Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Current GT-500 owners - How does it compare to the 2011/12 5.0 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/11, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current GT-500 owners - How does it compare to the 2011/12 5.0 GT?

Since I haven't yet found a dealer that allows test drives (but haven't tried too hard yet), I have no way to know;

1) Acceleration/throttle resp. Vs 5.0
2) Clutch & shifter feel of the tremec, I have read some gripes about the shifter throws being too short/easy to miss?
3) Too easy to break the rear end loose during 'spirited' driving... Is there such a thing?
4) Either really decent or horrible MPG
5) Buyers remorse. Even with A/D/X plan pricing you are looking at 47k for a coupe with just Nav. Way more if you want a 'vert and/or SVTPP, which gets you over 50k in a hurry. That's a lot of coin for something that is going to lose 10-15k in value in 12-24 months.
6) Shoes, Holy expensive rubber Batman! I understand you gotta pay to play, this aint you grandma's Hyundai. A set of Goodyear Supercars vs Pirellis on the 5.0 is a good chunk of change.
7) Insurance? Does in run a lot more?

What about the 'wow' factor? My wife's black 5.0 is a real attention getter, does it go over the top with a brand new GT-500? The boss guys have a 'Boss moment of the day' . Do Shelby owners have similar experiences?

I bet there are factors I missed, any feedback appreciated.
Old 7/9/11, 03:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Gone in 4.1 seconds.

2) Clutch & shifter feel of the tremec, I have read some gripes about the shifter throws being too short/easy to miss?
The clutch is firm, not as as much foot pressure as the Terminators but heavier than the 5.0. Shifts are crisp and precise, have yet to miss or grind a gear at any RPM.

3) Too easy to break the rear end loose during 'spirited' driving... Is there such a thing?
All that's needed is time to get used to it. If it's wet, forget it. If dry, welcome to happy hour.

4) Either really decent or horrible MPG.
Depends on the level of fun. It is not the ideal or logical choice if counting pennies.

5) Buyers remorse. Even with A/D/X plan pricing you are looking at 47k for a coupe with just Nav. Way more if you want a 'vert and/or SVTPP, which gets you over 50k in a hurry. That's a lot of coin for something that is going to lose 10-15k in value in 12-24 months.
See # 4.

6) Shoes, Holy expensive rubber Batman! I understand you gotta pay to play, this aint you grandma's Hyundai. A set of Goodyear Supercars vs Pirellis on the 5.0 is a good chunk of change.
The cost is reasonable, visit TireRack. If in doubt, see # 4.

An additional annual 20 - 25%.

What about the 'wow' factor? My wife's black 5.0 is a real attention getter, does it go over the top with a brand new GT-500? The boss guys have a 'Boss moment of the day' . Do Shelby owners have similar experiences?
Who cares. When the choice is admiration vs maximun performance the choice is clear although it depends on one's priorities. It's either looking for looks or keeping the tires planted.

The exhaust note is perfect when driving normal and loud enough when it counts. There is no drone or flowmaster pickup sound. The PP does makes the $$$ difference worth it. Best of all, where all previous Mustangs always are shortchanged somewhere along the line, the GT500 is the exception. No mods required. It is already upgraded, that's the beauty of it. The only indecision and second thoughts comes from choosing the appropriate and fitting color flavor for one's taste.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 7/9/11 at 11:48 PM.
Old 7/9/11, 03:45 PM

You really feel the difference when the boost kicks in.

Took a little while to get the feel for the short-throw considering I had a 2010 GT with a 5-speed and also have a 2007 Corvette with 6-speed. It's a very firm shift with an audible click, but havent' had any problems with 1-2 at various rpms.

Any car can get away from you if you apply the power at the wrong time. We do our "spirited driving" at a HP driving school and you learn a lot about how to both respect and use the power at the correct times to keep the backend where it's supposed to be. You can't be stupid with this car or it will bite you!

