Auto Shows and Events Car shows happen all across the world, here's the place to post the pics!

LA Auto Show Pics and Write Up! 56K WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/06, 03:29 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Auto Show Pics and Write Up! 56K WARNING!!!

First Id like to thank Brad, Scott and TMS for allowing Bill and myself to cover the show at the press day. I have sent the pics to them but I guess it is gonna take some time to get them up so I will start. For now I will only post the pics of the Mustang by Giugiaro because I know they will be most likely be using most of those and I am not sure as to the plans for any other pics. So for other cars and pics I will hold off posting and will use this thread to do detailed writeups on the new cars that made their debuts at the show in the near future. But for now a little look into the Mustang by Giugiaro for all of you here at TMS. I hope and dont think Brad will mind. But if so please speak up and close the thread if you feel it neccessary.

The Mustang by Giugiaro

The Mustang by Giugiaro is a design exercise of the current Mustang by Ford. Designed by Italian coachbuilder Fabrizio Giugiaro of Italdesign – Giugiaro S.P.A. The Mustang by Giugiaro keeps its unmistakeable traditional looks of the Mustang while adding a modern Italian feel reinventing the American icon. The rear has been reduced and the angles tapered creating a more compact look than the current Mustang. 30mm has been added to the front and the width of the rear is gradually expanded to a full 80mm. In profile the car looks more like a fastback with its barely visible trunk and its elongated hood.

A single piece of glass extends the windshield all the way to the rear window allowing for an unobstructed view of the dramatic redesign of the interior while the crystal it's made of provides 100% UV protection. The newly designed instrument panel sweeps the width of the car with circular gauges that project from behind the steering wheel and lights up in the same vibrant orange the car is painted in. The seats are elaborately upholstered in dark brown mottled horse hides with horse logo accents on the head rests and matching floormats and carpeting throughout the vehicle.

The Lamborghini styled doors open automatically at a touch of a button. More modern touches are added with rear view cameras in place of both side mirrors and the rear view mirror with screens displaying their images on the redesigned dash. Glass louvers replace the quarter windows adding a modern flair while continuing the iconic theme. The tradition continues with the Mustang's signature taillights being three seperate elements while once again being transformed with an Italian flare by aligning them in a sleak arrow shape that overlaps onto the trunk. The reverse white lights are subtly hidden in the retro 60s design of the rear trunk emblem. More American car styling is pulled in with cues from the 50s as the carbon fiber fenders give the slightest hint of tailfins. The sporty 20" custom rims are fitted with 275/40 tires on the front and larger 315/35 tires on the rear.

But this car is much more than being all show; thanks to Ford Racing it has a lot of GO harkening to the Mustang's heritage of performance with an enhanced powertrain and chasis. An intercooled twin-screw supercharger has been added to the 4.6L V8 along with Ford GT fuel injectors, a 95mm mass air meter, a conical air filter and a custom tune. Ford racing mufflers and an xpipe have been installed to improve exhaust flow. A Ford Racing aluminum radiator provides the increased cooling for the 500HP the motor now puts out thanks to the 11psi from the SC. The Ford Racing Handling Pack perfectly compliments the FR500C inspired chasis with Dynamic-tuned dampers, lowering springs and anti-sway bars; lowering the car 1.5".

"The Mustang by Giugiaro drives as good as it looks," said Fabrizio Giugiaro. "After taking it to the limits on streets outside of Turin, I can honestly say this car was well worth the 30,000 hours of blood, sweat and tears that we invested to create a modern performance classic."

I will post links to full galleries once Brad oks it.

Old 12/4/06, 03:32 PM

Old 12/4/06, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

sweet...

I'll take that one and let you guys know how she drives when i'm done..
Old 12/4/06, 03:42 PM

Keep checking back for more pics and writeups!
Old 12/4/06, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey! Isn't that guy in the brown, the guy that was standing behind the car in the spy photo.
Old 12/4/06, 05:59 PM

yes if you are refering to the one I sent Ricard, that is Fabrizio Giugiaro
Old 12/4/06, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

UGH, I just dont know what to think about it yet, looks like a cross between the concept camaro and a 1994 Mustang, and those doors are oh so beyond trendy at best.
But I do realize it is only a styling exercise, so I appreciate the hard work that went into it.
Old 12/4/06, 08:11 PM
GT Member

its way to ahead of its time. to futuristic. I still think its ugly thought...check back with me in 2020.
Old 12/4/06, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I admire the Man for his talent!! Great Job
Old 12/4/06, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd like to thank rrbello & Bill for all of this awsome work ! Like they didn't enjoy it ? kidding Wow I like that car but you two should have a picture of each behind the wheel !
Old 12/4/06, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I'd like to thank rrbello & Bill for all of this awsome work ! Like they didn't enjoy it ? kidding Wow I like that car but you two should have a picture of each behind the wheel !
thank you

and while I did my best to crawl around, in and out of the car to get the pics we technically werent allowed in the car so I dont know how long sitting in it wouldve lasted, it definately wouldnt have happened twice and I didnt want to over step by bounds. So I did the next best thing the last pic is of Bill inside the car, well he was standing behind the rear camera but his image appeared inside....lol
Old 12/4/06, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for taking the pictures for us all! That interior looks like a train wreck though.
Old 12/5/06, 12:01 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for giving us pictures of all the angles we haven't seen before. I still think this is a great looking car.
Old 12/5/06, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shatter
Thanks for taking the pictures for us all! That interior looks like a train wreck though.
I agree.
Looks like a cow vomited in there.
Old 12/5/06, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrobello
... So I did the next best thing the last pic is of Bill inside the car, well he was standing behind the rear camera but his image appeared inside....lol
Yes, that one is by far my favorite!

And incase any of you missed it, here's the official introduction video (shot by me )...

YouTube link
Old 12/5/06, 04:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Love the front I like the interior except for the shifter and the seats. Don't like the rear tail lights.
Old 12/5/06, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice pics and video! As much as I love this car, it'll never make it to production, however, I'm sure that Ford will adopt some aspects of the design for its new model.
Old 12/5/06, 04:46 PM

There never was any intention of putting it into production
Old 12/5/06, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like it besides for the rear end. I think that it is an awesome design but I really don't think it will work here. I wonder why Ford is showing thier hand so soon on this?
Old 12/5/06, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by rmays06
I like it besides for the rear end. I think that it is an awesome design but I really don't think it will work here. I wonder why Ford is showing thier hand so soon on this?
once again there was never a plan to put it in production but according to prior rumors Ford has been working on the next Mustang since before the Camaro concept was shown off and to give you of how long theyve been working on a fastback with hips idea, this car took over 30,000 hours to build, that is almost 3 and a half years

Quick Reply: LA Auto Show Pics and Write Up! 56K WARNING!!!