Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

water leak problem on '06+ mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/07, 04:33 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
All is good so far, it rained hard last week and my stang sat outside for about 7 1/2 hours and I drove through it too. Checked gromit, wires, and SJB all were dry.
Maybe they actually got around to fixing it on our cars, Tom.

Now you just have to keep an eye on the prematurely dying battery issue...

...oh, and that crackling sound from behind the center gauges.
Old 4/12/07, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Maybe they actually got around to fixing it on our cars, Tom.

Now you just have to keep an eye on the prematurely dying battery issue...

...oh, and that crackling sound from behind the center gauges.
Torrential down pours for central NJ today, believe me when I tell you if my car was going to leak it would be today. Checked while I was parking today all was dry. I will check fully when I get home, though I am pretty much going to say I am a-ok for this problem. I just don't think that after all this (my accident) my luck could be THAT bad.
Old 4/12/07, 05:50 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Torrential down pours for central NJ today, believe me when I tell you if my car was going to leak it would be today. Checked while I was parking today all was dry. I will check fully when I get home, though I am pretty much going to say I am a-ok for this problem. I just don't think that after all this (my accident) my luck could be THAT bad.
I suspect we're probably both gonna dodge the leak bullet. Fingers crossed.
Old 4/19/07, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone noticed this problem getting worse after it first starts? Originally I only had leaks if I drove through a touchless carwash that had an underbody spray. Now I have a problem whenever it rains. I don't even have to be driving it. Merely siting in the driveway results in a leak.
Old 4/26/07, 09:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

My 06 leaked in two places. One was a seam that wasn't sealed correctly and the other was at the base of the windshield. It took two attempts to fix. So far knock on wood everything is dry. Mine never got the carpet wet on top or made it over to the SJB. It just soaked the firewall foam and the pad under the carpet. If I hadn't read about it over on mustangforums I would have never know I had a leak until it started smelling. According to what I have read any car made after 10/06 has this problem fixed.
Old 4/30/07, 12:41 AM
V6 Member

Mine leaked on the passenger side also it would get water into the junction box and my key fob would not work, I could still start the car but had no brake lights or speedo I think it just affects what ever fuses get wet. After I would let it dry out everthing seemed ok. Dealer replaced junction box and pad under front carpet and supossedly fixed the leak but it hasn't rained since for me to tell.
Old 5/2/07, 10:08 PM
GT Member

Well my vert is going back for water leak check. The passenger floomats are ok, but the passenger door and door sill are always wet. It seems like the door is full of water; drips on opening and drips onto the sill. Anyone have something similar???

Scott
Old 5/2/07, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
Well my vert is going back for water leak check. The passenger floomats are ok, but the passenger door and door sill are always wet. It seems like the door is full of water; drips on opening and drips onto the sill. Anyone have something similar???

Scott

Do you have a pic?
Old 5/2/07, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Scott
Each door has 2 drain holes at the bottom of door. Some S197s have both drain holes plugged (with plastic grommet).. others 1 or none. Just a shot in the dark here, but if you have both holes plugged, try removing and see if they drain properly.
Old 5/3/07, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I have noticed twice that after washing my car there were drops of water on the inside of my driver's side quarter panel window.
Old 5/3/07, 07:49 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Each door has 2 drain holes at the bottom of door. Some S197s have both drain holes plugged (with plastic grommet).. others 1 or none. Just a shot in the dark here, but if you have both holes plugged, try removing and see if they drain properly.
I'm told those are not meant to be removed. Their function is to prevent larger debris from ENTERING the drain holes. Water itself can still get out past those plastic barriers. I'm also told that they may be designed to channel air through them and thereby clear away any lingering water around the opening itself.
Old 5/3/07, 11:37 PM
GT Member

The rear drain plugs are there on both driver and passenger sides, but the more forward drain slots are open on both d and p sides (no black plastic cover).
There is way too much moisture and condensation on the sill when I open the passenger door and the door seems to drip all time...worse when raining.
Try to get a couple pics on the weekend.
Old 5/5/07, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
The drain holes have nothing to do with the water on the door sills. There is a door gasket between these holes and the sills. I believe water is coming in from around the window seals and running down the edge of the door on the INSIDE edge of the door gasket. Between this and the water on my passenger carpet I'm seriously considering getting rid of this car.
Old 5/5/07, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I only drive my 47 coupe when the weather is bad BUT you guys still have me worring. The old 60 yr. old Ford doesnt leak
Old 5/30/07, 11:09 PM
GT Member

Cool door full of water

Well she is back from the dealer, apparently the door drains were clogged with pine needles....my house IS surrounded with trees, so it is a plausable explanation. They apparently removed some plastic cover to allow the door to drain more freely. Why was the cover there in the first place then?

We shall see with this weekend's wash and wax fest.
Old 6/2/07, 08:45 PM

Well she is back from the dealer, apparently the door drains were clogged with pine needles....my house IS surrounded with trees, so it is a plausable explanation. They apparently removed some plastic cover to allow the door to drain more freely. Why was the cover there in the first place then?

We shall see with this weekend's wash and wax fest.
See my post 3 posts up regarding these drain holes. Several dealers seem to be trying to convince owners that these drain holes have something to do with the leaks. I say that's complete
Old 6/9/07, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by mbkintner
See my post 3 posts up regarding these drain holes. Several dealers seem to be trying to convince owners that these drain holes have something to do with the leaks. I say that's complete

Yes sir it is complete BS....it has been raining like heck here this week and the passenger door sill is soaking wet and the door continues to drip from the 'fixed' drain hole. It is a rust trap IMHO
Old 6/9/07, 11:31 PM
FR500 Member

so sorry to hear this still hasn't been resolved yet, Scott.
Old 6/10/07, 02:40 PM
Closet American

Yes sir it is complete BS....it has been raining like heck here this week and the passenger door sill is soaking wet and the door continues to drip from the 'fixed' drain hole. It is a rust trap IMHO
Scott - you're not still going to those idiots out at Coastal in Burnaby, are you?
Old 6/10/07, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Scott - you're not still going to those idiots out at Coastal in Burnaby, are you?

No it was the other dealer....not much better result unfortunately.
The first one is going to get my sill painted this week, so that is good.

I haven't had the HUGE passenger side leak that started this all out, but I have avoided driving the car the same conditions as when that happened...b/c I know she is leaking over the sill and a longer drive in a big rain will flood the passenger side.

Love this car, but Ford really has f-up'd the water seals on this thing..and can't or won't solve it.

Quick Reply: water leak problem on '06+ mustangs