Nature Coast Mustangs Nature Coast Mustangs website

Need I say more?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/10, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need I say more?

This should be the only reason you need to stay away from Jarrett Ford in Dade City,Fl ,My 2008 Bullitt I believe is now worthless after the work they performed ,

And now my Silverhorse louvers they were so confident in thier ability to paint :

" My car was dropped off at Jarrett Ford on Monday Feb. 8th , I stopped by there unannounced on Thursday the 11th to check on the progress and found out the only thing done was a replacement wheel was ordered but came to them in the wrong color so it was returned on Friday the 12th.
The car sat there over the weekend then the correct wheel and new fender showed up and the body shop decided it would be best not to paint the front facia or blend the new fender in with the passenger door , the hood , the repainted front would've needed to also be blended in with the driver side fender as well , I questioned the reduced amount of work they were doing should've reflected a difference in their cost compared to the check Progressive wrote and they said the cost for paint , labor , and time saved not blending all the pieces was spent on mixing paint for a better match on the car.
They called me Friday the 19th in the afternoon to say it was ready to be picked up , I had to leave work and got over there at 2:15pm , turned in the rental then found out the car had not been aligned yet because their rack was out of service being repaired , Told them i'd have to wait on it since I already was there , about 2 1/2 hours I waited , close to 5pm , overcast skies so wasn't the best conditions for inspecting their work.
Got back to work and was close to dark out and got off duty the next morning , went home and started noticing a lot of trash or dirt and air bubbles in the paint , fender did not line up with the door , bolt not tightened , and hardware missing for the factory alarm hood switch , switch was just hanging there under the hood ,and had wrong size valve stem in the new wheel .On Saturday night the 20th I sent an email to the General Manager of Jarrett Ford requesting to meet with him and go over the work that came out of his body shop ,let him know i'd be there Tuesday morning the 23rd since I worked Monday the 22nd , He met with myself and the body shop manager , I showed them all the issues and was told they would be taken care of.
Received a phone call late afternoon on Friday the 26th to let me know it was ready for pick up from the service center since it would be after 5pm before I could get there , When I got there and looked at the car there was a chip in the newly painted new fender and still had the wrong size valve stem , longer than the other 3 wheels on the car and those are what Ford put on the car since it was new , so I told the service manager I was not picking it up and still had possesion of the rental car they provided which they didn't have a problem with.
Body shop had sent me an email Tuesday evening the 2nd of March stating they had repaired the paint chip , installed the correct valve stem , attached the alarm hood switch , aligned the fender with the door and was ready to be picked up , Went over to Dady City Wednesday morning March 3rd and pretty much same weather conditions outside ,cold , overcast / cloudy skies and paint apeared to be a pretty close match , It has been too cold out to wash my car so I put it off until Fri evening when it was warm enough outside,figured I should go over everything again and found they still did not tighten the lose fender bolt under the hood , the alarm switch they attached with a generic bolt & fastener probably from Napa where they found the correct size valve stem and my problem with that is that is not the part that came out of it and is not the part Ford originally used on the car , While washing my car I noticed paint overspray all over the car , The plastic inner fender well is not attached correctly inside the fender and is losely sitting in there , there are still a few bumps in the paint which is not a problem now since the color doesn't match anyway , and the wheel wieghts on the new wheel flew off somewhere down the road after I left there so it's out of balance now.
The body shop can't explain the overspray and says the fender was painted seperately in an enclosed booth vented to the outside of the building , makes sense to me but it wasn't on there prior to them receiving the car . One of the pictures show the white line of paint overspray I had to scrape off the glass with a razor then had to use a clay bar system on the whole car to get overspray off the paint . The second picture is obvious of the mis-matched paint . Thought I had other pictures with me but think they're on my thumb drive left at home.

So far everytime I have an issue with any repair they did they have always offered to repair it again but this is the 3rd time it has been there and quite frankly it's getting old.

The body shop is expecting me back first thing in the morning on March 10th incorrect hood alarm bolt , loose inner fender well , missing wheel wieghts , and mis-matched paint , I'm not sure if I need to speak with the General Manager again or should Progressive hold on getting involved until I meet with the body shop ? I'm open to any suggestions and if there's any questions feel free to ask.
So far Progressive is the only 1 besides me that understands the importance with this since it is a Limited Edition numbered car."

Told them I wasn't thrilled about having to spend the whole day clay barring the car and scraping the glass with a razor to get Jarrett Ford's over-spray off the car.