4) Either really decent or horrible MPG
Worse than the 2010 GT and the 07 Corvette, better than the 2010 Expedition.

Everything loses value the moment you drive it off the lot. Actually, this car cost less than our King Ranch Expedition and way less than our limited edition Corvette. You can't put a price on happiness! This car is a blast to drive no matter where you're going.

Good rubber on the road isn't cheap. Just pulled the F1 Supercars to use strictly on the track and put on some all seasons since the GT500 is my daily driver. Set of 4 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires ran 1,072. That's about average for tires that carry a "high" speed rating.

$180 more per year than the 2010 Mustang GT premium I had.

It gets a lot of looks, but most HP cars do. It just makes a really nice and comfortable car to drive on long trips, while still being able to take it to the track and "kick off the Sunday shoes."
Old 7/9/11, 06:17 PM
GT Member

I was convinced I needed a gt500 when I went to the dealer and they didn't have one so they had me test drive an '11 GT with the brembo 3.73 package. I was impressed with the power and the accelleration though I really didn't like being forced into 4th (2nd skip)gear in non-spirited driving. I noticed a little floating feeling when switching lanes on the highway. The GT500's power never seems to end no matter what gear 1-4, 5 and 6 seem to be geared more for economical driving. I've seen similar 1/4 mile times posted by GT members...so who knows, with meaty tires I assume the gt500 would out accellerate. According to the car I'm getting 17mpg's and I haven't reset since I got it (has 4k miles). I've griped about the shifting but the more I drive it the more I get used to it and like it. I take the car on curvy roads on the way home from work time to time and the car is very precise and allows you to keep it in a high gear if you choose and still power out of corners faster than most. Suspension seems more at home when you are pushing it than daily street driving but it is still very comfortable to commute in. I haven't figured out what I'll do yet for tires... I may get a second set of wheels for soft-n-sticky's! I originally wanted Grabber blue with red stripes but they only offer white with SVTPP (I believe) so I was thinking some red wheels might look cool...or tacky...I havent decided yet.

Mine is grabber blue so it seems to get enough attention for me...I even notice people roll down their windows when I pass so they can hear the exhaust (I assume). I have noticed that less people know what the car is than I thought, I have had people tell me they have a buddy with the supercharged version of my car...

Insurance is $200/6mos more than my 07 dodge Ram...seemed fair to me.

As for buyers remorse...None yet for me...the car is just so B@dA$$ I can't help but love it. The color seems to excite my brain, lol. Just love it.

Ohh and it is easy to break the tires loose, in 70deg weather I've broken them loose on the highway with traction control on. In 90deg weather it sticks much better. With traction control I think it kinda acts like a newbie driver launch control...rev it up...dump the clutch, tires spin then the traction control limits the power and you're on your way! Haha, found that out trying to take off fast. It is just a fun car...I'm sure GT owners think the same. I like the enthusiasm behind the boss and I like the car but I'm still in favor of the gt500.

Last edited by 944withnos; 7/23/11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 7/9/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Great replies so far, thanks. Gave me some good reading on my iphone during this camping trip. Glad to hear the trans seems to be a good one. I am thinking of a nekkid job2 sterling gray with nav, or maybe a leftover '11 that is black w/black stripe like my avatar.
Old 7/10/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
Gone in 4.1 seconds.

The clutch is firm, not as as much foot pressure as the Terminators but heavier than the 5.0. Shifts are crisp and precise, have yet to miss or grind a gear at any RPM.

All that's needed is time to get used to it. If it's wet, forget it. If dry, welcome to happy hour.

4) Either really decent or horrible MPG.
Depends on the level of fun. It is not the ideal or logical choice if counting pennies.

See # 4.

The cost is reasonable, visit TireRack. If in doubt, see # 4.

An additional annual 20 - 25%.

Who cares. When the choice is admiration vs maximun performance the choice is clear although it depends on one's priorities. It's either looking for looks or keeping the tires planted.

