Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

1st to 2nd gear grinding - who has it?

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/11, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll post the parts list of what was swapped out later... The repair bill is at home.
Old 9/16/11, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.. Was trying to get everything final before posting. I picked the car up on the 3rd

On the transmission... I *think* it's fixed... The grind before they did the work was like hitting a hard wall. Screamed "something's broke in here" if that makes any sense... I was NEVER able to make the 1-2 in high revs. Now, I can do it, but I have still grinded. It feels more like when I'd grind in my old GT - I did something off, like not get the clutch down enough, etc... So it's better... I am thinking it's time for an MGW.

On the car itself. ARGH... You were right BP... I didn't even have to go under the car... There were two dings - one on each rear quarter panel! My driver's seat power lift no longer worked, and there is significan marring in my passenger seat. I took the car back for them to look at. My advisor accepted all four items and we scheduled me to give them the car when I picked up my STA (I dropped the Adrenalin off when I picked up the Shelby). SO I swapped the cars out this past week. Spoke to the advisor today, He said they're working on the car now... He then passed me to the Asst. Mgr, whom I've known for a while... He said they are fixing the seat and the dings (though he said he doesn't believe they did that) but he won't fix the passenger seat leather...
I let the call end and proceeded to call Cynthia. Unfortunately, she said she can't "MAKE" them fix the seat - which would need to have at the very least the bottom leather replaced. I will talk to them about it again... There's marring on both pieces, but the bottom is worse than the back. Maybe I can get them to meet me half way and fix one part... F(*&ing BullS(*t
**** that pisses me off. What do they care its not theres? Can you tell me what dealer that was so I can avoid them? hahaha...j/k

But seriously, I know how you feel, had a similar experience happen 2 me. A couple of months after I got mine the glassroof sunshade broke. After seeing the nightmares my buddy went through when taking in his SVT Contour for service I hesitated but finally gave in & had the Ford dealer repair it. Well got her back with scratched up interior panels, scuffed up head rests & these white markings on the door panel & steering column that I can't seem 2 remove.

I've even seen the service bay of an Audi deership where an R8 had it's seats sitting right on the hood of it without even something to protect the paint. Unfortunately when something is not ours we seem not to care for it as if it were.
Old 9/17/11, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

If you are grinding 1-2 shift once in a while there may still be a little hope here for you, but if they grind all the time your synchronizer is wiped out most likely. I have gone through 3 sets of synchros in the 69,000 miles I have owned this car. the first two sets were covered by warranty, but the last were not. The solution to this problem is not a brand new short throw shifter (although it will help with the 2-3 shift without a doubt, and make the shifting feel much more positive). get a fluid transfer pump and pump enough fluid out of the tranny until the level is about 3/4 inch below the fill line. the problem is the fill level of the tranny basically promoted aeration of the oil wihch makes it less effective in its viscosity, and causes the synchros to slip more thus causing the gears to not mesh and grind. Do this and save your synchros. problem solved. Take it from a guy who has been through the mill with the crappy little tr-3650.
Old 9/17/11, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.. Was trying to get everything final before posting. I picked the car up on the 3rd

On the transmission... I *think* it's fixed... The grind before they did the work was like hitting a hard wall. Screamed "something's broke in here" if that makes any sense... I was NEVER able to make the 1-2 in high revs. Now, I can do it, but I have still grinded. It feels more like when I'd grind in my old GT - I did something off, like not get the clutch down enough, etc... So it's better... I am thinking it's time for an MGW.

On the car itself. ARGH... You were right BP... I didn't even have to go under the car... There were two dings - one on each rear quarter panel! My driver's seat power lift no longer worked, and there is significan marring in my passenger seat. I took the car back for them to look at. My advisor accepted all four items and we scheduled me to give them the car when I picked up my STA (I dropped the Adrenalin off when I picked up the Shelby). SO I swapped the cars out this past week. Spoke to the advisor today, He said they're working on the car now... He then passed me to the Asst. Mgr, whom I've known for a while... He said they are fixing the seat and the dings (though he said he doesn't believe they did that) but he won't fix the passenger seat leather...
I let the call end and proceeded to call Cynthia. Unfortunately, she said she can't "MAKE" them fix the seat - which would need to have at the very least the bottom leather replaced. I will talk to them about it again... There's marring on both pieces, but the bottom is worse than the back. Maybe I can get them to meet me half way and fix one part... F(*&ing BullS(*t
I'm glad it's working better but it sounds like they were really rough with your car. Probably why I'm going to hold off for awhile and see if the grind is totally resolved in the 2013 refresh.
Old 9/19/11, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I did not get to pick the car up on Saturday.. Mom came home from the hospital so spent the day with the family instead... My brother in law is going to drop me over there tomorrow after work - works out better since the asst. mgr that said they won't repair the seat will be there. My wife's family has been going to this dealer for their last 9 cars over 10 years... This might be the last visit from my wife and I.