In a 2nd email was this ,

"Probably unrelated but I did email Jarret Fords body shop a picture of the correct hardware for mounting the hood alarm switch , It's not just the body shop , it's also their service department , the first time I dropped the car off I requested the service department coordinate with the body shop to have some T.S.B. (Technical Service Bulletin) work done at the same time , They didn't ,said they had to order parts so they did the work when the car came back the 2nd time , after I met with the General Manager . When I last picked up the car the body shop said he called service department to make sure their part was done on the transmission TSB they said it was complete but when I drove it the clutch barely worked,so they had to take it back in for an adjustment , same service department that takes care of mounting my tire on the new wheel where the wieghts came off.

Also you should know the 2nd picture attached is 1 of 2 additional parts I had paid Jarrett Ford extra to paint since they had to mix paint for the fender anyway , On top of the check from Progressive , my $500.00 cash deductable , I paid them an extra $224.00 , $50.00 was a core charge from Ford for the replacement wheel since I wanted to keep the damaged wheel and $174.00 for paint and labor on these 2 parts , They are Silerhorse brand replacent quarter windows , I wouldn't accept the work they did on these , told them I couldn't install something that looked that bad on my car , They were also showed to the General Manager with body shop person present and he assured me they could be cleaned up / repaired , They've had them since February 8th."

Last edited by Flafyrman; 3/11/10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 3/11/10, 07:16 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy crap, how did they let that get released to you?
Old 3/11/10, 07:36 PM

That was just the beginning ,It looked much worse ,Fender did not line up with the door , at least 5 air bubbles/dirt in the paint , the fender was replaced and they lost the bolt/fastener for the hood alarm switch , Itook it back and they bought a generic bolt & fastener from Napa to bolt it back to the fender then bolted it on wrong,to the bottom of the fender lip ,told them I wanted a Ford bolt & fastener in it to replace the one they lost , Finally had enough and got Progressive involved now they say all they can do is blend the door into the fender and they're still working on the louvers they've had since Feb 8th , I just want them to get it close enough that I cant be done dealing with them and then i'll wait a month and file a claim against the Xzilon treatment that didn't do it's job on the roof,hood,&trunk

Last edited by Flafyrman; 3/11/10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 3/11/10, 09:41 PM
Post *****

That doesn't look anything like PX.
Old 3/11/10, 09:58 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap.
Old 3/11/10, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That doesn't look anything like PX.
Kinda looks like "Amazon Green" which was the color of my '99 F-150
Old 3/11/10, 10:37 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
man I know how you feel. I feel your pain. You are actually lucky that the insurance company and the body shop were trying to fix what they messed up. I was basically told oh well cant do nothing for ya when I had my 2001 Celica with a custom paintjob in the body shop getting repaired after someone backed into it.
Old 3/11/10, 11:10 PM

As of now the car goes back on the 16th , they're going to blend the door into the fenser or vice-versa
Old 3/11/10, 11:16 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Flafyrman
As of now the car goes back on the 16th , they're going to blend the door into the fenser or vice-versa
Well if its blending that new green with the factory DHG, I wouldn't accept that. They make it factory perfect or else! That's why they are a Dealer - or find another one that's reputable. The Bullitt's factory color is a critical part of its value and uniqueness.

PS: And I understand that some say there are slightly different shades of PX. I saved this info from a friend who's Bullitt is really fine:

As for selecting a competent body shop, to see if your Body Shop has the right stuff, ask them the process they use to color match paint.

As a general rule, there will be multiple shades of any particular color. For example, the PX code, Dark Highland Green Clearcoat has a light, medium, and dark shading mix. For Mustangs with Mineral Gray, there are seven different mixes. All these variances are listed in the paint mixing books.

The best way and IMO the only way to match paint is with the use of a Multi-Angle Color Spectrophotometer. Now this is where you separate the men from the boys or more importantly, the amateurs from the professionals.

You see, only a few years ago choosing the color mix of a car was simple. You had only maybe twenty or so colors. However, today with all the different hues, metallics, pearlescent, sparkling and other paint special effects, its good luck to Joe $hit the body man on getting an accurate match without a Spectrophotometer.

Basically, the Spectrophotometer takes a photo of your paint and in conjunction with the mixing data from the OEM and paint manufacturer a mix is established. This mix will match your paint 98% of the time, so I am told.

I can tell you that with the Body Shop I use, my paint matched the first time and every time thereafter.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/11/10 at 11:35 PM.
Old 3/11/10, 11:47 PM
Post *****

Friend its a tricky color as you know (depending on the light). Don't settle!

Old 3/12/10, 12:53 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah even with that machine the body shop (which was a Toyota Dealer) screwed up the colors and didnt match my paint. Here is a couple pics of the damage that was done and you can see the colors that it is.

Old 3/12/10, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow sorry to hear this David, it extremely hard to find a bodyshop that actually cares about your Mustang the way you do. To them it's just a job, they obviously don't get it. Sadder even still, this was a Ford dealership? Good luck with everything, hopefully you can get it all worked out!

