good stock dyno run.

and nice chris farley reference earlier lol
Got it. Tom from ARH just posted his stock 2011 numbers on another board. He got 475.7 rwhp/459.2rwtq with about 400 miles on the clock.

Originally Posted by RickyD
Wow, that was very informative, very nice review indeed... Thx Buddy !
Originally Posted by laserred38
Good write-up. Really enjoyed it and you're making me lust for a GT500 again.

And when you're ready to upgrade that stereo, hit me up for some ideas!
My pleasure guys.

Will do on those stereo ideas. Was thinking of upgrading the speakerage to some Kickers as just a quick hit but I'll probably live with the system as is for a while and see if I can get any more 'adjustment' out of it.
Old 7/23/10, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is one remarkably sweet automobile. I'm completely jealous! I just sat in one last week at my local ford dealership and it was everything I could do not to sign the paper. In this economy I just don't see it.

The only thing about the car that I don't absolutely covet is the skinnny stripes. Don't get it. Oh well some guys like small breasts. Go figure. BEAUTIFUL CAR!
Old 7/27/10, 08:25 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n

... The only thing about the car that I don't absolutely covet is the skinnny stripes. Don't get it. Oh well some guys like small breasts. Go figure. BEAUTIFUL CAR!
Although the wider stripes are a good fit and appropriate retro it was time for a progressive change. I prefer the skinny stripes being more conservative in not covering as large an area of the car and attracting less attention.

As for the smaller cup holders we can agree to disagree or we can walk ten paces. Time and location to be determined.

Old 8/10/10, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

Beautiful GT500 color/stripe combination!