Notices
'10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs

Pounds/hp vs 0-60

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/11, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pounds/hp vs 0-60

Please don't doubt my Ford fan credentials as I ask this question, because I bought 6 new Fords in a row. My last purchase was a supercharged 2003 svt Cobra. I'm about to replace it.

The four candidates are Mustang GT Premium, Shelby GT 500, Corvette (G.S. or base, I'm not sure) and Cadillac CTS-V. I know that's a stretch, but I like horsepower and acceleration a LOT.

According to my math, the Shelby carries 6.9 pounds for each horsepower, the Corvette 7.4 (even with the 6 hp boost from the dual mode exhaust), the CTS-V 7.6, and the GT 8.5. You do the math, if you doubt my numbers. And if my numbers are off, they're not off by much.

Now the 0-60 times for these cars are: Corvette 4.1, CTS 4.3, Shelby 4.4 and GT 4.6 (Road & Track numbers). In the quarter mile, the Corvette maintains the lead all the way, the Shelby catches up to the CTS (but doesn't power past it), and the GT brings up the rear again.

Some of you are already saying "Hey, there's a huge price differential amongst those cars," but I don't really care all that much. While about $60k is the top of my budget (and maybe eliminates the CTS), if I load up a GT, it's going to cost me almost $40k, and the Corvette and Shelby both come in at the lower 50s. Or so.

I have people urging me to buy the Shelby if I can afford it, because it makes 550 horses, while the Vette only makes 436, and the GT 412. But if all that horsepower doesn't translate to acceleration . . . what good is it?

I prefer owning a Mustang. But I really, really don't understand these numbers. The Cadillac makes a bare 6 more horsepower than the Shelby, weighs 400 pounds more, and out-accelerates it (Motor Trend says the caddy is faster thru the quarter . . . and many sources put the 0-60 at under 4).

There are many other differences to consider, of course, but they may fall into place if I can figure out this part of the equation.

Thanks for listening.
Old 3/10/11, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gt500 needs traction badly.
Check the numbers with a pair of good tires.
Old 3/10/11, 05:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the CTS-V is an auto. Much easier to drive in a straight line race
Old 3/10/11, 07:31 PM

So you're saying an automatic is the way to go? That eliminates the Shelby from the equation.

I really want a Ford... but I also want something that kicks *** and doesn't ask questions. I REALLY don't want a 2012/2013 Camaro to dust me. That would hurt.

Plus, the Shelby only comes with that crappy Tremec transmission. I would rather have Ford pay attention to the transmission than to that sweet supercharged 5.4.
Old 3/14/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

If I was you, I'd probably go with the GT and start modding the hell out of it. Upgrade the suspension a bit, supercharge it, tune it, new tires, etc. Not only will you be putting down some monster numbers to the wheels, but you'll be lighter and launch better than a Shelby, and it'll be less expensive. You'll also have a choice between a manual or automatic transmission that way.
Old 3/14/11, 01:15 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
This is the age old debate.
Any car that has a zillion horsepower but can't put it down is probably useless for anything other than parades and car shows.

If you want excelleration you want the best power to weight ratio and the best grip. Out of those candidates my choice would be the vette..probably the GS. My opinion is that it's the best overall car. (alot of factors for me come into play including power to weight and grip)

In the end if you want awesome excelleration and great grip. Get an Ariel atom
but if other factors come into play..looks, comfort and all that then get the one that apeals to all of them.

Last edited by burningman; 3/14/11 at 01:19 PM.
Old 3/14/11, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dennis
but I also want something that kicks *** and doesn't ask questions.
At the level you are looking at I think any of your choices will make you feel like the big dog on the street! In a race between that level of cars I think the driver would have as big of an effect if you were to street race. Most of the time I spin off the line but one time I left so hard I checked my rearview because I thought I got rearended! Getting the best power to weight will make it easier on the driver and more consistent as already stated.
Old 3/14/11, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

You already have the best mustang ever built. My dream car
Old 3/16/11, 02:16 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree. Time for a 2.9whipple and dust all of the cars talked about. Why spend 50k when you can do it for 5k?

I'm partially kidding, the 03 is no where refined as the cars you mentioned. Everyone feels their own way about things.

I drive an 03 cobra so I am biased.
Old 3/16/11, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me for my ignorance but what is it about the Shelby that it can't put all that power down? It has to be more than tire size or lack of IRS. Is the suspension too soft perhaps? I like learning about all this stuff so if somebody can explain it to me it would be awesome.
Old 3/25/11, 08:08 PM

Good input. Thanks a lot. My only FURTHER question would be: what about the factory warrantee?
Old 3/25/11, 08:11 PM

Great reply. Thanks!
Old 3/25/11, 08:20 PM

You, my friend, have asked an excellent question. It is the primary question, and nobody answers it!
Old 3/25/11, 08:56 PM

What do you mean by "good tires"? Aren't they street tires, like the Corvette and the CTS-V have?
Old 3/28/11, 01:06 AM
Bullitt Member

U should put the 12 Boss in your category out accelerates the rest 4.0 sec 12.3 1/4 mile and still cheaper than the vette GT500 CTS-V
Old 10/15/11, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by goat678
U should put the 12 Boss in your category out accelerates the rest 4.0 sec 12.3 1/4 mile and still cheaper than the vette GT500 CTS-V
i second that.... best car i have EVER driven
Old 10/26/11, 08:13 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think your avatar says it all I would definitely take a GT500 over a GT if I could. Between the GT500 and CTS I should come down to what stage in your life your at. If you are setteled down and have a family get the GT500. If you are looking for a family get the CTSV I have always loved corvettes too, tough!
Old 10/26/11, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

OP,
Not sure if this is purely a pleasure car or daily driver, etc. but i too was in ur position before i bought a GT500 and i eliminated the vette after checking a couple out and driving one. if u care about the front bumper of your car, i would not get the vette. I've traveled all over the country and i've never seen an area where a person could drive a vette normally and not smash the crap out of the front bumper.

To your original question about weight.....take a look at the weight distribution between all the cars. I dont know off the top of my head, but id be willing to bet the gt500, although the best pound per HP ratio, has the majority of its weight over the wrong end. I believe the vettes trans is in the rear of the car balancing the weight more efficiently resulting in better traction. not sure about the cts v, although since it too is GM, perhaps it has the same sort of set up.

Like someone else touched on, with 0-60 times that close, it will virtually always come down to the driver, environmental conditions, tire degredation on each car, how full the gas tank is, # of passengers, ......i think u get my point.

I live in the suburbs of detroit, perhaps one of the most likely places to run into another muscle car on the road for some "spirited driving" of anywhere in the country. In 4 years of owning sports/ muscle cars, i've maybe ran into 2 or 3 situations where i had an opportunity to show up a competitive car.

Just remember if u have a car that is expected to be the fastest, u only have 2 options........be the fastest and meet expectations or get smoked which is major fail. If u get the vette and get smoked by a lightly moded 5.0, how will u feel?

Drive each one.....im sure one of the four will stand out to u after that.
Old 10/26/11, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

wait for a 5.8L GT500.