"Stolen" KITT Story was Publicity Stunt

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/08, 09:10 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
"Stolen" KITT Story was Publicity Stunt

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...d-dacd325bc2f9

A widely circulated story about the theft of KITT - the jazzed up Mustang GT500KR at the heart of the new TV series Knight Rider - has proven to be a good publicity stunt.

A handful of Toronto blogs reported on Friday the black KITT car was stolen from Union Station during a promotional event when a man ran out of the crowd, jumped into the idling car and peeled off.

The story was backed by a YouTube video of the Mustang apparently being ripped off from a guarded area in downtown Toronto.

While some of the blogs speculated it may have been a stunt, other web sites enjoyed significant traffic with the "theft" story, and discussion groups had a field day with the possibility the crime-fighting car had been jacked.

One blog went so far as to "confirm" the theft, saying "a Canwest employee confirmed the auto theft in an email."

Wednesday, the network producing the show revealed the car had been "KITTnapped" as part of a "unique viewer engagement promotion" in which one fan will win a new Ford Mustang.

E! said in a statement: "Friday, the final day of KITT's celebrity tour, crowds of Knight Rider enthusiasts were left stunned when a man ran out of the crowd, dove into KITT and screeched off. Intense speculation spread across news outlets and viral communities promoted by links to YouTube with audience cell phone footage of the "KITTnapping" action. Now E! is looking for help to find KITT."

Participants have a chance to win a brand new Mustang GT Coupe or a number of limited edition Mio Knight Rider GPS units simply by identifying where KITT's been spotted.
The premiere episode of Knight Rider will air Wednesday, September 24th at 8 p.m. For more information, go to eonline.com.
Old 9/18/08, 09:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I hate Hollywood!
Old 9/25/08, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
After watching the few youtube videos a couple weeks ago, I knew it was a publicity stunt. In one angle you can clearly see the female drive was acting. Never mind leaving the door open and the car running. Who drives off the truck, and parks so far away only to go back and load up the ramps yourself. For something like this, they would either have stopped instantly as soon as they got on the ground, or had their helper do it for them, or just leave them be.

Plus, she takes her time, and makes sure that she doesn't turn around until she hears her cue.

I'm sure being there I would have thought it was real, cause you only get the info you see. But with youtube, you can alyalize stuff.

And I kept reading where people thought this was real, about how there were multiple angles of the shot. That the youtube videos weren't done by NBC. Sure, if I was there, and shot the same thing, I would upload it to you tube too, because I got KITT being stolen on camera, and want to show the world.

Plus, the other tip off that it was fake. I found out about it a couple days after it happened. If it was real, the news would have been all over it.