The exhaust note is perfect when driving normal and loud enough when it counts. There is no drone or flowmaster pickup sound. The PP does makes the $$$ difference worth it. Best of all, where all previous Mustangs always are shortchanged somewhere along the line, the GT500 is the exception. No mods required. It is already upgraded, that's the beauty of it. The only indecision and second thoughts comes from choosing the appropriate and fitting color flavor for one's taste.
Re 4) I am not counting pennies per se, but with my wifes 5.0 I can drop into the teens for mpg if i get on the throttle for every shift OR get up to 28.5 mpg on the xway going for max economy. This isnt a huge deal for me now as my DD is a nice 97 Marquis so I have an alternative should gas prices spike...

And yeah, I'm familiar with tire rack and tire warehouses for V or Z rated rubber. Just part of the many factors which go into the purhase decision.
Old 7/10/11, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Re 4) I am not counting pennies per se...
Notice my entire reply is specific in not being directed personally but in a general term. I assume when a question is posted answers should be to the point without being overly enthusiastic since a decision might be influenced by comments.

The down side of the GT500 is the cost of premium gas, soft rubber tires, synthetic oil changes, and other routine maintenance. It does have a very healthy appetite for gourmet goodies.

The up side is a solid performance car with tons of fun.
Old 7/11/11, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

I had no problem at all with your replies, all of which were insightful and to the point. Just wanted to further the discussion and expand on your reply. I had forgotten that the Shelby requires prem gas, whereas the 5.0 allows the use of reg unleaded...

At this point I still think its a coin flip as to whether I decide on a Boss or Shelby, kind of a nice 'problem' to have =). Let's see, the best all around Mustang ever (from the factory) or the much improved aluminum block supercharged thrill machine?

Btw I recall that it was Car & Driver that b1tched about the shifter during the last 'Lightning Lap' article.
Old 7/11/11, 06:30 PM

The only way to make a solid decision is to have the two models side by side and be well informed on each's pros and cons. The decision will be simple. FYI, my plan was to get a Boss 302 and decided on a '12 SVTPP w/Recaros. I will trade the Bullitt in order to drive a GT500 at all times. One can say I am sold on the GT500.

On behalf of the GT500, here is a short review in case you have not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaZ-3pySft0

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 7/11/11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 7/11/11, 11:10 PM
GT Member

That video is pretty good! I was forced to buy my car without a test drive... I think the shifter feel is way better than the GT's. I do think it takes getting used to. A big part is that it accelerates so quick it really rushes you to shift. You do get a 3yr warranty to help you not worry about it. Though that sucks if you have to leave your beast somewhere other than your garage.
The comparison I saw still had the gt500 with a faster lap time over a LS Boss... but if you go off numbers for your choice you'll just drive yourself crazy...seems like there will always be a better/faster car somewhere. Plus it is all driver experience and confidence that wins races at this level.
Old 7/12/11, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

I test drove only a 5.0, as the dealer would not allow me to drive a GT500. The best bang for the buck is the 5.0, for sure. Nthing beats the 5.0 at this price.....but:

if you're planning to make a lot of modifications on your 5.0, you're probably better go for the GT500 since most of the important modifications are done.

For me the tremec on the GT500 gives a much better feeling than the 5.0. The shifting is short and direct, even stiff once in a while, I love that !

The fuel economy is exeptionnal for 550 hp.....I achieve 10.0 l/100 km on Highway crusing, it's not too much.....of course I get 18-20 l/100 km on spirited driving which is normal.

My insurance cost is lower than for the 5.0 vert I was planning ot buy. The GT500 is rare on the road, and there's less claims for this car than for the normal GT....amazing is'nt ?

And eve if you spend 20k$ on a regular 5.0 in modifications,you'll never have the exclusivity of a Shelby with handbuilt engine.
Old 7/13/11, 02:31 PM

I test drove a manual 5.0L and a GT500 back to back. The GT500 immediately won me over and I never looked back.