Note to self: NEVER HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH JARRETT FORD IN DADE CITY,FL

Oddly I'm in the mood for chinese food for lunch, RICE anyone?

Last edited by Mas35NYR; 3/12/10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 3/13/10, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Don't settle AT ALL!! I had it out with a body shop who used to work on my car. He said I was too "picky" and that I needed to be more realistic. This was after he 1st had to repaint my rear bumper after I got rear-ended. He painted the bumper (which didn't match well) and he striped it (my stripes on my car are painted), OFF THE CAR!! They were crooked!! Talk about pi$$ed!!! He fixed that (still not 100% but acceptable for the time being, until I found another shop) and then I gave him something else to do, Silverhorse Louvers! He royally F'ed up mine too!! I never paid him for that job, as I had to buy a second set from Marcello (Pre-painted and the were painted EXCELLENT by his shop). After that, I was done with him!! Live and learn. DON'T BACK DOWN!!! Go after them to make sure your car is PERFECT!!! Good luck.
Old 3/13/10, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry about what you are going through.....been there. Here's a pic of my 2009 GT with 400 miles. Three times in the body shop, and the problems just got bigger and bigger. I made them buy the car back....to the penny.

Old 3/15/10, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

sorry to hear of your luck with this. my local one screwed me over on wheels THEY messed up trying to balance them. I had hood paint problems and took mine an hour away to get the work done (don reid ford) which was done great! what it boils down to is they just dont care. about their job, someones car, or probably themselves.
good luck, and thanks for the heads up on the dealer.
Old 3/15/10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well if its blending that new green with the factory DHG, I wouldn't accept that. They make it factory perfect or else! That's why they are a Dealer - or find another one that's reputable. The Bullitt's factory color is a critical part of its value and uniqueness.

PS: And I understand that some say there are slightly different shades of PX. I saved this info from a friend who's Bullitt is really fine:

As for selecting a competent body shop, to see if your Body Shop has the right stuff, ask them the process they use to color match paint.

As a general rule, there will be multiple shades of any particular color. For example, the PX code, Dark Highland Green Clearcoat has a light, medium, and dark shading mix. For Mustangs with Mineral Gray, there are seven different mixes. All these variances are listed in the paint mixing books.

The best way and IMO the only way to match paint is with the use of a Multi-Angle Color Spectrophotometer. Now this is where you separate the men from the boys or more importantly, the amateurs from the professionals.

You see, only a few years ago choosing the color mix of a car was simple. You had only maybe twenty or so colors. However, today with all the different hues, metallics, pearlescent, sparkling and other paint special effects, its good luck to Joe $hit the body man on getting an accurate match without a Spectrophotometer.

Basically, the Spectrophotometer takes a photo of your paint and in conjunction with the mixing data from the OEM and paint manufacturer a mix is established. This mix will match your paint 98% of the time, so I am told.

I can tell you that with the Body Shop I use, my paint matched the first time and every time thereafter.

What I don't understand with the whole paint mix / match process is before I bought the Silverhorse louvers I had a set of the Astra Hammond that were painted by the guy at the Buick place , dropped them off with no car to compare to and at any angle there was no difference in paint. Jarrett didn't have much to say about the overspray they got all over the car , they tried denying it saying don't know how it got on there the fender was painted in a booth , then I sent them a picture of what I scraped off the back window with a razor blade :

Last edited by Flafyrman; 3/15/10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 3/16/10, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by firestang
sorry to hear of your luck with this. my local one screwed me over on wheels THEY messed up trying to balance them. I had hood paint problems and took mine an hour away to get the work done (don reid ford) which was done great! what it boils down to is they just dont care. about their job, someones car, or probably themselves.
good luck, and thanks for the heads up on the dealer.
Luckily Progressive paid to have a wheel replaced from Ford , paid $853.00 for it and at least Jarrett was smart enough to static balance it and keep the stick on wieghts on the inside of the wheel and let me pay the $50.00 core charge to keep the old wheel , it's now in Tampa getting repaired for approx $85.00
Old 3/16/10, 01:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Man that bites. I only trust one mechanic and one body shop with my cars. I won't use the dealership for anything mechanical or body wise. You would think they would have better, more technologically advanced workmanship because they charge more.
Old 3/16/10, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
Man that bites. I only trust one mechanic and one body shop with my cars. I won't use the dealership for anything mechanical or body wise. You would think they would have better, more technologically advanced workmanship because they charge more.
Like I said before , I bought the car there and figured who better to repair a Ford than a Ford Dealer with thier own collision center ? They should have better equipment and technology since Ford has such strict requirements that need to be met for aftermarket parts , Progressive told me that and that was the reason Progressive paid out the A$$ for a new Ford wheel and a new Ford fender , No aftermarket parts available.

