Notices
'10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs

2011 Convertible? Pros/Cons.. lets hear it

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/10, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Convertible? Pros/Cons.. lets hear it

I'm wanting to get opinions of people who are thinking about convertibles but are on the fence. Im one of those. In some respects, I'd like to get a convertible. BUT- after driving the 2010 yesterday, and feeling the power of the 2010 with the stock axle gear, it felt pretty vulnerable. ...especially if for some stupid reason you flip the car, and end up on rolling it. I'm buying a 2011 Mustang and know that I want to take it to the track as well. I don't want to cage my car if it's against the rules..

I want a safe, fast, reliable sports car. I also love to get on my cars. I love power and stepping on the gas pedal sometimes.

Convertibles are nice- but with a lot of power they can be scary. God forbid you roll one.

Other cons:
More weight. I think it's roughly at least 200 lbs more than a hardtop. Glassroof is roughly 28lbs or so more than metal roof.

Also- I want a 3.73 axle- I think the auto insurance is always a little bit more on the Convertibles.

Anybody else??
Old 2/28/10, 06:45 PM
GT Member

I live in South Carolina, so the idea of a vert is always tempting. But your concerns are valid.

There are other concerns too, like what if a thief or hater wants to slice up your roof?

I hope to order a Mustang later this year. For me, it's Glass Roof all the way. Not a compromise in my eyes, but rather the best of all worlds.

The Glass Roof is a really cool feature that sets the Mustang apart from the average coupe or vert, plus it's cheaper than a vert, and the performance penalty (weight/center of gravity) is negligible. More secure and durable too!
Old 2/28/10, 06:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

Mike, I personally do not like being in a vert without a roll bar.
I rolled a car (coupe) about 30 years ago and it was the roof that kept me on this earth.
I love verts, the wind in my hair (which I still have), the open air ( I drive my car with windows down).
When I told my mother (almost 90 now) this year I wanted to get a vert she said no way.
If she (or I) was younger I would probably do it anyway.
The odds of a rollover are small, but in the wrong situation ANY car can roll. I know.
Whatever you choose, just be careful out there.
Old 2/28/10, 07:13 PM
FR500 Member

I have a 2007 vert and I absolutely love it. I'll never take it on the track though. I've seen people roll their verts on a very safe and flat track, and I won't take that risk. I too am thinking about a 2011 for a track car. If I get it, it will be a coupe.
Old 2/28/10, 07:44 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I think you just talked yourself out of one.
Old 2/28/10, 07:49 PM

Im definately going with a convertible. But I will be putting a vert 4 pt cage in it. Ive always had that same thought about flipping it in the back of my head. I saw a fox vert a girl here rolled a few months ago and im amazed she survived without a scratch.
Old 3/1/10, 01:21 AM
Cobra Member

If you track it, I wouldn't do a convertible (having owned 3 in the past) -- for the safety, weight and rigidity if nothing else.

I would go for the glass roof (which I plan to do this time around). However, I don't think it is that heavy -- CDC said they swapped it for carbon fiber and it saved 12 pounds (well, at least I think they swapped the glass roof....). In any case, 28# is a far cry from 200#, and you get 80% the effect of a 'vert with the windows open.
Old 3/1/10, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you're buying the car with competition in mind, then the convertible is the wrong choice. (heavier, less rigid, fewer aftermarket options) That being said, I've owned 9 Mustangs and my daughter has a 2010 glass roof GT.

Convertible pros
Top down motoring is great. Wind in your hair, sun beating down great unencumbered view.

Convertible Cons,
Noisy with the top up ( S197 and later are better, but it's a fact that top up driving is noiser than a hard top.
Wives and girlfreinds hate the wind in their hair (it tangles, whips me, flattens hair, makes it look dirty, etc.) I loved my 2005 GT Convertible, but the wife dreaded it when I put the top down which leads to Con #1
Nobody liked the back seat on the highway.
Long trips with the top down leads to dehydration and sun burn. It's even more annoying to be stuck in traffic. (leads to Con #1 again)

My daughter's 10 Glass roof car probably has the best compromise available in the new car.
Old 3/1/10, 12:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
My dream Mustang was always [1] V8, [2] manual gearbox, [3] and a top that went down.

It has been everything I thought it would be. Completely and fully enjoyable. I have even had it on the track briefly at Lime Rock, at one of the Skip Barber schools.

Probably not the best choice for a lot of track play. But for everyday life, it is definitely right for me. If the first number in the outside temperature is a "6", the top goes down.

Will the next Mustang be a vert? I do not yet know. But I do know I am delighted to be driving this one!
Old 3/1/10, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Thanks a lot guys for your thoughts- Rampant and Juice, your pros/cons and glass roof opinions are really good. I appreciate it a lot. thanks to all you guys for your opinions!
Old 3/6/10, 04:08 PM
GT Member

convertibles, of all kinds are noisy.
and (eventually) they all leak ...
Old 3/6/10, 04:12 PM
GT Member

Another convertible factoid

I live in So Cal (aka, "land of the vert")

and I rarely (RARELY) see the top down here, on even the sweetest balmy days.

that should tell you something
Old 3/6/10, 04:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had another car that was a ragtop for 15 years. I never liked the top down on the freeway - just too much wind & noise. Driving PCH or nice and easy country roads was always fun but only if it was medium speeds. They're noisy, leak, and a cinch to steal. No more verts for me.
Old 3/11/10, 12:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to consider that there have been structural improvements to the 2011 convertibles. Although these quotes are referring to the GT500 Ford has said that the same changes apply to all 2011 'verts.

"The Shelby GT500 convertible model features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity.

The structural improvements to the convertible gave SVT the opportunity to be more sport-oriented in the chassis tuning, without trading comfort. Along with the chassis and structural improvements, the 2011 model also will get standard 19-inch aluminum wheels.

“One of the biggest changes for this Shelby is that the convertible acts and feels like a coupe,” said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. “Before, they had a very different character, and the convertible is taking a big step in the sportiness and handling precision area, without degrading the ride.”
Old 3/11/10, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Love my convertible! Not sure if I'll ever buy another Mustang coupe, actually.
Old 3/11/10, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

BTW - the solution should be obvious...a premium option for a retractable hardtop! Not all vert buyers would opt for it, but it would launch the Mustang into a new category.
Old 3/11/10, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Love my convertible! Not sure if I'll ever buy another Mustang coupe, actually.
Same here!!

And unlike some of the other comments, my wife actually enjoys riding in the car with the top dropped as we rarely drive it with the top down
Old 3/11/10, 02:11 PM
GT Member

I've been riding motorcycles for decades and in Michigan there is a helmet law. I got my first convertible 5 years ago and it is the closest I can get to riding without a helmet. They are louder than a hard top but to me that's nothing compared to the top down feeling.
And I don't even listen to the radio because I don't like the noise.
So I don't ever plan on being without a drop-top again.
Old 3/26/10, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

i love verts. always will. first stang was one and hopefully my next one will be(finances may keep me in a coupe)

the the personal that says all verts leak. may be true in after a long time... but one of the best ways to keep verts from leaking in my experience is to have a simple rule...if the windows are down the top must be to. never drive with top up and windows down. That puts way to much pressure on the seals especially around the base and back window.
Old 3/26/10, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're either topless or your not. : )

Quick Reply: 2011 Convertible? Pros/Cons.. lets hear it