The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2008 Shelby GT500KR and Super Snake (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f744/)
-   -   TMS Exclusive Interview: GT500KR (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f744/tms-exclusive-interview-gt500kr-449982/)

TMSBrad 4/4/07 11:33 AM

What would you have Shelby do? Forbid any ADMs? If that were to happen, I should think the MSRP would rise to reflect the true transaction price. ADMs are only there because people pay them.

1 COBRA 4/4/07 11:44 AM

Carroll Shelby can be picking his nose and he would have a line around the block waiting and willing to shake his hand. He has enough influence and leverage with Ford to protect his loyal customer base and make demands, if he chose to. The more volume of cars sold with his stamp on the better off everyone is, including Ford.

Webba 4/4/07 12:04 PM

And what I tire of hearing and reading is stories about this $45k car. It isnt a $45k car, it is a $65k car with the ADM or more. They should tell it like it is and not make it look as if it is affordable for the masses.

Knight Rider 4/4/07 01:05 PM

when is the interview going to be posted

TMSBrad 4/4/07 01:07 PM

That's up to Rob. I imagine he's still at the show.

Tony Alonso 4/4/07 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT (Post 882798)
Carroll Shelby can be picking his nose and he would have a line around the block waiting and willing to shake his hand. He has enough influence and leverage with Ford to protect his loyal customer base and make demands, if he chose to. The more volume of cars sold with his stamp on the better off everyone is, including Ford.

Obviously there is a loyal customer base right now, or people would not be buying these cars with the ADM.

The only example in recent years where I have seen a manufacturer attempt to influence dealer practices was when Nissan was taking "pre-orders" for the 350Z back in 2002. I recall people saying that Nissan was strongly encouraging dealers to not charge mark-ups or it could (not 100% definitely) affect their allocation numbers. Despite that, there still were mark-ups on the cars for the first 12 months at some dealerships in some parts of the country.

Unless the laws governing the sale of cars is somehow changed, ultimately it will still come back to the dealer on what is going to be charged.

Bullitt 2597 4/4/07 04:36 PM

Ford, Shelby or any other tuner has no right and no recourse against any dealer if they mark it up. Once the dealer buys the car from Ford they can do whatever they want. Shelby could speak his mind but what good would it do??

A good example is the X Box sales. Went directly to Ebay for 1000s of dollars. Simple supply and demand.

Knight Rider 4/4/07 04:40 PM

like my World History teacher says "value is not how much it is spend on for making it, but for how much the people want to buy it for"

mjbarnet 4/4/07 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT (Post 882083)
Ask why Shelby Autos is so persistant in constantly bringing up the money amounts of their Barrett-Jackson sales. Ask why their loyalty is primarily directed to support the dealers rather than their fans.

... probably to lessen his tax bill, I'm guessing he writes off what it sold for, not his cost, or even the MSRP of $54,000. Sure his charity is helped out, but who wouldn't donate one dollar to write of 18 dollars.

1FAFP90 4/4/07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mjbarnet (Post 883080)
... probably to lessen his tax bill, I'm guessing he writes off what it sold for, not his cost, or even the MSRP of $54,000. Sure his charity is helped out, but who wouldn't donate one dollar to write of 18 dollars.

Help me out here - if a car with an MSRP of $50k is auctioned for charity at $500k, who gets to write off what amount? Does the seller of the car write off $50k and the buyer $450k ?? If that's the case, then CS does not get to "donate one dollar to write off 18"

mjbarnet 4/4/07 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90 (Post 883145)
Help me out here - if a car with an MSRP of $50k is auctioned for charity at $500k, who gets to write off what amount? Does the seller of the car write off $50k and the buyer $450k ?? If that's the case, then CS does not get to "donate one dollar to write off 18"

I came up with the 18:1 by dividing 1,000,000 by 54,000 (I have no idea how much it sold for, if it sold for $500K, then it would be 9:1).

I believe that Shelby Autos gets to write off "fair market value", which would be the selling price, but I could be wrong. Any tax attys out there?
It is for a good cause, but look at all the publicity it gets. How much would a 2minute commerical during the Barrett Jacksons auction cost? I guess it is what they call a win-win situation.

crazyhorse 4/4/07 07:04 PM

So what's up with the interview? Is Rob back from the show yet? We wanna see?

1 COBRA 4/4/07 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mjbarnet (Post 883080)

That's a very good analogy.

So, the car is donated by Ford with no investment by CS, the proceeds are channeled to the charity, which enables CS to deduct the full amount, which places him on a lower tax bracket, and Uncle Sam gets the shaft along with the Shelby fans.

:hmm:

I suppose it pays to be charitable, although not to the IRS.

:what: :what: :what:

No, not the Mustang's IRS... the other IRS (Internal Revenue Service)

:jester:

codeman94 4/4/07 07:36 PM

Me like to read interview now please...math make brain hurt

1FAFP90 4/4/07 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT (Post 883259)
That's a very good analogy.

So, the car is donated by Ford with no investment by CS, the proceeds are channeled to the charity, which enables CS to deduct the full amount, which places him on a lower tax bracket, and Uncle Sam gets the shaft along with the Shelby fans.

So, the buyer doesn't get to write-off anything? He (Usually Mr P.) plunks down big bucks, and it's the seller that gets the entire write-off? ??

1 COBRA 4/4/07 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90 (Post 883353)
So, the buyer doesn't get to write-off anything?

Only if he takes the car out for a Sunday morning drive and meets senile eighty year old by accident.

:jester:

stang22 4/5/07 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by TMSBrad (Post 882794)
What would you have Shelby do? Forbid any ADMs? If that were to happen, I should think the MSRP would rise to reflect the true transaction price. ADMs are only there because people pay them.

+1 ...exactly!!!!:doh:

tricksixtyfive 4/5/07 02:55 AM

I alos think the dealer ADM is narrowing the market considerably, these dealers don't realize that they are limiting the amount of product by only offering these to the rich. Ask amy if this affects shelbys production. does that make sense?

Webba 4/5/07 07:37 AM

The buyer would get the write off for the charitable contribution but I doubt at the bought price, more likely the MSRP. If not every company with money to burn would be buying cars at inflated costs more than we already see at auction.
And to the person who used the Xbox example to compare to the Shelby and Ebay it is different. The end user who bought the Xbox put it on Ebay, not the Circuit City or Best Buy who is the reseller. So no it isnt the same. Bottom line for me is this. F me over on the Shelby all you want. I would only be buying it one time only anyway. But what you lose out on is my normal purchases for my business. Which has been 5 cars in 7 years. 3 being loaded profitable SUV/trucks. So in the end Ill win. And they lose a lifelong loyal Ford person.

TMSBrad 4/5/07 08:09 AM

Read Rob's interview at http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63163