I'm almost scared to see the "paint repair" that was done on the quarter panels, especially since the driver's quarter had a nice dent to it.
Old 9/27/11, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

So no love on the seat, basically told me since they don't inspect the interior when they check cars in, they can't take responsibilty. SO - )(^(*%&%(&*#$%^$#$%^ - you all get the idea.
Chip repair looks like they hired my 11 y/o cousin with some crayola markers. Again, I was told that they were so minor that the attendant that did the check in could have missed them when I brought her in the first time... SO call me a liar again.. Nice...

Here's the kicker and why I'm done with this dealership forever. I get my paper that shows the work they did. On it, it states they checked the tires and the are OK... I get in the car to see the low tire pressure light on - REALLY?!?! I check the tires and they are ALL2-3 lbs low except the front left which is reading 28 LBS. WTF did they check? I'm convinced they put **** on the papers to make it look like they do work.

Also, they couldn't "FIND" the squeak that I pinpointed to the front right suspension. They must be deaf since I hear it over my music. Useless friggin' people... Hassett of Wantagh on Sunrise Highway in Long Island. I've known for years that sales are douchebags... Service has finally joined them.
Old 9/29/11, 11:55 AM

Thanx for the heads up...I'll be sure to avoid them.

I've either witnessed or experienced something bad from just about every dealer within the five boros...who can we trust with our cars? Have you had any personal experience with any other dealer in NYC?
Old 9/30/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Stay away from Dana in Staten Island. Shaggy Crooks. I am going to give Bay Ridge Ford in Brooklyn a try as they are new and closest to my house at this point. First I plan to set some time with the Service Mgr and lay out my expectations before I even bring a car in...
Old 9/30/11, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford gave me a Premium maintenence plan free of charge when the trans parts had been delayed in shipping in early August... If not for that (Free oil changes, wipers and a bunch of other stuff included) over the next 3 years, I'd tell the dealers where to go and take care of the car at my friends shop ourselves. I have a guy that works the parts counter at a dealership, so I could get parts cheap if needed... Come to think of it, I wonder if his service would take better care of my cars since I'm a friend of a fellow employee. It's a ride into NJ, so I don't know if I want to.
Old 10/3/11, 11:29 AM

Ha...never knew there was another one in Brooklyn. I thought Premier Ford was the only one. Please let me know how it goes being that I'm also looking for a place I can trust. Thanx.
Old 10/25/11, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's the Tremec forum I found while looking for information
http://www.tremec.com/performance/fo...hread.php?t=26

The camaro5 threads listed here talk about Carbon fiber ring blockers as a possible fix... Need to call dealer back to see what they put in my trans since it still sux.
Old 10/25/11, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed500
Ha...never knew there was another one in Brooklyn. I thought Premier Ford was the only one. Please let me know how it goes being that I'm also looking for a place I can trust. Thanx.
Red,
I still haven't called Bay Ridge Ford... My wife's Edge is due for an Oil Change in about a month.. Will see them for this as the first thing they touch... Will talk to Serv. Mgr at that time... Will let you know the results.

Can't wait for Hassett to call me to follow up on the EDGE (we bought it from them), so I can tell them to go scratch...

And the Shelby is still squeaking like an old dump truck.
Old 11/16/11, 09:20 PM

Hey Warped,

Thanks for keeping me up to date. Sure hope the Bay Ridge one doesn't let us down.
Old 11/20/11, 05:29 PM

I have noticed this problem in my 11 gt500 and I'm more nervous than anything to have any dealership work on it since it only has 400 miles I originally thought it was driver error until I have read many other people with there cars having a grind from 1st to 2nd gear at higher rpm I just really don't know what to do since I don't want the car to get beat up at the dealership by some worker that just dose not care thanks for all the info in this thread tho
Old 11/20/11, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelby11
I have noticed this problem in my 11 gt500 and I'm more nervous than anything to have any dealership work on it since it only has 400 miles I originally thought it was driver error until I have read many other people with there cars having a grind from 1st to 2nd gear at higher rpm I just really don't know what to do since I don't want the car to get beat up at the dealership by some worker that just dose not care thanks for all the info in this thread tho
IMO it is driver error, but throw in an MGW shifter and you should be alright.
Old 11/20/11, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Really? Throw it in there? What if I toss it in there? Or chuck it in?
Old 11/20/11, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Really? Throw it in there? What if I toss it in there? Or chuck it in?
Whatever you have to do, just get it in there. LOL
Old 11/20/11, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Tried 1-2 at about 5k RPMs for the first time today - went right in. Car has 700 miles on it. I'd prefer a deeper "feel" to the engagement on the fast shift, but it did engage without a hitch.
Old 11/23/11, 07:40 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shelby11
I have noticed this problem in my 11 gt500 and I'm more nervous than anything to have any dealership work on it since it only has 400 miles I originally thought it was driver error until I have read many other people with there cars having a grind from 1st to 2nd gear at higher rpm
Hey shelby11,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to escalate this for you. Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis and then PM me with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer so I can help.

Deysha
Old 11/23/11, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
It's not driver error but if it makes you feel better keep thinking that. I've had a few drivers of various skill levels drive my car and run into the grind.

Last edited by bpmurr; 11/23/11 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd gear grinding - who has it?