It was definitely worth the premium over the 5.0. Oh, the insurance was cheaper as well!
Old 7/15/11, 09:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Y'know I think a big factor here also are the dynamics of the GT500. Even with the lighter block on the 2011+ GT500's you've still got a heavy engine up front and no matter how you slice the pie, the GT and the Boss are going to be more nimble on thier toes no matter what, so....

If your a person who appreicates cars that place a premium on low polar moment of inertia, the GT500's road manners might wear on you after a bit. However if you can look past that, they are just flat out awesome in every other respect (well except maybe getting off the line) and are pretty competent handling cars for 99.99999% of the driving 99.99999% people do on the street.

Without a doubt in my mind, the are the ultimate factory Mustang street cars.
Old 7/23/11, 10:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
Y'know 2011+ GT500's you've still got a heavy engine up front and no matter how you slice the pie, the GT and the Boss are going to be more nimble on thier toes no matter what, so....
Except the performance numbers don't back up your assumption. The GT500 is faster to accelerate, has higher skip pad numbers, and is quicker around the track than even the Boss LS.
If you want the absolute baddest Mustang out there then it's the GT500.
Old 7/23/11, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer

Except the performance numbers don't back up your assumption. The GT500 is faster to accelerate, has higher skip pad numbers, and is quicker around the track than even the Boss LS.
I agree, but you'll never convince most of them. The Boss is the shiny new toy and they want it to be the best and they're not going to hear otherwise.
Old 7/23/11, 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I agree, but you'll never convince most of them. The Boss is the shiny new toy and they want it to be the best and they're not going to hear otherwise.
Don't get me wrong. I think the Boss is a great car and it's great that Ford keep pushing the performance envelope. But it only makes sense that the GT500 was going to stay the Top Dog. Ford wasn't going make the Shelby look foolish by having a lower priced mustang beat it.

Now I would say that in a multi lap track setting the Boss would probably start to have the edge because the GT500 would start to suffer from heat soak.
So for a small percentage of people (those track racing the car) the Boss would be the best choice.
But for me it's the Shelby.
Old 7/23/11, 08:21 PM

I suggest we refrain from gloating on comps among our own. There is no need to create a rift.

If there is one thing I noticed in our Boss bothers is they are very gracious for the most part, probably more than we are and certainly more than other model groups. They are happy, we are happy, and it's what counts.
Old 7/23/11, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
I suggest we refrain from gloating on comps among our own. There is no need to create a rift.

If there is one thing I noticed in our Boss bothers is they are very gracious for the most part, probably more than we are and certainly more than other model groups. They are happy, we are happy, and it's what counts.
Add those of us with 2010 GTs to that non-compete agreement.
Old 7/23/11, 11:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a choice between the Boss and the GT500. I just personally preferred the Boss. I have nothing against the GT500. love the styling and the big brute engine. Honestly, I didn't want the big brute engine. My love since I was a kid was a Boss 302 like my uncle had. His was Grabber Blue and probably the reason I had a fascination with the color. For me it came down to what I really wanted.... the Boss 302.

Both cars are fantastic in their own right and you really can't got wrong with either can you?
Old 7/24/11, 02:35 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Its not an assumption, the GT500 needs a track that places an emphasis on power (like VIR, the 'ring, and Laguna), put it on something tight where the car cant use its power and has to rotate alot and its a different story. On a slalom, the GT500 even has a tough time distancing itself from the plebian GT and loses out to the Boss.

The GT500's better skid pad numbers are a function of its second gen GY supercar tires, they just stick alot better than the Pirellis on the GT and the Boss. Put the Goodyear on the Boss or the GT and the GT500's skid pad performance will disapper.

IMO, how the GT500 accomplishes its business isn't bad or worse compared to its stablemates, its just a different type of Mustang that eschews finesse and embraces brute force.

Quick Reply: Current GT-500 owners - How does it compare to the 2011/12 5.0 GT?