Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

13 GT500 question

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/12, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 GT500 question

How can you tell difference in pics of the 13 GT500 with and without track pack?
Old 1/26/12, 10:15 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The MSRP?

From Motor Trend. Hope this helps.

"... Ford will also be offering two performance packages for the Shelby GT500. The Performance Package will include a Torsen limited-slip differential, and an SVT-designed Bilstein suspension system. The Bilstein suspension includes electronically adjustable dampers with two driver-selectable modes: Normal and Sport. Ford says Normal will allow for a more comfortable ride in shoddy road conditions, while Sport will tighten the suspension up, further minimizing body roll and pitch at the track.

Also available when you tick the Performance Package option is the Track Package, which builds on the Performance Package by adding an external engine cooler, rear differential cooler, and a transmission cooler to fight heat soak in high speed and track conditions..."
Old 1/26/12, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
This is one of those things I'm agonizing about. It's going to add thousands to the final price, but there is no way I'd take it on a track without the external coolers. Which means I'll probably end up biting the bullet and getting it. The pp is a must regardless.
Old 1/26/12, 12:59 PM
GT Member

I will be adding the PP but not the TP, I don't plan to do any serious track racing and SVT says the external cooler is not as good for the street (oil temps come up quicker with standard setup which is more desirable for everyday use). No need to spend the extra $'s for something that doesn't add value, glad Ford is providing options here so people can order to fit their needs.
Old 1/26/12, 11:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by speedrx
I will be adding the PP but not the TP, I don't plan to do any serious track racing and SVT says the external cooler is not as good for the street (oil temps come up quicker with standard setup which is more desirable for everyday use). No need to spend the extra $'s for something that doesn't add value, glad Ford is providing options here so people can order to fit their needs.
I'm tending to agree with your comments on option selection.
I've been struggling with color selection without any resolution as yet, but perhaps I should at least address the major option package selection and get that part behind me.
Cheers,
Old 1/26/12, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
The MSRP?

From Motor Trend. Hope this helps.

"... Ford will also be offering two performance packages for the Shelby GT500. The Performance Package will include a Torsen limited-slip differential, and an SVT-designed Bilstein suspension system. The Bilstein suspension includes electronically adjustable dampers with two driver-selectable modes: Normal and Sport. Ford says Normal will allow for a more comfortable ride in shoddy road conditions, while Sport will tighten the suspension up, further minimizing body roll and pitch at the track.

Also available when you tick the Performance Package option is the Track Package, which builds on the Performance Package by adding an external engine cooler, rear differential cooler, and a transmission cooler to fight heat soak in high speed and track conditions..."
Thanks, this post has helped me clarify the options,
Cheers,
Bob
Old 1/27/12, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about brake ducts? Any word on that?
Old 1/27/12, 12:42 PM
GT Member

So the rims and stripes will be the same regardless what package is chosen?
Old 1/27/12, 05:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by speedrx
I will be adding the PP but not the TP...
There is only one chance to get factory options specially performance upgrades. If you use them fine, if not you still have them.

Sure, the oil temperatures come up quicker with a standard setup but that can be offset by idling for three minutes or so on cold starts. The additional coolers will not damage its components on the contrary, they will protect them a lot more during stop and go traffic and hot summer months.
Old 1/27/12, 05:41 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I only wish I could have a factory oil, differential, and tranny cooler in all my cars.
Old 1/27/12, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
There is only one chance to get factory options specially performance upgrades. If you use them fine, if not you still have them.

Sure, the oil temperatures come up quicker with a standard setup but that can be offset by idling for three minutes or so on cold starts. The additional coolers will not damage its components on the contrary, they will protect them a lot more during stop and go traffic and hot summer months.
It will be interesting to see how Ford prices out the packages, I would consider the TP also if it is reasonable, even though it is mostly unnecessary for street (non track) use.
Old 1/29/12, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wish they would just include the coolers like GM did on the ZL1. Hopefully Ford will take some of the GM comments to heart about having to pay extra for the Performance pack and coolers.
Old 1/29/12, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
I wish they would just include the coolers like GM did on the ZL1. Hopefully Ford will take some of the GM comments to heart about having to pay extra for the Performance pack and coolers.
You think that GM doesn't include the price of the coolers in the MSRP? What?
Old 1/29/12, 09:13 PM
GT Member

There has been some information indicating that the TP option will not be available on the convertible. Does anyone have any confirmed info to the regard? Most likely we will have to wait for the official Order Guides to be sure.
Old 1/30/12, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
You think that GM doesn't include the price of the coolers in the MSRP? What?
No they do but as you can see from the MSRP the ZL1 is priced pretty aggressively. They also point out that track use doesn't void the ZL1 warranty. Where as Ford goes out of their way in the manual that it does and the car needs additional stuff. It's kind of embarrassing to be honest. Just make every GT500 ready to race from day one. I understand there is an additional cost associated but are buyers of this car really nickel and dime folk?

Last edited by bpmurr; 1/30/12 at 06:57 AM.
Old 1/30/12, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I will probably get the oil and diiff coolers. However, there are people who will not track their cars but will get them to drive on the street and do some drag racing. I am sure the drag racers dont want the added weight of the coolers. Ford is smart by making the coolers an option. If the base GT500 is sold at alot lower price than the ZL1, there will be alot of happy buyers.
Old 1/30/12, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just wish they would give me a choice between wheels, when choosing the PP.
Old 1/30/12, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Cool

I agree 100 percent on having more wheel options with the PP. I would like to have the option to get some nice polished aluminum 5 spoke wheels.
Old 1/30/12, 11:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheels will be the big distinguishing thing. The rumor is that the skinny PP stripes of '11 and '12 are gone.

Regarding brake ducts, I don't know if SVT has addressed that or not. It may be like the Boss, and be an FRPP item.

Last edited by Overboost; 1/30/12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 1/31/12, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

I think a polished aluminum lightweight wheel that resembles a minilite would be the ideal wheel option for the PP GT500.

Quick Reply: 13 GT500 question