I did send the General Manager / Vice President of Jarrett Ford a pretty abrupt and to the point email last night with pics of the work coming out of his dealership then found out he met with the body shop this morning after I dropped the car off.

Last edited by Flafyrman; 3/16/10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 3/16/10, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey bud, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Don't settle AT ALL!! I had it out with a body shop who used to work on my car. He said I was too "picky" and that I needed to be more realistic. This was after he 1st had to repaint my rear bumper after I got rear-ended. He painted the bumper (which didn't match well) and he striped it (my stripes on my car are painted), OFF THE CAR!! They were crooked!! Talk about pi$$ed!!! He fixed that (still not 100% but acceptable for the time being, until I found another shop) and then I gave him something else to do, Silverhorse Louvers! He royally F'ed up mine too!! I never paid him for that job, as I had to buy a second set from Marcello (Pre-painted and the were painted EXCELLENT by his shop). After that, I was done with him!! Live and learn. DON'T BACK DOWN!!! Go after them to make sure your car is PERFECT!!! Good luck.
Sent this email to the General Manager / Vice President last night then found out he waited until after I dropped off the car to go and look at it.

to : cliffmartin@jarrettford.com
date : Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:08 AM
subject : 2008 Bullitt Mustang

I did not think having it 2 weeks the first time should've caused a simple job like paint and replacing a fender and wheel was rushed but here are the results of the fender after I met with you , Paint does not match , Myself and Progressive met with Dave at the collision center last week and was decided the door needed to be blended with the fender , After thinking about that for a few days i'm not so sure I want them to ruin my perfectly fine door to match poor paint job on a new fender , I had other parts painted 1 time from a Buick dealer and it matched perfect from any angle you looked at it . I don't think you would accept this type of work on your personal vehicle so why should I ? My car has been there 2 times and will be there Tuesday morning the 16th .

It doesn't end there , Out of the 2 times it has been there I wouldn't accept it the 2nd time when the fender was buffed out somehow ended up with a chip in the new paint , so that was a wasted trip for me as I left it there over a weekend , I took 3 times to get the correct valve stem and that was after I talked to Dave and had to give him the correct part number off of the original valve stem that Ford installed in the wheel when I bought the car . The hood switch was mounted but not correctly and Not with the correct Ford parts that came out of it , not my fault they were lost in the body shop somewhere then replaced with parts from Napa where they found the correct valve stem . I want the correct bolt and fastener found or replaced with the correct bolt even if it has to be ordered .

There are still spots / bumps in the paint that didn't buff / polish out but should be taken care of if it's agreed upon that the fender needs to be re-painted since it doesn't match to begin with , The car has been there twice , worked on 3 times and the inner plastic fender well was not correctly fastened to the fender / lower side skirt and was also brought to Daves attention last week when I met with him , there is also a couple of new small markes on the front and rear bumpers probably from an accidental tool drop , and the wheel wieghts did not stick to the wheel after I last picked up the car , Dave knows about that as well and said that it will be re-balanced . Also I believe the bodyshop has had more than enough time to work on the quarter window louvers I had them paint seperately , they have had them since Feb 23rd when I brought them back and you had seen them , If or after I drop my car off I want the louvers to be finished and acceptable when I return to pick the car up as I have made more than enough trips to and from Brooksville to Dade City and plan on this being the last , If the body shop can not repair the louvers they can either purchase me a new set $159.00 and refund the cost of what I paid them to paint them , $174.00 or they can buy a pre-painted set from Silverhorse.com for $1.00 less than the cost of what I have invested in them and have them shipped to my home address.

I think i've been more than patient and lenient when dealing with the wormanship that came out of the body shop since this has been going on since Feb 8th , for something that should've been done right the first time then checked before I was called to come and picked the car up , You'll also notice a picture of the rear window that has a crooked white line down the edge , that is the overspray paint that I cleaned off the car , after the first time it was there and washed before being released to me . I will not let thier work degrade my $31,000 Bullitt Edition Mustang down to the cost of a $28,000 Base GT model , someone is not getting the big picture here that this is a limited edition numbered vehicle and the paint color is only specific to the Bullitt model , if that doesn't match and without the correct hardware that came on the vehicle pretty much makes it worthless and will not hold any type of value in the future.

Probably when I return home from dropping off the vehicle I will make a phone call to Ford Owner Services at 1-800-392-3673 and see what they have to say about my situation.

From Fords website :

"If you have questions or concerns about your vehicle, we suggest you follow these steps:
Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing dealership.
If the inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager or Service Manager at the dealership.
If the inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, please contact us, below."

Last edited by Flafyrman; 3/16/10 at 04:38 PM.